1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Gold-Plated 2¢ Advice On How to Survive Financially

Discussion in 'Other' started by circle1, Jan 22, 2018.

1. circle1

circle1

This really S H O U L D go into the Advice forum;

I've been on UberPeople.net for 1-1/2 years now. I'm reading the progressively desperate tone of drivers concerning their financial condition, and how these feudal-lord "Gig Economy" companies are cutting their income potential, and in some instances even blocking their ability to make money.

This post is for people who do not have the luxury of turning their app off

If cognitive dissonance or hard/stern speech makes you uncomfortable, please do not read any further. This is not a touchy-feely post.

First, I've been studying finance and human affairs in government, war and business for many years now, and I can tell you of a certainty that we are no longer living in a nation ruled by law—as in under the Supreme Law of the Land—The Constitution. Going forward, people will have to learn the new rules. Here they are:

1) Only people who choose their words wisely, keep their eyes open and move when action is needed will survive.

2) Only people who have resources will have some semblance of liberty. People/groups/corporations possessing vast amounts of wealth will (directly or indirectly) dispense or grant access to those resources.

3) People who complain too much, or without being in possession of their reason, will be left behind. People who are positive and understand that the reason for human beings' existence is to serve, will find purpose and will (have a chance to) find meaning.

4) There are no guarantees.

[WHEW!] Ok, now that that's out of the way, here's the advice:

If you can meet all you're financial obligations without sweat (worry), on time, consistently, year-in-and-year-out, you will be free from financial stress (and seriously jack-up your credit score [if you're into that]). Being free from financial stress will in turn free-up mental and physical energies to concentrate on gaining access to resources (think; skills advancement, networking, starting your own business (which takes VAST amounts of time & resources!!), etc.. Gaining resources will in turn enable you to—and this is an endpoint—serve on your terms!!

You're probably saying, "Circle1, how am I supposed to meet all my financial obligations next month, let alone year-in-and-year out??" Or, "I have dependents that I care for, and bills that aren't going away for as long as I'm on this Earth!" Is this a Chicken-Egg riddle???

No!

There is now a permanent underclass in the United States—actually, there's always been one all over the world, but we've been a genteel, polite and "advanced" society for so long we've conveniently transformed these people into something, err . . . something more palatable. You don't believe you'll wind up in this category? OkayhaveanicedayBUHBYE! But, are you in this category? Do you think you might join this category soon? Wouldn't it therefor be better to be underclass on your terms?!

F I N A L L Y

If you will see the sheer advantage, swallow your pride, make preparations and marshal what resources you do have (esp. friends and family), then here's how you can have a chance at staying well above the poverty line for the rest of your put-togethers:

Live two "klicks" above the homeless for at least one year, preferably two+.
    Strip yourself of just about everything that WAS considered standard-of-living over the past 60 or 70 years in Western Societies (with the obvious exception of advancements in health and sanitation, of course!). For some people, that's going to mean living out of a car . . . well, wouldn't you rather do that knowing that there would most-likely be an end to it (all other things remaining equal [no guarantees]??

Hell, I did it. I may have to do it again, for all I know!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  2. circle1

circle1

"Whuh," indeed!

3. Are you taking about living in your car at the airport lot while you rideshare?

4. circle1

circle1

Is that what you read?

5. Can’t say I’m sure what I read. Seems you’re saying something about the rules changing for the middle class in ‘Merica and that we have moved closer to, what, Third World status with a permanent underclass that resembles a similar class in other societies.

6. circle1

circle1

1) middle class . . . ?? That appears to be what you read into it . . . this is called "noise" in communication theory.
    2) the permanent underclass is, in my opinion, those people who have very little or no access to resources to improve themselves, and/or are situated economically and socially such that whatever resources are/were available are rendered moot (e.g., they have to work so many hours and take care of dependents that they have precious little time left to address their future and research their options and network).

7. To me, your whole diatribe is noise. Sorry

And we’re the only two talking in this thread.

