Good estimate for a 60 hour a week job?

Shoredave

I have seen everything from $1 an hour to $30 an hour. Also people including wear and tear? How many miles a night can it be downtown? I know it varies but there has to be an average of some kind. I have no issues with driving at odd or late hours. I also realize there could be quick hit days for events, but on a normal week?

Also is it hard to make the minimum ride numbers in Baltimore for all these promotions? And finally is there a sign up promotion right now and if both the person and referral driver get it, why wouldn't you just become a professional recruiter?

IERide

I think it will probably be closer to (negative) $-5/hr to $40/hr. .. YMMV ..
I think the real money might be in recruiting, but you never know when they may end the bonuses.. I've also read about a lot of people not getting paid for their signups.

Shoredave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How can you make negative money? At this point I don't think vehicle wear and tear is really valid when you take into account the tax deduction for mileage and/or depreciation.

IERide

How can you make negative money?
Go on a trip that pays say, $25, but it costs you $26 in fuel.. Like a long ride out to the airport.. the whole ride back you dont get paid.. If your car doesnt get good mileage, or if the ride back is through the hills or something, it can cost you more than you made.. Search the forum for "Dead miles" ..

Shoredave

That sounds pretty extreme. My car gets about 24 mpg and gas is $2.10. So $26 dollars is 12 gal or 288 miles or a 144 mile paid trip plus 144 minutes. Seems like more than a $25 fare. I appreciate any info I can get but I am looking for the week to week norm, not the one fair abhoration even if it's true. Thanks

IERide

If you waste a lot of time driving around waiting for your next ping you are also burning up fuel $$ without being paid.. Dont forget to factor in the car payment, insurance, depreciation, repairs, maintainace, etc.. It's not that difficult to drive for Uber and lose money. A lot of people quit because of "negative earnings" (aka, losing money) but you can avoid it by being smart & careful.

Shoredave

Thanks. In the short term gas, oil changes, and car washes seem to be the only thing to subtract from the paycheck. I own the car and mileage and/or depreciation is tax deductible. If you do it for a long time you probably will run into tires and things a little more often but in the short term I can't see losing money.

I am trying to get some info on number of pings and average money in Baltimore. I think as long as you are downtown you probably don't need to drive around between fares. You just park in the middle of town and wait or near the bar and restaurant area.

Lyft claims its about $20 an hour. Less in the middle of the day and more from evening rush hour to bar close. But I can see where you could make less than minimum wage. I have seen other studies that say after all expenses it's about $12.50 in Baltimore or DC. I need to clear about $1000 a week to make it worthwhile. At 10 hours a day x 6 days it needs to be about $16 or it's probably not viable

ABC123DEF

How can you make negative money? At this point I don't think vehicle wear and tear is really valid when you take into account the tax deduction for mileage and/or depreciation.
Drive for Uber for awhile and you'll learn all about earning negative money, grasshopper.

Shoredave

Another post with no information. People are obviously making money or they could find a better way to give away their money. You may have to work odd hours to make a good average or long hours to make more total, but people aren't just donating their time and money.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
Another post with no information. People are obviously making money or they could find a better way to give away their money. You may have to work odd hours to make a good average or long hours to make more total, but people aren't just donating their time and money.
There are times where money can be made. In most markets, working Friday and Saturday nights can be decent. You run the risk of having someone puke in your car though. Rush hours can be decent as well, but they can be hell on your engine and brakes. The rest of the time, in most markets, you'd be lucky to make minimum wage. Making less than minimum wage is "profitable", but it's not enough to make a living doing it. Uber is something that should be done part time to supplement a real income.

Shoredave

Thank you. The more I find out, this sounds like the most likely scenario. It could help. I had a 90k job but in my area I may have to settle for around 65k to get back to work. An extra 1000-1500 a month for working weekends and evening rush could be an answer while finding the higher paying job or reducing my debt. Thanks again.

Everyone keeps mentioning people puking in their car. Does it really happen that much?

DelaJoe

I work an area where there is a lot of surge. So I do okay. After expenses (gas, car, and meals) I am bringing in about $15/hour and that is mostly tax free. Gas is a minimal expense..you get 250 miles for every $30 you will be fine. Now working in the city you will make less...maybe $8-10/hour but you will use less gas. Uber is a great parttime job especially if you work the surge hours. As a fulltime job it stinks...find something else. You will have some incidents on occasion. I have had 3 or 4 difficult situations in about 1250 trips. 1 throwup in the car and 2 throwups after the door was open. Some girls that didn't get out of the car. A guy that decided to come out in the front seat of car with girlfriend in the back...I was his target. A guy grabbing me twice in the back of the neck while I was driving, a drug deal, a guy and gal fighting and the gal crying in the front seat.