• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Going to Perth Australia

MedicMan

My wife and I are spending a month in Perth Australia and I have contacted a few Uber drivers there to see how they are doing. It will be interesting to see what differences they have. From my conversations with them they are not making much money at all. They were talking about 16UAD per hour which is really bad. That is like 11USD per hour.

At any rate it will be interesting to see how they do it down under. I will report here when I get back.

Good'ay mate.

Mista T

Author
Find out how they like driving for the competition. Here we have Lyft, I think Aust has Taxify (changing name to Bolt). Maybe they have Ola. I'm not sure. Anyhow, have a great trip!

MedicMan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have fun, and pay attention to that other lane thing.
Yea, I have dealt with that in the past and it takes some getting used to. It's been years since I drove in the left lane, about the same time I quit drinking....just kidding...8-}

MedicMan

Leaving Sunday for a month. If I get a chance I will post some of my thoughts and conversations with some drivers about ride sharing down under.

MedicMan

Well, I have had several Uber rides down under. The drivers are pretty nice and friendly. Once I tell them that I am an Uber driver from Oregon and tell them how Uber is slowly screwing us they let it all hang out. I have only had 2 rides but both of them were not happy and were looking for other options. They get paid even less that we do in PDX. On a good day they can make a about 16AUD per hour. That is about 12USD. Not good. One of the drivers actually bought a car to drive for Uber and he felt trapped because he has to work at last enough to make the payments for the next 5 years. The other driver was retired and only did it to get out of the house, which is why I do it. He said he wished he could get paid more but doesn't plan on stopping. He didn't have much good to say about Uber either.

On top of that fuel down here is 1.40AUD per liter. That is about 3.80USD per gallon.

At least they don't have near the traffic problems like we have in Portland.

UberXL is 4.50AUD and 0.50AUD per mile (3.32USD and 0.36USD) and that is to Uber. The driver gets a lot less of course. That is not a lot of money. I don't see how they can make any money at all driving ride sharing.