Uber Drivers Forum banner

Gogo grandparent

4K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  UberBastid 
#1 ·
I got 2 requests for the gogo grandparent today and I just let them time out because I did not want to deal with any old people, anybody else do this ?

#6 ·
I have no problem with senior citizens as passengers. They are polite, respectful and punctual. Some will even tip you. But my experience with GoGo has been horrendous here in NJ. They are sending elderly people with significant mobility problems to get into your car. Many of these people also have dementia or Alzheimer's and travel without a nurse or aide to help them. Not a risk I am willing to take for the tiny fee paid. These passengers need skilled medical care and customized transportation.

#8 ·
Most of them tip you and are polite , Millennials are the ones you should worry about, they were never taught to tip.

Starting with Uber.
Their original advertising propaganda....which I THINK they took down.....showed the grandson sitting with the Grandmother as she gleefully exclaimed: "It's cheaper for one thing...and NO TIPPING!" :eek:

https://uberpeople.net/threads/gogo-grandparents.144413/

So beware of the millennials who are 'helping out' their grandparents! :mad:

#15 ·
I did one out of LAX. She was downstairs and I had to tell her that she needed to come upstairs. She was going far, so I gave her some latitude. She was ok, but at the end of the trip I helped her with her luggage up a flight of stairs and she stiffed me on a tip.

#17 ·
If that's how you feel, you're out of touch. GOGO Grandparent users give big cash tips, are respectful, and polite.

You sound like a self-entitled millennial to be honest.

Old people generally rock as passengers.... your call on this. Just be sure to explain they don't need to give you cash because that's double-dipping and probably you'll get caught.
They give you your TIP in cash. Make sure they understand that the fare is charged to their card but not the tip.

Lyft do not even give drivers the courtesy of a consultation or right of refusal about assuming the risk of transporting elderly, immobile, gravely ill senior citizens with dementia. Lyft is the gaslighting boyfriend....
There is always a text from GOGO giving the option to cancel if we can't accommodate or help them.

And also, the ADA is a federal requirement that we give assistance to handicapped. The same federal law does not allow a "handicapped surcharge". If you don't like it, complain to your congressman, LOL.

#24 · (Edited)
Yes I get a few a week. They don’t tip because it’s set up through a phone system and they usually are short rides to and from the hospital, grocery store etc. often the riders can be grumpy and easily fluster. Also about half the time the rider isn’t at the pickup and I’ll end up not being able to find them or I’ll get to the destination and they cancel. I try to repay the elderly by being nice and giving them a ride in return for good karma later in life. Some have really great stories of perseverance and hard work, how they meet their loved ones etc. makes me feel like my millennial generation really F’d. Hoping Gen Z can learn from our mistakes

#30 ·
Had one GoGo Grandparent in Santa Monica...immediately received a text mssg that PAX may need special assistance with her wheel chair...I thought why not? Ok, so the app sent me to the wrong location, the PAX called and said she was a block away, so I go get her. She is in one of those motorized mobility chairs and she has 2 bags of groceries. At this point I am thinking 'what have I got myself into?' So, I load her groceries into the back, breakdown her wheel chair/cart and load it into the back and get her buckled into the passenger seat...This is way over my pay grade, I am thinking and I start to worry about the liability as she was complaining of pain once she got into the car...Anyway, I drive her just a few miles to her house and repeat the process at the old folks home she was staying at...worst of all NO TIP!!! Never again, next time I will ignore ALL GoGo Grandparent requests it is not worth the trouble and frankly, they should be using a dedicated service for the elderly.

#31 ·
Had one GoGo Grandparent in Santa Monica...immediately received a text mssg that PAX may need special assistance with her wheel chair...I thought why not? Ok, so the app sent me to the wrong location, the PAX called and said she was a block away, so I go get her. She is in one of those motorized mobility chairs and she has 2 bags of groceries. At this point I am thinking 'what have I got myself into?' So, I load her groceries into the back, breakdown her wheel chair/cart and load it into the back and get her buckled into the passenger seat...This is way over my pay grade, I am thinking and I start to worry about the liability as she was complaining of pain once she got into the car...Anyway, I drive her just a few miles to her house and repeat the process at the old folks home she was staying at...worst of all NO TIP!!! Never again, next time I will ignore ALL GoGo Grandparent requests it is not worth the trouble and frankly, they should be using a dedicated service for the elderly.
Grandma has a motorized chair, and my Dad used one, so I'm sensitive to the plight of people with mobility issues.

That said, I probably would have canceled that ride.

There are 3 obvious problems with the ride:
  • Most important (and there is a reason why I know this), you could injure yourself dismantling, loading, unloading, and reassembling the scooter.
  • A pax with sufficient mobility issues to need a scooter is susceptible to injury entering and exiting your car.
  • You could damage the scooter in the process.
And you're accepting all that liability for what? Ten bucks?

That lady needs specialized transportation services -- AND your city probably has those service available at little or NO cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.