Gig Workers May Not Qualify for Beefed Up Unemployment

Daisey77

The reason a lot of the states are telling gig workers to hold off on filing is because they are waiting for instructions from the federal government as to what documents we will need to provide to determine our payout. Makes sense. According to CNN the States are going to accept a lot of different kinds of records. However, getting to that point is going to be our biggest problem. If you did not pay federal taxes or or don't have pay stubs, you are not going to be able to even apply. Pay stub shouldn't be an issue. However how many drivers paid federal taxes?

20200402_004056.jpg 20200402_004119.jpg

IR12

The reason a lot of the states are telling gig workers to hold off on filing is because they are waiting for instructions from the federal government as to what documents we will need to provide to determine our payout. Makes sense. According to CNN the States are going to accept a lot of different kinds of records. However, getting to that point is going to be our biggest problem. If you did not pay federal taxes or or don't have pay stubs, you are not going to be able to even apply. Pay stub shouldn't be an issue. However how many drivers paid federal taxes?

View attachment 441410 View attachment 441411

I know a lot of drivers that brag about not paying taxes. It’s a gamble.
OTOH, many driver’s pay quarterly taxes or save a percentage of their earnings to take the edge off what they know may come.

Last edited:

Ballard_Driver

I don't think that guy necessarily meant you needed to have ALL the stuff perfectly in order, more that if you had NONE of it in order you're probably screwed.

A for instance might be a graphic artist that does contract work. They make $50K a year doing one off projects for people... Never enough to get 1099ed... And they pay no federal taxes on any of it. They can't prove anything, so they'd be screwed.

RS drivers have 1099s, other pay info from the apps/back end, and hopefully state/federal tax returns. I imagine between one or more of those sources of data, most states will approve stuff. You gotta keep in mind they're tripping over themselves to throw money at people right now because they don't want things to completely fall apart... You have 300K people literally starving with zero cash coming through the door in a city like NYC, Chicago, or LA and all of a sudden you might end up with rioting on your hands! They don't want that!

Daisey77

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think that guy necessarily meant you needed to have ALL the stuff perfectly in order, more that if you had NONE of it in order you're probably screwed.
Right but he specifically said if you did not pay federal taxes, you will not be able to apply. I paid and I'm not worried but this might be the hang up for most drivers

Ballard_Driver

Right but he specifically said if you did not pay federal taxes, you will not be able to apply. I paid and I'm not worried but this might be the hang up for most drivers
That's my point, I don't think he was saying you needed to have ALL those things. It was a list of potential problems, but if you have some of that info you should be okay. People don't always speak in perfectly precise ways, but reading between the lines that's what I got out of that sentence.

steveNYC

I paid and I'm not worried but this might be the hang up for most drivers
So you think this article is talking about people who filed taxes in 2018, had a federal tax bill and decided not to pay it? You think most Uber drivers don't pay their tax bill? And i reference 2018 because 2019 taxes arent even due until July (the deadline was extended).

OldBay

So you think this article is talking about people who filed taxes in 2018, had a federal tax bill and decided not to pay it? You think most Uber drivers don't pay their tax bill? And i reference 2018 because 2019 taxes arent even due until July (the deadline was extended).
No, he is talking about the practice of the standard mileage deduction, which in many states where the pay is lower (.60/mi) means that drivers who "made money" don't have any tax liability.

I paid federal taxes, but I get paid .80/mi. If I was in a lower paying market, I might not have had to pay taxes.

Alot of drivers brag that they "fudged their numbers" so that they didn't have to pay taxes. All they have to do is claim that they drove more miles than they actually did.

Daisey77

THAT'S what you got from my post? 🙄 No that's NOT what I think but thanks for playing.

No, he is talking about the practice of the standard mileage deduction, which in many states where the pay is lower (.60/mi) means that drivers who "made money" don't have any tax liability.

I paid federal taxes, but I get paid .80/mi. If I was in a lower paying market, I might not have had to pay taxes.

Alot of drivers brag that they "fudged their numbers" so that they didn't have to pay taxes. All they have to do is claim that they drove more miles than they actually did.
Exactly! I hear drivers all the time saying they didn't have to pay taxes. In fact they would laugh at me and say I must be doing something wrong if I owe LOL

My concern is, what exactly do they mean when they say drivers who do not pay federal taxes cannot apply? are they saying only drivers who actually owe money at the end of the year can apply or are they saying only drivers who file the taxes can apply? The latter would imply there's a high number of drivers who don't file taxes . . .

