Getting my mind around the fact this gig is over...

OldBay

"When things pick up in a couple weeks/months, I'll just start driving again."

No. Just no.

The lockdown will be in affect through the end of spring. Or later.

In summer, thing are already slow to begin with.

Economy will either be in a mini or full blown recession. People will be losing jobs. There will be more drivers. Less trips.

They will lower driver pay even further. We will see .50/mi.

This gig only works during boom times. 18 months..minimum.. before things return to "normal" but driver pay will be even lower.

It's over. No really, it's over.

observer

No. Just no.

Economy will either be in a mini or full blown recession. People will be losing jobs. There will be more drivers. Less trips.

This gig only works during boom times. 18 months..minimum.. before things return to "normal" but driver pay will be even lower.

50 cents a mile?

Florida would be ecstatic to get 50 cents a mile.

Last I heard they were at 30 cents.

Edit*** disregard this post. There is a clarification down thread.

Last edited:

Ballard_Driver

Well, it may be slightly worse than it was before this mess, but it won't be a total blood bath. It will probably be approximately the same as it has been once the lock downs end.

It will probably also depend on where in the country you are. In Seattle where I am our Tech Overlords will probably bounce back from this just fine... They're all still working from home collecting their $10K a month paychecks DURING the virus. If anything they'll have a stack of cash in the bank they're looking to blow getting hammered and partying once the lock downs are over.

Some other places that have industries that are harder hit may take more time to recover. But it's not likely to be half the income it was before the virus or whatever. Anything is possible, but it's not likely.

I_Like_Spam

No. Just no.

The lockdown isn't going to be that much longer, the economy can't take it.

But you are right, there will be a lot less travel going on when this is over, and the salad days of Ride Sharing are over as people become more accustomed to more of a "homebody" life style.

Christinebitg

as people become more accustomed to more of a "homebody" life style.
All true. And as people grasp the idea that riding with another person has an additional risk they hadn't realized.

This particular disease may go away, one way or another. Or it may turn out to be more difficult to conquer than we thought.

What's the next one that's coming after it? When will it get here? How dangerous will it be? Will we even notice when it arrives?

AIDS was here for years before anyone even knew about it. Will that happen with the next thing that can kill you?

Or will self driving cars happen first? Reducing the risk somewhat, by eliminating one of the strangers in a car (but not the previous rider).

RodB

Screenshot_20200324-083922.png

Even with nothing open it is not terrible here in Toledo Ohio.

Not great by any means, but considering the majority of people are not working at all it's not bad.
7 hours, $95 on the app and $20 in cash tips.
Btw, cost of living is fairly low here so don't try comparing it to how much you make in Cali. or New York

Christinebitg

Even with nothing open it is not terrible here in Toledo Ohio.

Not great by any means, but considering the majority of people are not working at all it's not bad.
And that's factoring in that the economy there hasn't been all that great for a few years.

I grew up in Oregon, about a mile east of the Sunoco refinery, but live in the South now.

RodB

Screenshot_20200324-084641.png

And with these prices and the laid back driving right now.
No rushing around in circles and everyone has been very happy to get a ride.

Bars and restaurants and everything have been shut down except carryout and delivery for over a week now.

And that's factoring in that the economy there hasn't been all that great for a few years.

I grew up in Oregon, about a mile east of the Sunoco refinery, but live in the South now.
Oregon is a great town. The German American Fest is huge money for drivers here, hope that is on this year

OldBay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
View attachment 436343

And with these prices and the laid back driving right now.
No rushing around in circles and everyone has been very happy to get a ride.

Bars and restaurants and everything have been shut down except carryout and delivery for over a week now.

Oregon is a great town. The German American Fest is huge money for drivers here, hope that is on this year
You're temporarily benefitting because other drivers are following instructions to stay home.

Cdub2k

No. Just no.

So........

The gig is up?

mbd

No. Just no.

Normal will be here faster than you think
Driver pay- you might be right, but mostly it is due to the extra drivers on the road.
Less drivers, more pay.
If only half the drivers on road, surge will reappear :smiles:

UberBastid

Yea but, look at the bright side.
When this thing is over, the parking brake gets released and the economy goes for the throttle again (and we will, big time) there will be many well paying positions. Industry and business in general will need people, and they'll have to pay them to compete for labor
I have always done well during periods of chaos. Personal, local or national. When things explode there's pieces flying everywhere. If you are nimble and observant you can pick out juicy pieces as they fly past you. There will be an explosion. Watch.

Use this time to learn new skills. Get credentials, licenses and permits and get ready.
Be smart.
It's not over ... its just beginning.

Legalizeit0

You're temporarily benefitting because other drivers are following instructions to stay home.
I don't think you should fault him for trying to make a living. Some people still need rides.

The Lt. Gov. of Kentucky said yesterday, he thinks we should wait out the 15 days and then just get back to work, regardless of the consequences - and he is in a high risk group. At some point, we all have to decide if we are willing to risk it and just get back to living.

I support rodb and his willingness to keep on driving, he has way more guts than I do!

losiglow

Like the direction of the stock market, this is uncharted territory so anything's possible.

However, the fact is that many people consider RS to be mainstream at this point. You've got business-people, bar hoppers, restaurant goers, those unable to get a license (often foreigners or those who have gotten their license suspended) and people in the inner city that have given up their cars and rely on walking, public transport and occasional RS for longer trips.

With that demand, the chance that RS is going away, or that the demand is going to disappear, is pretty much nil. There may be more drivers, but even that may not happen if people continue to be freaked out over CV19 and don't want to drive.

Legalizeit0

I agree about the market, I posted on here last week when I bought into Uber - they were trading below $15 a share, I'm up 75% in a week!

OldBay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like the direction of the stock market, this is uncharted territory so anything's possible.

However, the fact is that many people consider RS to be mainstream at this point. You've got business-people, bar hoppers, restaurant goers, those unable to get a license (often foreigners or those who have gotten their license suspended) and people in the inner city that have given up their cars and rely on walking, public transport and occasional RS for longer trips.

With that demand, the chance that RS is going away, or that the demand is going to disappear, is pretty much nil. There may be more drivers, but even that may not happen if people continue to be freaked out over CV19 and don't want to drive.
Its mainstream, BUT we have never seen it in a recession.

There will be even more of a driver oversupply, so they will be able to further lower driver pay.

My point was that this is the point that things changed forever. I'm not going to wait around for it to come back. My plan is to drive just enough (if possible) to pay bills and transition out.