Give me my damn Cancellation Fee, Uber!!

Julescase

I had a pax cancel 20 minutes after I had originally accepted ping - after accepting ping on the way to pax, I was stuck in the middle of hideous non-moving traffic on Barham between Forest lawn and Cahuenga. If any of you have been there recently, you know what I'm talking about. It backs up almost all the way down to Forest Lawn in the lanes traveling west. I took screenshots from the start, knowing it would be 20-25 minutes until I could get to him (pax was in hills above Cahuenga West). So 20 minutes go by that I am in this hideous traffic and all of my screenshots show the same, and then pax cancelled. It took me another 20 minutes to get to Cahuenga on the other side of the 101....

I kept checking my app to make sure I received the cancellation fee since I had been on the ride for over 20 minutes before the passenger canceled, I wrote to Uber with all of the different details and I sent screenshots from 11:40 AM up through and until 12:02 PM showing that I was on my way to the location but the traffic was Not moving, and they kept sending back that same ridiculous template email trying to say the cancellation fee didn't apply. "we understand your confusion. The cancellation fee only applies if rider cancels 5 minutes after being matched up with a driver, yada yada yada." Then I'd write back " I don't think you read my email clearly, please reread it and you'll see that I was on this ride for 22 minutes before the rider canceled it. Yada yada.." then Uber would send back the same email with something about the fact that this was a pool ride (?? What? It was Uber X!) and the regular rules don't apply to pool rides" but it wasn't a pool ride so I'd write back and say "no this was an UberX ride not a pool ride, and as my screenshots will show it was 22 minutes before the rider canceled..." then they wrote back. They kept writing about how they understood my frustration with the matter, but the details in this scenario show that a cancellation fee is not owed to me, which was complete & utter bullshit. You get the drill. At this point I was determined to get the @@@@ing cancellation fee since I deserved it, so we literally wrote back-and-forth about 35 times (25 emails and about 10-15 times in-app). @@@@ING RIDICULOUS! I'm including my screenshots of my sent emails from yesterday to Uber just to show you how many it actually took before they finally agreed and said "after reading more about the details of your situation, we have realized that you do deserve the cancellation fee"

My point here is to encourage everyone to ALWAYS take screenshots, stick to your guns, and never give up when dealing with Uber's stupid, clueless CSRs. they owe you money, yet tell you they don't; keep at it, always take screenshots of everything as proof, and just keep writing and writing because they will do everything and anything to get out of paying you, regardless of how small the amount of money. I know $3.75 isn't a big deal, but at a certain point it was the principle of the matter. They were literally making things up about the ride that were not true, saying that it was a pool ride which it wasn't, saying I was only on the ride for under five minutes which I wasn't (22 minutes!! 4 times the minimum amount of minutes necessary!!), just basically sending things that made no sense and that were not true just to get out of paying me $3.75 ! It pisses me off because I know a lot of people on this Forum would rather not deal with it and eventually give up, thinking that Uber will never turn over, but if you have proof and screenshots and you know you're right, keep at it because they can't not pay us when we are owed money. Check out how many emails I sent them yesterday within the time span of about 30-40 minutes, that's what it took for me to get my measly $3.75, and I know most people would rather not bother, but I feel that Uber depends on that complacence from drivers and we shouldn't allow them to get away with not paying every single time they should.

Sorry for the long boring message, Long story short, do not let Uber rip you off anymore than they already are; always continue going after money if it is owed to you, it doesn't matter how many times you write to them, they won't deactivate you they won't do anything but try to get out of paying it. Obviously be polite and don't threaten, just explain the scenario over and over again, give them the facts, and as long as you have screenshots of everything they can't deny you. Of course still try to deny you, but be persistent and eventually they have to pay . Look at how many emails it took before they'd admit to owing me my $3.75 for Pete's sake!

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 58

Julescase

Better yet...never Accept, or stay with a pick up that is over 6-7 minutes away. imho

I once read that if Bill Gates dropped a dollar for every step he took, it would cost him more money to stop and pick it up than to just move on...

It was a 1.6 surge going towards my destination, and less than 2 miles away; I had no idea the stupid Barham traffic would be so horrible at that time of day. Why wouldn't I accept it?