Carblar

I was denied for not having any wages, due to deductions on my tax return. Most Uber drivers wind up in that situation because we make about as much per mile as the mileage deduction. I'm appealing but it seems I'm, and many others will be screwed

Crosbyandstarsky

View attachment 441410 View attachment 441411

You do not qualify for unemployment!!! Only if you get the virus. There is work and you can’t quit and collect

Daisey77

I was denied for not having any wages, due to deductions on my tax return. Most Uber drivers wind up in that situation because we make about as much per mile as the mileage deduction. I'm appealing but it seems I'm, and many others will be screwed
Ugh so were you a wash on your taxes? You didn't owe or get a refund?
Post automatically merged:

You do not qualify for unemployment!!! Only if you get the virus. There is work and you can’t quit and collect
OMG here we go again. Yes you can and I'm not going to argue with you about it anymore. I'm not the one that's quitting to collect. I'm working my ass off right now just to keep a roof over my head. so take your BS somewhere else

touberornottouber

How do you know he is talking about that?

It's a disaster. Stop it.

Which state are you in?

Never mind, I see it is likely Georgia. Wow, that is some BS. We are being punished for taking a valid deduction. You should still be eligible for the $600 a week at least but of course this agencies are greedy and hateful of workers.

rkozy

Basically, the article says if you don't have documentation to the effect you worked for Uber/Lyft, you will likely be ineligible. Meaning, if you just took the rideshare money and didn't file a tax return showing your actual documented income from rideshare, then the government has no way knowing if you were truly employed as a gig worker.

If your gross income minus qualifying deductions means you owe the government $ -500, you still paid taxes. It was just a negative amount, which gets refunded to you under the tax code.

If you completely failed to report your gross income from ride share, that means you didn't pay taxes on it...because it was never calculated as taxable income by the federal government. Ergo, such income never existed on paper.

maxroyalty1

I just read the whole bill and we are definitely not getting paid unless Uber shuts off completely. Considering Uber is still online, we are not going to receive any benefits. Sorry guys! I know you were hoping for a win but not with this situation

Invisible

I just read the whole bill and we are definitely not getting paid unless Uber shuts off completely. Considering Uber is still online, we are not going to receive any benefits. Sorry guys! I know you were hoping for a win but not with this situation
Please stop spreading incorrect information.

We don’t qualify under traditional unemployment. We quality under Disaster Unemployment, which is a special federal program.

The information is on my link below.

maxroyalty1

Please stop spreading incorrect information.

We don’t qualify under traditional unemployment. We quality under Disaster Unemployment, which is a special federal program.

The information is on my link below.

No, we won’t qualify for that either because that funded is extremely limited compared to traditional unemployment. 98% of Uber drivers will not qualify for this because the money will run out. It’s right there printed on the bill. Again, The disaster fund is EXTREMELY limited

touberornottouber

Basically, the article says if you don't have documentation to the effect you worked for Uber/Lyft, you will likely be ineligible. Meaning, if you just took the rideshare money and didn't file a tax return showing your actual documented income from rideshare, then the government has no way knowing if you were truly employed as a gig worker.

If your gross income minus qualifying deductions means you owe the government $ -500, you still paid taxes. It was just a negative amount, which gets refunded to you under the tax code.

If you completely failed to report your gross income from ride share, that means you didn't pay taxes on it...because it was never calculated as taxable income by the federal government. Ergo, such income never existed on paper.
I hope you are right but one driver here from Georgia was already denied because they did not have "wages" * https://uberpeople.net/threads/gig-...or-beefed-up-unemployment.390629/post-6080187 ). I read in Florida the minimum is $3,xxx in wages to qualify. If we made $30,000 but took the standard mileage deduction of 60,000 miles then it would appear as if we made $0.

Yes, they SHOULD handle it as you say but this is the government.... What a kick in the pants to be denied because you technically didn't make any money!!

No, we won’t qualify for that either because that funded is extremely limited compared to traditional unemployment. 98% of Uber drivers will not qualify for this because the money will run out. It’s right there printed on the bill. Again, The disaster fund is EXTREMELY limited
Can you provide a source for this or a quote?