1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Going to start driving Uber soon.

Discussion in 'Bradenton & Sarasota' started by mvg, Apr 6, 2016.

1. mvg

mvg New Member

What is it like working the Sarasota Bradenton area. Do you end up out of the area often. Is staying near the airport or either downtown profitable? Thanks

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. Srfeatsleepfl

Srfeatsleepfl Member

I started out just finding hubs to hang out in centralize yourself so that you can get around quickly and efficiently and yes it is profitable. In our town here it's 95cents a mile in st Pete and hillsborough its 65 cents a mile so even without the surge it can make you money just remember to drive safe be respectful and have a good time. Good luck

3. RedoBeach

RedoBeach Well-Known Member

You can pick where you start in any city, but you can never predict where you will end up. Unless you plan on driving back and forth a ton between requests, you will also never end up "staying" in one area really.

I don't work in the Sarasota market, but I was shocked to see the answer above saying $.95 and $.65 are profitable and " so even without surge it can make you money." No offense, but only someone not yet familiar with their true expenses or an Uber employee would say that..

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    BostonTaxiDriver likes this.
  4. Srfeatsleepfl

Srfeatsleepfl Member

No I said the 95cents a mile can be profitable my vehicle is paid for I do my own maintenance so costs are low. I am not an average driver that drives every single day from sunup to sundown I pick and choose when to drive. Wherever I end up after my ride I stay there and wait for the next one so I do make money with less dead head traveling.

Arambling likes this.
  5. RedoBeach

It doesn't matter if your car is paid for or not.. The car still depreciates the more you drive and there is still a cost in maintenance and gas even if you don't dead head often. It is impossible to avoid dead miles all together, as you never know where you will end up.

I don't think people that drive for $.95/mile or $.65/mile and think it is profitable have factored in taxes and expenses. This is what Uber prays on. When drivers stop driving for these rates, Uber steps up and offers incentives. But they don't do that as long as the drivers allow it.

6. Srfeatsleepfl

Srfeatsleepfl Member

I'm not saying I make a huge profit I do this for fun to get out of the house and yes I do make money this car will not be worth anything once I'm done with it anyways it's an older model and still gets the job done so for now yes I am profiting off of this but I try to work surges just as much as the next person and I seem to do pretty well as our island here stays pretty busy and I live right off it so the miles don't add up as fast. Now for the taxes if you are a smart individual and keep track of what your spending and keep records then most of what is owed in taxes gets written off. Again I am not a full time driver but there is money to be made maybe not outside of my area but if you work the system there are dollars to be made. All I was trying to tell someone is that if you are smart there is something to be made most people are not in that sense or misinformed as it may be through this grand scheme that uber will make you rich it will not but if you don't quit your day job and just work when it's convenient then I think you will be just fine.

Arambling likes this.
  7. RedoBeach

Not trying to get on your case.. Just trying to let you know that if enough drivers stop driving at certain rates, Uber will make changes. They did in my market after losing many drivers in February, and the LA market as well. In LA, drivers all logged out simultaneously so there were no cars available. Using the passenger app, once the fares surged to 2x plus, they would log on and accept trips. Here, enough drivers just stopped driving or switched to Lyft so Uber had to create bonuses and incentives to get them back again. It takes a collective movement for each city, but I just wanted to let you know the power is in your hands. Wish you the best!!

8. Srfeatsleepfl

Srfeatsleepfl Member

I 100% agree but most people here are retired or just don't care believe me if more people looked at these sites and did their research then we could all make good but no one cares about driving around in circles in hopes of the 3 dollar fare

9. RedoBeach

Plenty of people care... That's exactly how we got Uber to offer us better incentives. You don't have to leave your house or drive around in circles to log in or log out.

Arambling likes this.
  10. DrivingStPete

DrivingStPete Well-Known Member

Stay away from IMG kids. And the restaurants they eat at.

11. dnlbaboof

dnlbaboof Well-Known Member

95 cents a mile is pretty low, the only way to make decent money with those rates are long trips on the freeway with little traffic

12. DrivingStPete

DrivingStPete Well-Known Member

The benefit of Bradenton is that it's the small town between larger cities. Upwardly mobile folks leave to work, play and eats. The other parts of town are just like any place usa with all the same issues.

But it's still hit or miss, and too low a rate. Yet the affluent population on the rivers, bay and in the ranch like to get out of Bradenton.

13. Arambling

Arambling Member

Do the affluent use X and XL to go out or is it mostly Select or Lux/Black car ?

14. Slim Pete

Slim Pete Well-Known Member

You're a smart person and you're just wasting your time and energy trying to explain this stuff.
    Better to spend your time more productively.

RedoBeach likes this.
  15. RedoBeach

Eventually people see on their own. Doesn't take long, but for some it takes longer..

tohunt4me likes this.
  16. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Don't get shot or carjacked over pennies.

Dapper likes this.
  17. Dapper

Dapper Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I did some uber in ct and it was 1.10 per mile and then of course uber takes 25% - I stopped after 2 months because I didn't see it as profitable at all- way too many dead miles for me - there is no way 95 cents and 65 cents are profitable - anyone who would say that is living in a fantasy world or smoking some real good ****- I did 2 months of uber and will never do anymore passengers -we have uber eats in ct and I changed my profile to just delivery which pays 1.60 per mile and not exactly sure of the base in that - no more passengers for me just food delivery- much easier to deal with than some of the passengers that I encountered

tohunt4me likes this.