Getting Paid for Long Trips

SuperMario

Every now and then I get an airport pax who requests a ride to Santa Fe, Tijeras, Soccoro, or other long distance trips. I then nicely explain to the passenger that they are requesting a long trip outside of my boundaries and that they are responsible for paying for the miles and time to allow me to return to the boundary of the foothills, Santa Ana, or the South Valley. I also send them a screenshot in the Uber app contact section and ask them to reply yes to agree to pay for return to boundary miles. Since this is an Uber policy they agree and we leave the airport. I was wondering if anyone else enforces this policy.
tmp_18983-Screenshot_20170410-1548371244049776.jpg

tomabq

Every now and then I get an airport pax who requests a ride to Santa Fe, Tijeras, Soccoro, or other long distance trips. I then nicely explain to the passenger that they are requesting a long trip outside of my boundaries and that they are responsible for paying for the miles and time to allow me to return to the boundary of the foothills, Santa Ana, or the South Valley. I also send them a screenshot in the Uber app contact section and ask them to reply yes to agree to pay for return to boundary miles. Since this is an Uber policy they agree and we leave the airport. I was wondering if anyone else enforces this policy.
View attachment 111797
Interesting, are you saying you continue running the app until you get back? I've been driving for 3 years and have never done this. It sure would help and according to the above statement it does seem we are authorized to do so.

SuperMario

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting, are you saying you continue running the app until you get back? I've been driving for 3 years and have never done this. It sure would help and according to the above statement it does seem we are authorized to do so.
Yes I do inform them that after I drop them off I will continue the trip until I return to the outer boundary of Albuquerque (i.e. 9 Mile Hill, Tramway, South Valley, Santa Ana). If they cancel on my return trip I contact Uber and show them the agreement via text and they charge the pax the trip plus return miles. I haven't had anyone disagree but if they do I'm sure another driver would be willing to take them and take the loss on the return miles. Since we get paid so little after expenses I use this policy since it is stated on the Uber website and Uber app.

Nicholette

They just changed to wording on this uber help page. Looks like we can't charge miles for getting home aymore.

Here is the screenshot
Screenshot_20170419-103118.png

KTownJerry

I suggest that this wording change in the app means nothing and as long as the rider agrees then you should get paid. I don't see anything that specifically states you are prevented from continuing this process of getting paid for the return trip back to your home area. What I mean is that the new wording simply addresses the action by Uber to end a trip after 4 hours and what steps to take when that happens. Uber simply left out that wording that states the rider may be charged for the return trip back to the drivers home area.
By the time you arrive at the destination (or perhaps just after you start the trip in the first place) simply make sure you get the rider to reply 'Y' via text that he agrees to pay for your return trip back to your home area, then after you arrive at the first destination be sure to adjust the destination in the app back to the starting location and drive on without ending the trip. If Uber complains, tell them the rider agreed and show them the text from the rider stating he agreed.

Last edited:

Who is John Galt?

'
I would suggest that it may be time to lift your sights a little.
The reservations in your mind are creating restrictions in your operations and consequently impacting on your revenue.
Uber policy, smolozy. You are an independent contractor buddy, get with the program.
It is your car, your rules, your destiny.

200 kms, 300 kms what does it matter? If you put it out there, that you are prepared to go the extra mile, you will attract the honey. Good luck.

Teach1

I just did this yesterday. I explained this to rider. I now have copy in my car if there are any questions. Then I ask myself if they don't agree do not take this long ride?? If all drivers kept a copy in their car and showed it to riders. Stick together not to screw the rider but to be compensated for our time. If Uber adjusted rate I would show them the policy they wrote.

Bevital

I just did this yesterday. I explained this to rider. I now have copy in my car if there are any questions. Then I ask myself if they don't agree do not take this long ride?? If all drivers kept a copy in their car and showed it to riders. Stick together not to screw the rider but to be compensated for our time. If Uber adjusted rate I would show them the policy they wrote.
Wow, just watched the video. I had no idea. This really changes things for me. Had a trip to Pakko Golf Course this morning, and empty vehicle on the way back. hmmmm. Now I've got to check what Albuquerque boundaries are. Thanks for the post.

Anonymously

This is all very interesting because I find myself going to Geneva on the lake, Canton, Sandusky, a bit more than I would like. Thanks for the info! Now what is this screenshot you show customers and where can I find it?

