getting frustrated, the beginning of the week, seems to be so slow

Cadi

U2 concert at Arrowhead tonight. I have 2 pre arranged rodrs out there but I cant pickup aftewards because I'll be working my real job.

aw99

Westport, p&l and plazza are the common places you should be. The issue you have is not where you have to drive. It seemes like there are more drivers than riders. Don't get frustrated get used to it.

jfinks

U2 concert at Arrowhead tonight. I have 2 pre arranged rodrs out there but I cant pickup aftewards because I'll be working my real job.

Using Uzurv to prearrange?

Westport, p&l and plazza are the common places you should be. The issue you have is not where you have to drive. It seemes like there are more drivers than riders. Don't get frustrated get used to it.
Yup at times it seems like there are on weekdays. But at closing times things pickup. I don't even drive after work anymore. I wait until late evening to go out or after midnight on weekdays.

arghcd

It's not worth doing this anymore to be honest, there are so many drivers out here it's not even funny. Surge is absolutely manipulated to get us where uber wants us. I can't remember the last surge over 1.4 that I got paid for. We are all insane, it's literally modern day slave wage...

jfinks

It's not worth doing this anymore to be honest, there are so many drivers out here it's not even funny. Surge is absolutely manipulated to get us where uber wants us. I can't remember the last surge over 1.4 that I got paid for. We are all insane, it's literally modern day slave wage...

As a full time thing it would be rough. I average about 20/hr when I am out. Every driver needs to be very choosy on what pickups they do. I rarely go more than 2-3 miles or 8 minutes for a regular fare. I sometimes go further if I am on the way already, but that is rare. Every driver needs to adopt these rules. It will help drive down the supply of drivers. If every rider gets a long pickup for free then it will always be expected. Just don't do it. Remember you don't work for Uber.

jedofarc

As a full time thing it would be rough. I average about 20/hr when I am out. Every driver needs to be very choosy on what pickups they do. I rarely go more than 2-3 miles or 8 minutes for a regular fare. I sometimes go further if I am on the way already, but that is rare. Every driver needs to adopt these rules. It will help drive down the supply of drivers. If every rider gets a long pickup for free then it will always be expected. Just don't do it. Remember you don't work for Uber.
Agreed. When I first started doing this I assumed it was more work equals more money and it just doesn't work that way. Not wasting gas driving around without a fare (includes going to a fare and also just waiting for a ping), picking when you work, and where all go a long ways. After a month or two I learned that often I don't really always get to drive where I want I just learned where to go, what kinds of rides to pass on, etc. Following and learning the basic principles makes $16 after gas etc very doable.

aw99

We have done this for long time and I don't think making $20/hr is a correct assessment. If that is the case everyone should be happy. Why are people frustrated??

jfinks

It is if you only drive high demand times. Fri/Sat night. But ya trying to do it full time, probably not in X. If you could get steady rides in Select it could be way more. Like I said in previous post, be very selective. Last sat night about 1:45AM I passed on about 10 rides to an area that should be surging, 119th and Metcalf. That area should surge at 3x, I didn't take any rides, just ignored them all, I was 2 miles away waiting in an apt complex that I dropped off at. Lots of drunks at 1:45 - 2am on the Ks side, I don't accept anything less than a 2x.

aw99

High demand times are very few hours a week maybe only Friday and Saturday nights. If you want to work just those hours it is not enough. You can't average $20 with so many drivers even on weekends. We are talking ahout overall people are not happy with how Much they make.

That's right. The best way to put is...It is not fun anymore. It is not worth it unless you have no other choice and you have to do this.

jedofarc

High demand times are very few hours a week maybe only Friday and Saturday nights. If you want to work just those hours it is not enough. You can't average $20 with so many drivers even on weekends. We are talking ahout overall people are not happy with how Much they make.

That's right. The best way to put is...It is not fun anymore. It is not worth it unless you have no other choice and you have to do this.

So, should have mentioned that too, not sure how many hours a week everyone on here is trying to put on, but if you're not steady from like 6pm- 2am Fri and Sat, you should probably consider adjusting where you are driving. Very very rare that I don't run near $20 before gas on these times... thats like a 16 hour window. Most nights I don't even stay out that late because, well lets be honest sometimes its kind of a hassle with the early morning crowd. Even if you're not in a surge during these times I still run $15+ during these times. To be fair I have mostly given up on weekdays as yes, during these times its pretty bad. So if you are trying to find 25 or more hours a week, its just probably not in the cards. But if you're willing to tolerate the fri-sat night, the money is still there.

aw99

I don't know. It looks like you're just reading the weekly total hours calculated by Uber. You have to double that time. Don't forget to count the pick up time and miles. Also, when you say $15 or $20 you need to explain that is before all the expenses. Average per hour income is no more than $10. I am not a new driver. Using my own car, cleaning my car, using my gas, my time, not to mention insurance and accidents. It is not enough however you sugarcoat it.

Last edited:

jfinks

So, should have mentioned that too, not sure how many hours a week everyone on here is trying to put on, but if you're not steady from like 6pm- 2am Fri and Sat, you should probably consider adjusting where you are driving. Very very rare that I don't run near $20 before gas on these times... thats like a 16 hour window. Most nights I don't even stay out that late because, well lets be honest sometimes its kind of a hassle with the early morning crowd. Even if you're not in a surge during these times I still run $15+ during these times. To be fair I have mostly given up on weekdays as yes, during these times its pretty bad. So if you are trying to find 25 or more hours a week, its just probably not in the cards. But if you're willing to tolerate the fri-sat night, the money is still there.

This is what I agree with for the most part. As for the late night anymore, it depends on where I am at around 2AM or so. If I am downtown, plaza, westport at 2am I will continue on. But a lot of times I get a ride down to OP around 1:30-2Am or so, generally I will call it a night if that happens. In other words I don't go back to Westport for the 3am close. There are exceptions if I need a little extra money, Westport is a good bet, but a gamble on if it is worth it if you are out south.

I still have fun at this for the most part, 90% are enjoyable rides. I don't let myself get burnt out by driving too much.

jfinks

I saw the new navigation update so decided to try it out last night. I went to the 103rd and metcalf area to get something to eat in the late evening, then turned the app on. I made my usual rounds around OP, not venturing off too far. Nothing in about 30 minutes so I went home. While sitting in my Apt parking lot I got a ping for 2 miles away, dropped off at 135th and nall, another ping right after same corner, dropped off out east a bit. Headed home again and got a request at 125th and Bluevalley, hotel there. Went to Grandview. Headed back and took a short trip to wornall and 91st area. Headed home and got another request I ignored, a little too far away. called it a night. So about 28 bucks in 1:45, not too bad when if sitting at home I would have made nothing. The first 30 minutes of course was just driving home from going out to eat so that really doesn't count toward my time on road but I was online.