Unlike some people here, I don't have the ability to see into the future. Must be nice! :wink:

SorryBluetoothOnly

I had a pax cancel 20 minutes after I had originally accepted ping - after accepting ping on the way to pax, I was stuck in the middle of hideous non-moving traffic on Barham between Forest lawn and Cahuenga. If any of you have been there recently, you know what I'm talking about. It backs up almost all the way down to Forest Lawn in the lanes traveling west. I took screenshots from the start, knowing it would be 20-25 minutes until I could get to him (pax was in hills above Cahuenga West). So 20 minutes go by that I am in this hideous traffic and all of my screenshots show the same, and then pax cancelled. It took me another 20 minutes to get to Cahuenga on the other side of the 101....

I kept checking my app to make sure I received the cancellation fee since I had been on the ride for over 20 minutes before the passenger canceled, I wrote to Uber with all of the different details and I sent screenshots from 11:40 AM up through and until 12:02 PM showing that I was on my way to the location but the traffic was Not moving, and they kept sending back that same ridiculous template email trying to say the cancellation fee didn't apply. "we understand your confusion. The cancellation fee only applies if rider cancels 5 minutes after being matched up with a driver, yada yada yada." Then I'd write back " I don't think you read my email clearly, please reread it and you'll see that I was on this ride for 22 minutes before the rider canceled it. Yada yada.." then Uber would send back the same email with something about the fact that this was a pool ride (?? What? It was Uber X!) and the regular rules don't apply to pool rides" but it wasn't a pool ride so I'd write back and say "no this was an UberX ride not a pool ride, and as my screenshots will show it was 22 minutes before the rider canceled..." then they wrote back. They kept writing about how they understood my frustration with the matter, but the details in this scenario show that a cancellation fee is not owed to me, which was complete & utter bullshit. You get the drill. At this point I was determined to get the &%[email protected]!*ing cancellation fee since I deserved it, so we literally wrote back-and-forth about 35 times (25 emails and about 10-15 times in-app). &%[email protected]!*ING RIDICULOUS! I'm including my screenshots of my sent emails from yesterday to Uber just to show you how many it actually took before they finally agreed and said "after reading more about the details of your situation, we have realized that you do deserve the cancellation fee"

My point here is to encourage everyone to ALWAYS take screenshots, stick to your guns, and never give up when dealing with Uber's stupid, clueless CSRs. they owe you money, yet tell you they don't; keep at it, always take screenshots of everything as proof, and just keep writing and writing because they will do everything and anything to get out of paying you, regardless of how small the amount of money. I know $3.75 isn't a big deal, but at a certain point it was the principle of the matter. They were literally making things up about the ride that were not true, saying that it was a pool ride which it wasn't, saying I was only on the ride for under five minutes which I wasn't (22 minutes!! 4 times the minimum amount of minutes necessary!!), just basically sending things that made no sense and that were not true just to get out of paying me $3.75 ! It pisses me off because I know a lot of people on this Forum would rather not deal with it and eventually give up, thinking that Uber will never turn over, but if you have proof and screenshots and you know you're right, keep at it because they can't not pay us when we are owed money. Check out how many emails I sent them yesterday within the time span of about 30-40 minutes, that's what it took for me to get my measly $3.75, and I know most people would rather not bother, but I feel that Uber depends on that complacence from drivers and we shouldn't allow them to get away with not paying every single time they should.

Sorry for the long boring message, Long story short, do not let Uber rip you off anymore than they already are; always continue going after money if it is owed to you, it doesn't matter how many times you write to them, they won't deactivate you they won't do anything but try to get out of paying it. Obviously be polite and don't threaten, just explain the scenario over and over again, give them the facts, and as long as you have screenshots of everything they can't deny you. Of course still try to deny you, but be persistent and eventually they have to pay . Look at how many emails it took before they'd admit to owing me my $3.75 for Pete's sake!

Screenshots are always good.

It's standard response by Uber to deny cancellation fee. When they do that, this is what I like to do... ask them to email you the time stamps in their system for the time of ride acceptance and time of cancellation. They will comply with your request by copying and pasting those times into a message. You then use their own data to point out that by subtraction, it works out to greater than 5 minutes (or two minutes for pool). Done in two more emails without ridiculously stubborn back-and-forth.

