Getting a Lyft ride from a middle-man company

golfinganddriving

So here was an interesting tidbit I picked up while taking a Chinese passenger today near UB. I got pinged, and it said the passengers name was simply "K" (the letter K).
I asked the passenger why he just put "K" for his name. He told me that a lot of the Chinese around UB do not actually have Lyft accounts to request rides. They use this intermediary company that supposedly has a huge amount of coupons for Lyft. The company is based on the West coast and it is just a bunch of people requesting rides for others. So when the Chinese student wants a ride, they message this company in San Fran, and that company requests the ride, then bills the UB student.

So when I needed to have the passenger change the drop off location, he said he has no access to the lyft account. So I had to change it.

The benefit of this service, as explained to me by the chinese student is that they all get cheaper rides (as much as 50%). Anyhow, that works for me, doesn't affect our driver pay.

So if you get a pickup from a one letter person (no name) that is probably what it is.

mhugh30

I had the same kind of thing from Gogograndma. Or something similar to that. They are a bunch of old ladies that don't have accounts but make a phone call & it's all set up for them.

Mista T

Author
I did a GoGoGranny ride once. They texted me that the pax may need help getting to and from the car. I arrived at an auto body shop and the woman hopped right in. No big deal.

mhugh30

Yea they message you & say they may need some additional help & to feel free to cancel. Mine didn't need any help & I can't remember if it had me rate her but it did want to know the exact drop off spot to make it easier for when she needed to go home.
Lyft just figured out a way to get everyone involved even if they don't have a smart phone. Very smart

MHR

So here was an interesting tidbit I picked up while taking a Chinese passenger today near UB. I got pinged, and it said the passengers name was simply "K" (the letter K).
I asked the passenger why he just put "K" for his name. He told me that a lot of the Chinese around UB do not actually have Lyft accounts to request rides. They use this intermediary company that supposedly has a huge amount of coupons for Lyft. The company is based on the West coast and it is just a bunch of people requesting rides for others. So when the Chinese student wants a ride, they message this company in San Fran, and that company requests the ride, then bills the UB student.

So when I needed to have the passenger change the drop off location, he said he has no access to the lyft account. So I had to change it.

The benefit of this service, as explained to me by the chinese student is that they all get cheaper rides (as much as 50%). Anyhow, that works for me, doesn't affect our driver pay.

So if you get a pickup from a one letter person (no name) that is probably what it is.
Well I just learned something here. :smiles:

Bunch of Chinese international students were here for the summer. All used Lyft and all had the initial K.

Small town here so I picked them up a lot. Never knew where they'd want to go and never a tip so I can't run Lyft until they leave on the 14th.

Merc7186

'Nuff Said.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 43