• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

GM and everyone else is now fully vested in AV tech race.

Karl Marx

VW/Audi/Porche just recently made a commitment 10's of billions in electric vehicle production and now GM has decided its' time to bite the bullet. From a armchair perspective it certainly looks like we are close to the end of human's behind the wheel.

My former industry is now replacing executive positions with AI software and if what I've been told is true the entire brick and mortar university and college system is also heading for a real thrashing.

We will be all spending a lot of time on own, again.

MUGATS

Karl....

The human element is where these timelines go to pot.

We still have close buttons on elevators despite the fact that 95% don’t even function.

We have crosswalk buttons despite the vast majority of them doing nothing.

People want the illusion of control. This desire will not fade among a growing, aging population.

This will be fought every single step of the way. This is not automation in trains or planes where people have always surrendered their control to a pilot/engineer. This is their car hurdling down the road at 100kph+.

This will take decades to implement in a large scale.

Ashoor

I understand the need for electric vehicles. But I still don’t understand why companies are falling over their faces to come up with autonomous vehicles. Is it because Tesla is doing it and it looks cool? Do these companies that with autonomous vehicles, people will buy less cars? If I drive to work, I can send my car home to pick up my wife and take her to work and when she arrives, she will send that car to me and so on.

Athos

You have to laugh at the dinosaurs. Jim Kenzie, senior car reviewer for the Toronto Star wrote this last Saturday:

[Hyundai] knows, as any thinking person does, that gasoline will continue to be by far the dominant player for at least another half-century.
Hyundai also understands that battery powered vehicles will never be more than bit players- again, where are we supposed to get enough electricity to replace all the gasoline we burn?
Simply, we never will.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
You have to laugh at the dinosaurs. Jim Kenzie, senior car reviewer for the Toronto Star wrote this last Saturday:

[Hyundai] knows, as any thinking person does, that gasoline will continue to be by far the dominant player for at least another half-century.
Hyundai also understands that battery powered vehicles will never be more than bit players- again, where are we supposed to get enough electricity to replace all the gasoline we burn?
Simply, we never will.
Kenzie is increasingly a sad little Troll pretending to be a journalist. His 'hot takes' on various innovations in the auto industry are generally ill informed, and his 'my VW Diesel is the best vehicle ever' attitude completely neglects the environmental cost to those around him. DINOSAUR is exactly the right word, he exhibits the worst traits of the Baby Boom generation.

(Oh and BTW, Jim (if you're listening), Hyundai also have the Ioniq platform which has a full EV in there, so wrong again, Friendo, Hyundai is just fine with EVs going forward!)

Take this little chestnut:

As long as everyone in your neighbourhood doesn’t buy an electric car. If they do, the entire neighbourhood probably burns to the ground. You will also have to live with the fact that the manufacture and eventual disposal of battery-powered cars is significantly more impactful on the environment — shipping all that toxic lithium to make the batteries from Bolivia to China and back again on bunker-C-fuelled ships, etc.

Does he not realize that it takes as much energy to REFINE the gasoline as it does to DRIVE an EV? And yea, all that crude has to be shipped by boat, rail or pipeline, then put in a truck after its gas and diesel-hauled to filling stations. MY LORD, this guy is a tool of the highest order.

Everything in that statement is patently false and calculated in full by various neutral scientific, peer reviewed bodies. I detest people that spread likes so flippantly.

Athos

Here's a letter I sent to him two years ago. You'll like this Kurt Halfyard .

As a car guy and a Star subscriber I often read the wheels section though I usually ignore your articles. I did read your article about the Bolt, however, and I have two comments. Firstly, by saying that low rolling resistance tires are hard tires with lower grip I think that you have made a simplification. There are many engineering aspects other than rubber hardness but even if you just refer to rubber there have been huge improvements recently. Note that Consumer Reports has the latest Michelin and Nokian offerings as the top snow tires and they are both low rolling resistance tires.

Secondly, You work calculations of electric cars into world carbon emissions and conclude that any carbon reduction is insignificant. This has nothing to do with the car and it is unfair to expect the Bolt to solve the global warming problem all by itself. All the greenie readers know your bias against the entire green movement in the automotive world. We are used to the sneering (Whoop-de-do). We simply want you to step out of your bubble and give these cars a fair chance.

I know a delivery and Uber driver (he delivers my Star) who could be really helped by a car such as the Bolt. He drives about 110,000km per year and, as part of the new social class the Precariat (precariously employed on contract), any fuel savings are a big deal for him. You don't mention the possible savings on maintenance either. That's a big omission. And the batteries don't become toxic sludge. Old batteries have a huge scrap value and are recycled. Equity, not sludge.

If you are against electric cars that's your opinion. If you have good reasons for your opinions that's fine too. But please don't tilt things to suit prior opinions. There are too many readers who read for confirmation rather than information. Please don't pander to them. Give these cars a chance by being fair and balanced.

Here's his clever response:

You open with "I usually ignore your articles" and expect a response?

Not likely.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
A letter I sent to him two years ago. You'll like this Kurt Halfyard .

Here's his clever response:
"You open with "I usually ignore your articles" and expect a response? Not likely."
Because this guy is a utter tool that fails to engage with facts, drowning in his own confirmation bias...I read his articles and cringe with all the fear-uncertainty-doubt he spreads. I'm surprised the left-leaning Toronto Star has kept publishing him.

goneubering

VW/Audi/Porche just recently made a commitment 10's of billions in electric vehicle production and now GM has decided its' time to bite the bullet. From a armchair perspective it certainly looks like we are close to the end of human's behind the wheel.

My former industry is now replacing executive positions with AI software and if what I've been told is true the entire brick and mortar university and college system is also heading for a real thrashing.

We will be all spending a lot of time on own, again.
Humans will remain driving cars for a long long time.

Athos

OK, so here's my letter to the editor of the Star. My title was: Kenzie is a dinosaur.

Re: Head to Electric Avenue, Jim Kenzie, Wheels, Saturday November 24, 2018

Why do you keep this guy on? He says:

Simply, we never will.

I don't mind him having an opinion but on this subject, in these times, it is extremely important that we have good accurate information. The above comment and other biased, anti-electric statements of his are completely out of touch with the state of the art today. Rhetorical garbage like "as any thinking person knows..." makes me think he is trolling us.

Time to give his space to someone more in tune with the present.