• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Globe & Mail editorial on the gig economy

Gargraves

See today's Globe & Mail editorial, page A10 "Workers of the (gig) world unite!"
Editorial says Uber and Lyft drivers should enjoy the same rights as employees.
It mentions California's ABC Rule, now in the state Senate, which, if passed, would declare Uber and Lyft drivers to be employees, not independent contractors.
This would mean they could unionize, minimum wages would apply, etc.
Uber says if its drivers were employees, "we would incur significant additional expenses."

This link may only work for online subscribers, I am not sure.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I like this simple ABC test outlined in the article, if something can gain serious traction in labour practices, it is going to be as simple and clear as this (ABC):

A) the worker must be free from the company’s control.
B) they must perform tasks outside the usual scope of the company’s business.
C) they must have their own independent business in the same field.

Now obviously, there is some nuance and discussion particularly around definitions of 'Control' and 'Tasks outside the Scope of a Companies Business,' but C) seems pretty straightforward, if you are not doing multiple platforms or operating outside of the various 'big gig' platforms, and have your own business, then you are an employee.

The epic sized legal battles will continue, I'm guessing until self-driving cars renders the whole situation moot.

dmoney155

See today's Globe & Mail editorial, page A10 "Workers of the (gig) world unite!"
Editorial says Uber and Lyft drivers should enjoy the same rights as employees.
It mentions California's ABC Rule, now in the state Senate, which, if passed, would declare Uber and Lyft drivers to be employees, not independent contractors.
This would mean they could unionize, minimum wages would apply, etc.
Uber says if its drivers were employees, "we would incur significant additional expenses."

This link may only work for online subscribers, I am not sure.
Well what do people expect... the money will come from thin air into driver's pockets?....obviously something got to give. This ride share thing only works because wages are so low.

Petrikov

Last several amendments without proper discussion with drivers is good example that drivers are employees.

Gargraves

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, everything is supply and demand. Passengers will take the cheapest way. If Uber and Lyft rides became more expensive, riders will turn to taxis, buses, streetcars, subways, cycling and walking. The rideshare pie will shrink dramatically.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Yes, everything is supply and demand. Passengers will take the cheapest way. If Uber and Lyft rides became more expensive, riders will turn to taxis, buses, streetcars, subways, cycling and walking. The rideshare pie will shrink dramatically.
As it should. If all these companies are operating net-negative, then there should be a market adjustment.
This adjustment, surely is in progress since the two major companies both went Public.

dmoney155

Yep, that's why Im happy way things are... if anything let drivers control their own prices. It be quick lesson for those who want more.

Speedy_Gonzales

I don’t have pipe dreams of becoming an Uber driver employee, and frankly, I don’t want to become one.

The strong will survive and the weak shall perish.

The ‘gig’ economy is perfect for strong individuals, the ones that can persevere, manipulate and take advantage of profitable situations.

If I wanted a boss I would work at RBC in a cubicle providing customer care for $16.25 per hour. Naaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks! Shoot me as many contracts as possible, I’ll Take care of them, no issues!

Petrikov

I don’t have pipe dreams of becoming an Uber driver employee, and frankly, I don’t want to become one.

The strong will survive and the weak shall perish.

The ‘gig’ economy is perfect for strong individuals, the ones that can persevere, manipulate and take advantage of profitable situations.

If I wanted a boss I would work at RBC in a cubicle providing customer care for $16.25 per hour. Naaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks! Shoot me as many contracts as possible, I’ll Take care of them, no issues!
If Uber would shoot pax’s who gave 1 star to previous driver it could break you in four hours without you knowing it.