Julescase

Not saying you see the future. I would have accepted it too...just saying once you realize it's gonna be long...Cancel and move on. Maybe more importantly, don't get caught up in Uber's antics. I was out 7 hours last night...6 of them were On Trip. For a bit over $200. Go earn, don't burn. :cool:

Right, but unfortunately when you're stuck on Barham going west, there is literally no place to go to take a different route if I need to get to West Hollywood. I was past the Oakwoods but not yet to the 101. A rat trapped in a cage, stuck in that hellhole of a [email protected]@@@. I actually told Uber that they should pay me more than just the cancellation fee since it took me another 20 minutes to get out of that traffic jam and over to the other side of the 101, they didn't go for that though. If you're not familiar with the area I don't expect you to understand. It's a road with no other outlets once you get to a certain point. I've lived here for 23 years- I know every secret route known to man (and woman!)

Screenshots are always good.

It's standard response by Uber to deny cancellation fee. When they do that, this is what I like to do... ask them to email you the time stamps in their system for the time of ride acceptance and time of cancellation. They will comply with your request by copying and pasting those times into a message. You then use their own data to point out that by subtraction, it works out to greater than 5 minutes (or two minutes for pool). Done in two more emails without ridiculously stubborn back-and-forth.

Yeah that was in 4 of my 25 emails- I said that I would compare their data to mine, yet somehow they weren't able to send me that information. I said "you have the same details that I do on your side of the app- tell me what YOU have?"

SorryBluetoothOnly

Yeah that was in 4 of my 25 emails- I said that I would compare their data to mine, yet somehow they weren't able to send me that information. I said "you have the same details that I do on your side of the app- tell me what YOU have?"

Often with support, using the right words is everything. I've found that when I simply ask them to copy/paste the timestamps in their system for time of trip accept, arrival, and cancellation, they always respond immediately with what I asked for.

Sluber

I kept checking my app to make sure I received the cancellation fee since I had been on the ride for over 20 minutes before the passenger canceled, I wrote to Uber with all of the different details and I sent screenshots from 11:40 AM up through and until 12:02 PM showing that I was on my way to the location but the traffic was Not moving, and they kept sending back that same ridiculous template email trying to say the cancellation fee didn't apply. "we understand your confusion. The cancellation fee only applies if rider cancels 5 minutes after being matched up with a driver, yada yada yada." Then I'd write back " I don't think you read my email clearly, please reread it and you'll see that I was on this ride for 22 minutes before the rider canceled it. Yada yada.." then Uber would send back the same email with something about the fact that this was a pool ride (?? What? It was Uber X!) and the regular rules don't apply to pool rides" but it wasn't a pool ride so I'd write back and say "no this was an UberX ride not a pool ride, and as my screenshots will show it was 22 minutes before the rider canceled..." then they wrote back. They kept writing about how they understood my frustration with the matter, but the details in this scenario show that a cancellation fee is not owed to me, which was complete & utter bullshit. You get the drill. At this point I was determined to get the &%[email protected]!*ing cancellation fee since I deserved it, so we literally wrote back-and-forth about 35 times (25 emails and about 10-15 times in-app). &%[email protected]!*ING RIDICULOUS! I'm including my screenshots of my sent emails from yesterday to Uber just to show you how many it actually took before they finally agreed and said "after reading more about the details of your situation, we have realized that you do deserve the cancellation fee"

Most of us have been there jules but thanks for sharing......

UberLaLa

Right, but unfortunately when you're stuck on Barham going west, there is literally no place to go to take a different route if I need to get to West Hollywood. I was past the Oakwoods but not yet to the 101. A rat trapped in a cage, stuck in that hellhole of a cluster&%[email protected]!*. I actually told Uber that they should pay me more than just the cancellation fee since it took me another 20 minutes to get out of that traffic jam and over to the other side of the 101, they didn't go for that though. If you're not familiar with the area I don't expect you to understand. It's a road with no other outlets once you get to a certain point. I've lived here for 23 years- I know every secret route known to man (and woman!)

I've only been in L.A. since '72...so well, ok. Probably done Barham a few hundred times.

Best of luck with the SJW.