Getting sidetracked from your plan for your shift

kah5683

Now that we are down to two DF's, this comes more into play. Had two rides today that diverted me from making money. The first was to the far south side and the Dan Ryan. Because of traffic on the way back while driving empty, I figure I lost about 30-40 minutes. The other distraction was a ride to Highland Park. Driving out there, I noticed the backup coming back due to construction, so I came back via Evanston. Had the DF on, but nothing. Probably lost an hour of deadheading back empty.

How do I stay on track during the night? I've read about opening the window only and asking where are they going. Will I be accused of being a racist because wasting 30-40 minutes of my work day will mean that I make less than minimum wage that trip? Will I be uncaring for not driving to the far suburbs and making less than minimum wage, plus eating up gas?

Do I have to get to the point of cherry-picking each and every ride?

ParrotFish

Now that we are down to two DF's, this comes more into play. Had two rides today that diverted me from making money. The first was to the far south side and the Dan Ryan. Because of traffic on the way back while driving empty, I figure I lost about 30-40 minutes. The other distraction was a ride to Highland Park. Driving out there, I noticed the backup coming back due to construction, so I came back via Evanston. Had the DF on, but nothing. Probably lost an hour of deadheading back empty.

How do I stay on track during the night? I've read about opening the window only and asking where are they going. Will I be accused of being a racist because wasting 30-40 minutes of my work day will mean that I make less than minimum wage that trip? Will I be uncaring for not driving to the far suburbs and making less than minimum wage, plus eating up gas?

I've been trying to use df going to a new job south on Cicero from northside. It just isn't working out. I keep getting pulled off course via Ike or 55. Rolled up locked doors open window. I was called "a piece of s$?&$t" for not taking her. Getting pings 20 mins away and so on. I'm at 50% cancellation and getting warnings for low acceptance and cancels. On a good shift I might use 4 df. Never used 6 but they are a necessary security blanket to get back on track.

Mapnik

In short - you are simply screwed... This is the real reason why they don't show the destination. Deadheading from anywhere north of Evanston is the worst, unless you want to make pickups in Skokie, which might take you to anywhere. As long as I've been doing this, the random drops have always been the biggest problem to have to workaround. You can cherry-pick, or you can just leave the app on and go with the flow. But the deadheading is one of the major expenses that Uber conveniently externalizes directly onto the driver.

Ad nauseam

Note the loud cheese popcorn chewing. Real dialog, earnest discussion. Shortest post of isos eva. (so my haters can join in.) I will seed. I'm black, give everyone a ride. Deliberately avoid Englewood. Have the absolute identical struggles trying to make my money. And dismiss Map evangelist extremism, but not the man. Deeply detest deadhead back run. Hate being pinged away from home especially when near end and tired. Any one else?

Do not open window and ask. That will definitely burn you. Think about it. Ticked pass with time on their hands waiting for a ride.

Ditka'sSweaterVest

This was part of what I was trying to discuss yesterday. I'd join in but I have to deadhead from the SW burbs to my intended start point now. (Not that I have anything against the fine citizens of La Grange or Westmont, but not worth burning a high value DF for $5-$20 supplemental to my normal biz). And to answer the question in the other post, Select/Xl drivers have the same two DFs again as everyone, difference being we can ride Select/XL only and wait it out with the DF in a known spot to snag the two of the 3/4 long, high value rides that make our shift. Back to the old ways. More wait time. More deadhead. Fewer rides taken. Not rolling the dice on X rides as supplemental income going to where we need to be or want to be positioned taking us out of our game. As I said with reduced DF: Fewer rides per day/week. More total time online to make the number. Higher cost of fuel/wear and tear as a percentage due to increased deadheading. Lower earnings per hour net result.

Ad nauseam

Stink eye at Shakur.
This was part of what I was trying to discuss yesterday. /QUOTE]

Threads are funny, who knows why one gains traction and others ignored.

I was motivated to post up here, moved by the man's earnest. And seeking ideas going forward verses just crabbing about what is, the man, or the past.

Ditka'sSweaterVest

Haha ISO. Which part; my peeps in Westmont or my running costs and unlimited range? (I could have also gotten into depreciation being the chief factor and not wanting to take on the capital costs of a newer electric to run X then get hammered on trade--relative to my mainly depreciated yet low mile ride--but again, I need to deadhead).

Ad nauseam

Ditka, I hope anything I typed was not received as pejorative to you or your ideas. I could have jumbled something. Electrical car? Deserves it own thread and debate. Our true costs? We can't workshop enough.

Ditka'sSweaterVest

Not at all, my friend. Your posts are thoughtful and informative. Some others have a hammer and look for hidden nails no matter the topic. Mine was also a subtle shout-back to your driving style and teacher thoughts. My depression era granddad taught me in an ancient but maintained beater with a long throw manual and a wonky clutch. He didn't want to be jerked around (literally) and funny enough had a folded 8.5x11 on the dash that looked uncannily like a certain part of our trade dress. If that paper moved on the dash; stopping, starting, or shifting, I was doing something wrong. Gas is money.

But sometimes in city rush that paper will move a bit...
IMG_0584.PNG

Ad nauseam

Gas is money

Thank you for your thought. Kind of you to mention. Amen. Want to increase your return? STOP driving like a sausage! Learn what optimizes efficiency for your ride. Not even a brand new Tesla performs well racing and blocking and being a jerk.

Dad did you well. Bit tough I say, but you learned to work with the machine. Use your tool.

Nobody wants to hear that. Emotional drivers and posters.

P.S. ...for someone who relishes in code and double meaning....strange I miss the wit and subtlety of others. Will work on that.

Ditka'sSweaterVest

Amen. That's why your thread was so important. Gas, brakes, rotors, suspension, shocks, and potholes avoided are all expenses. Racing me to get one spot ahead at the next light downtown raises your expenses, increases your risk (and mine), jerks your passengers around, and lowers your rating. Those that don't understand that all of these metrics are considered (far from being a joke) as to who gets dibs on the high value rides and best passengers as well haven't figured it out yet and maybe never will. Makes the day go easy and decreases fatigue and burnout as well.