Bevital

Just had a trip to Santa Fe. Usually about an hour except there was a huge accident. Sat in traffic for over an hour in 110 degrees. Didn't ask, didn't hink. PAX apologized for the long trip as if he caused the accident. Handed me a tip at the end. I shoved it in my shirt pocket and didn't look at it until I got home. To my surprise is was 3 twenty dollar bills.

This is all very interesting because I find myself going to Geneva on the lake, Canton, Sandusky, a bit more than I would like. Thanks for the info! Now what is this screenshot you show customers and where can I find it?
Screen shot is not there anymore. And from what I understand not Uber's policy.

brianboru

Screen shot is not there anymore. And from what I understand not Uber's policy.
The Uber User's Guide says:

Do riders pay tolls or surcharges?
Additional charges may apply to your trip, including tolls, surcharges, or other fees. These charges are automatically added to your trip fare.

Please note that charges added to your trip fare may not exactly match the amount paid by your driver. For example, you may be assessed a surcharge when a driver pays a toll when returning to your city of origin, or for pickups or drop-offs at an airport.

You may also be charged the standard amount of a toll when the driver is entitled to a discount because they are in an HOV lane, driving an electric vehicle, or using a transponder. In some cities, tolls and surcharges reflect an estimate. This is due to fluctuations in the amount actually paid. You may also pay an additional charge to your driver for other costs or inconveniences, such as a parking fee to enter a venue or a long return trip after arrival at your final destination.

Depending on the charge and location, these additional charges may be retained by your driver, paid by your driver to Uber, or passed through to the airport or other third parties.

brianboru

View attachment 111797
SuperMario, I want to thank you for this method. I am using now, or will use it, when I get a trip outside my service area and have passed your approach to this problem on to other drivers. Thanks again.

armandham

Hi I am in San Francisco area and driving 2 years. Only just now learned of this policy (thank you) and saved a region-specific copy of the link to my phone, also will be printing a paper copy for the car.

Am curious for input on two things:

1) suppose I drive somebody from Monterey to Sacramento and arrive there at 2 am. That's a 3+hour, 200 mile drive, and should I be so fortunate as to pick up a destination trip in my direction home (or any trip at that hour) it would not count toward any weekly incentives because it doesn't originate in my region. Do I run this by the rider, have documented agreement, and keep the trip running until I am nearer home?

2) Driving with an open trip in the app but with an empty car - am I vulnerable to a lapse of insurance coverage?

Thanks everyone:smiles:

badAdjective

View attachment 111797
The Uber User's Guide says:

Do riders pay tolls or surcharges?
Additional charges may apply to your trip, including tolls, surcharges, or other fees. These charges are automatically added to your trip fare.

Please note that charges added to your trip fare may not exactly match the amount paid by your driver. For example, you may be assessed a surcharge when a driver pays a toll when returning to your city of origin, or for pickups or drop-offs at an airport.

You may also be charged the standard amount of a toll when the driver is entitled to a discount because they are in an HOV lane, driving an electric vehicle, or using a transponder. In some cities, tolls and surcharges reflect an estimate. This is due to fluctuations in the amount actually paid. You may also pay an additional charge to your driver for other costs or inconveniences, such as a parking fee to enter a venue or a long return trip after arrival at your final destination.

Depending on the charge and location, these additional charges may be retained by your driver, paid by your driver to Uber, or passed through to the airport or other third parties.
This is a great policy! Does anyone know if Lyft has a similar policy and can provide a link? I now keep copy from Uber but I just had an extremely long but minimally profitable ride with Lyft and would like to implement this policy.

Robert Minto

View attachment 111797
Wish I would have done that for a El Paso TX run

HotRodriguez75

A driver had a long trip here in Dallas, which piqued my interest as I vaguely remembered reading about the return to boundary agreement.

It appears that Uber is actually charging the customer for the return fare now with upfront pricing. I am not sure if we are to request for the additional funds from Uber considering keeping the app running for the return trip would result in the trip ending automatically.

It appears the numbers are inline or are close enough to validate my theory and are supported by Uber's own verbiage.

I also checked other Markets surrounding the Dallas area and the quotes are all doubled.

Here is the trip:

upload_2017-9-12_22-37-51.png

Here is Uber's Quote for the trip (In-app quote is $746.48):

***Note that the quote was almost $800 when I checked earlier today

upload_2017-9-12_22-38-47.png

Here are the Dallas rates:

upload_2017-9-12_22-41-23.png

Here is my calculation on trip:

upload_2017-9-12_22-58-16.png