But, whatevs

8. Anyone want to become my downstream Amway distributor?

Ugh. I just threw up a little in my mouth.:eek:

9. circle1

circle1

If that helps cleanse what your eyes and mind took in (though filtered through self-introduced noise), then go in peace. Obviously, you took a jab at me, so that tells me something struck home—but it's probably down deep in your subconscious.

Or . . . or, you could point out intelligently exactly what it is you're having trouble digesting . . . "the doctor is in."

Talk to me . . .

10. Naw, I can’t keep up with you. You go on.

11. circle1

circle1

. . . Well, begin with what you found in my "attack, or criticism, " or, "prolonged discourse," so . . . disagreeable, was it?

12. circle1

circle1

HERE, lookit this, if you don't understand this rant . . .

Checking In On The Four Intersecting Cycles
    Monetary Metals's blog
    Authored by Charles Hugh Smith via OfTwoMinds blog,

If you think this is a robust, resilient, stable system, please check your Ibogaine / Hopium / Delusionol intake.

Correspondent James D. recently asked for an update on the four intersecting cycles I've been writing about for the past 10 years. Here's the chart I prepared back in 2008 of four long-term cycles:

1. Generational (political/social)

2. Price inflation/wage stagnation (economic)

3. Credit/debt expansion/contraction (financial)

4. Relative affordability of energy (resources)

[​IMG]

Here are four of the many dozens of essays I've written on these topics over the past decade:

Long Cycles: Cheaper Goods, Costlier Capital, Income Disparity Increases (August 1, 2008)

Beyond the False Dawn: Global Crisis 2020-2022 (February 18, 2011)

A Disintegrative Winter: The Debt and Anti-Status Quo Super-Cycle Has Turned (December 5, 2016)

We're in a Boiling-Point Crisis of Exploitive Elites (June 19, 2017)

The key point that's not communicated in the chart is there are dynamics that interact with each of these cycles. For example, demographics are influencing each of these trends in self-reinforcing ways.

Governments are borrowing more to fund the promises made to seniors decades ago when there were relatively few retirees compared to the working populace. Now that the ratio of those collecting government benefits to workers is 1-to-2 (one retiree for every worker), the system is buckling.

The "solution" is to borrow increasing sums from future taxpayers to fund pay-as-you-go healthcare and pension programs for retirees.

Technology is another dynamic that is actively influencing all these cycles in self-reinforcing ways. As technology is substituted for human labor, wages stagnate and the size of the populace paying taxes dwindles accordingly. The "solution" is once again to borrow more to substitute for declining purchasing power.

The dynamics driving wealth/income inequality and the rise of politically/financially dominant elites are also powering these cycles. As Peter Turchin has explained--a topic covered in my essay When Did Our Elites Become Self-Serving Parasites? (October 4, 2016)-- social disunity / discord rises when the number of people promised a spot in the elite far exceeds the actual number of slots available.

In summary, the four cycles are intact and poised to intersect in a very messy fashion within the next decade. various centralized efforts have been made to paper over the secular stagnation, political polarization, brewing generational wars, resistance to globalism, rising cost of capital, decay of opportunity, soaring debts, rising dominance of speculation / malinvestment /mis-allocation of capital, diminishing returns on centralization, the marriage of Orwell, Huxley and Kafka in officially sanctioned propaganda, increasingly dysfunctional and self-serving institutions and the rising costs of energy, but every one of these makeshift efforts further erodes the resilience of the overall system and increases systemic fragility and vulnerability to self-reinforcing failures of key subsystems.

Here are a few charts that illustrate the trends / cycles:

Total systemic debt: note that the tiny wobble in credit expansion in 2008 nearly collapsed the entire global financial system.

[​IMG]

Here's political polarization: notice any common ground?

[​IMG]

The elites that are safely protected by the moat of the status quo are doing just fine while the disgruntled debt-serfs who were promised security and rising wages/wealth are massing beyond the moat.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, asset bubbles and soaring debt are the status quo's go-to fix for every problem:

[​IMG]

If you think this is a robust, resilient, stable system, please check your Ibogaine / Hopium / Delusionol intake.

yogi bear likes this.