• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

get the heck out of my car

LyftUberFuwabolewa

My rule is if you've already started the ride, finish it and at the end call the company so you won't be paired again with that rider and also to report any inappropriate behavior, and to get your side of the story on the record.

If there was a reason why I felt like I safely couldn't continue the ride then I would end it prematurely. But generally I feel that it's not worth the commotion. You never know what it's going to turn into, and you're greatly escalating the chances that the person is going to make some kind of a false claim.

I have multiple dash cams and I maintain a professional demeanor so I'm not really worried about the false claim thing, but it is a pain. You have to stop, find the video, upload it to YouTube privately, and send the link to the company with an exclamation. You're talking an hour or two.

That said, I did put out one joker, who had his wife who book the ride only to cancel the ride along the way. Technically I don't feel like that was ending the ride prematurely, they were the ones that ended it. I certainly wasn't going to drive the clown to his destination for free. The guy was talking to his wife in Spanish when he had her cancel, not knowing that I understand Spanish, saying to her "no he'll take me anyway". Another lifehack fail.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Had 2 men doing drugs in my car. Pulled over. Told them to get the @@@@ out of my car. Showed them my pepper spray. They got out.
Sounds like a good way to break terms of service and get deactivated. I would never display any kind of a weapon nor put a hand on a passenger.

The best thing to do is to pull over and call the police and if they won't get out and you feel unsafe get out of the car yourself. Whatever they do to your car the Rideshare company will pay for it.

ZenUber

Never escalate until it’s time to kick them out. Don’t curse, and don’t insult them. It only adds fuel to the fire. Don’t argue with them, no matter how much they argue with you. It’s not a debate. When it comes down to an ejection, you have made up your mind that they are simply getting out even if you have to call the police to get it done. I don’t recommend touching them because that could put any liability onto you. If you touch them, it will be you that the police will carry away, and that Uber will be deactivating. If they don’t get out upon request, I take my wallet phone and keys and get out of the car. I don’t want an angry passenger behind me in an enclosed space. Open all the windows and doors and tell them it’s time to get out. Don’t make the mistake of arguing with them about why. Let them know it’s over. Politely assert yourself. If you do a search on this site for “can of fart” you will find people who use this foul smell to get people out willingly. Make the car uncomfortable for them. Think heat, cold, smell, and noise - not pain. Carry pepper spray just in case. Call 911 so the pax can hear you.

In 6 months I’ve ejected 3 pax. One was a guy, over a vaping issue. I told him I canceled and he was free to go. He got out willingly, and only called me a “dick” on the way out the door. The other two were women, and I have to say they were infinitely more difficult. In a society where women’s lib is popular, some women are hell bent on getting their way as a matter of principle. They’re only goal is to win, and they have absolutely no self awareness of how badly they are behaving, and how completely they are trampling on the rights of others in order to assert their own rights. They are not violent in my experience. Theirs is a game of words and wits. They will test you, bait you, argue, insult, demand, offend, distract, and play every psychological game their years of experience has taught them. Don’t engage any of that. Your only comment is that they have to get out of the car.

Your best defense is to identify the problem pax before they get in the car, and cancel. Looking back at my worst pax, they always gave warning signs before getting in the car. Repeated phone calls and texts with requests or demands. Look at they’re rating. Listen for attitude. Look for attitude in their demeanor as they’re approaching the car. Are they angry? Are they vaping with smoke coming out of their mouth as they’re trying to open your door? Are they carrying open containers (red cups)? Assume this is alcohol. Some will blatantly walk up with beer cans in their hands and some will try to hide it. If you have to tell them you don’t allow it, they are likely to downrate you for it. Learn to read and see all the red flags they give off. Count the red flags and learn what your tolerance level is. Practice canceling. Become familiar with it. Sometimes you will cancel, and later, come to the conclusion that it wasn’t warranted - that’s ok. What’s worse is not canceling when you should have. Over time your judgement will become more accurate. It’s not about weather or not you will cancel, it’s about weather or not you will allow this person in your car. Every pax has to pass your test. What is your test?

TxGal81

Sounds like a good way to break terms of service and get deactivated. I would never display any kind of a weapon nor put a hand on a passenger.

The best thing to do is to pull over and call the police and if they won't get out and you feel unsafe get out of the car yourself. Whatever they do to your car the Rideshare company will pay for it.
I contacted Uber and had them deactivated. As far as getting out of my car and leaving it to drug heads. Yeah, you go ahead and do that. Good luck on getting your rideshare company to pay for it. I'm allowed to have pepper spray to protect myself.

UberBeemer

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to ridesharing. It's been a few weeks and most of my passengers have been just fine, if not enjoyable company. You have the standard work commuters, old people on their way to the grocery store, trips to the laundromat and bar-going crowd. A little goofy, at worst.

But tonight was different. This guy was entirely out of line. I can handle shutting down inappropriate conversation but I was completely at a loss for the unwelcomed physical contact. (I have an emergency kit in case things get really bad...) But all is said and done, I'm safe, he's reported and no longer eligible to ride. THANK GOD THAT SHIFT IS OVER.

But what I'm interested in now more than ever, is how other drivers kick badly behaved riders out of their cars.

TLDR; What's the best way to get people out of my car before they've reached their destination?
My advice is, look for a public place, like a gas station or 7/11 parking lot, where there are people, and security cameras. Pull in normally, stop the car, and tell the pax, in a controlled, but firm voice, "your ride is over. Please exit the car." If need be, remind them there are cameras, and witnesses, and be ready to take your phone, and keys, and get out and call 911.

Nobody has ever challenged me, but you will get cursed and probably a door gets slammed.

Last edited:

stpetej

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to ridesharing. It's been a few weeks and most of my passengers have been just fine, if not enjoyable company. You have the standard work commuters, old people on their way to the grocery store, trips to the laundromat and bar-going crowd. A little goofy, at worst.

But tonight was different. This guy was entirely out of line. I can handle shutting down inappropriate conversation but I was completely at a loss for the unwelcomed physical contact. (I have an emergency kit in case things get really bad...) But all is said and done, I'm safe, he's reported and no longer eligible to ride. THANK GOD THAT SHIFT IS OVER.

But what I'm interested in now more than ever, is how other drivers kick badly behaved riders out of their cars.

TLDR; What's the best way to get people out of my car before they've reached their destination?
Several times. Call law enforcement, point out dash cam (or pretend you have one), bear spray.
Post automatically merged:

I contacted Uber and had them deactivated. As far as getting out of my car and leaving it to drug heads. Yeah, you go ahead and do that. Good luck on getting your rideshare company to pay for it. I'm allowed to have pepper spray to protect myself.
But were they actually deactivated? I've reported gang/guns/stolen credit card activity and assault. The best I get is the joy of knowing I'll never be matched with this person again. When I've raised the topic of deactivation - hey this scumoid is a threat to ALL drivers! - no response. But maybe things have changed? Lawsuit which reveals several of us were unmatched prior to murder of this particular driver?

Last edited:

UberBastid

It is easy peasy ....
1) Pull to the right side of the road, in a safe place to offload,
2) Proclaim to pax that "you are now a pedestrian",
3) Tell them to GTFO out of your car.
(don't end the ride on your ap till they are out, and the doors locked).

Three easy steps.

PS: Almost forgot. Uber 'believes' the first report they get. So, as soon as you have left the scene and are safe, and before you turn on the ap for more rides, send Uber a detailed and colorful report as to how you "didn't feel safe" and pax was "aggressive and threatening" and "please do not match me to this passenger again."
Important that you do this ASAP, as in RFN.

Boston Bill

I have not really had to kick anyone out of the car but maybe there was 1 or 2 but I guess I just try to ignore the noise they make. The ones I really hate is when I say hi and there name and you are going to such and such and they either grunt or ignore me because they can't understand english or just don't care to answer apparently. Who the f knows or really cares anymore.

EphLux

SFOSpeedracer, if you're kicking out 1 in 40 (100 in 3300 rides). That's too high. Odds are You will get deactivated over it.

I've kicked out about 1 in 400. Most important thing to say is "I am giving you a full refund." That goes a long way. Then call Uber ASAP and say you feared for your safety or it was over a safety issue. follow up immediately via text and mention safety at least two times.

ZenUber

My rule is if you've already started the ride, finish it and at the end call the company so you won't be paired again with that rider and also to report any inappropriate behavior, and to get your side of the story on the record.

If there was a reason why I felt like I safely couldn't continue the ride then I would end it prematurely. But generally I feel that it's not worth the commotion. You never know what it's going to turn into, and you're greatly escalating the chances that the person is going to make some kind of a false claim.

I have multiple dash cams and I maintain a professional demeanor so I'm not really worried about the false claim thing, but it is a pain. You have to stop, find the video, upload it to YouTube privately, and send the link to the company with an exclamation. You're talking an hour or two.

That said, I did put out one joker, who had his wife who book the ride only to cancel the ride along the way. Technically I don't feel like that was ending the ride prematurely, they were the ones that ended it. I certainly wasn't going to drive the clown to his destination for free. The guy was talking to his wife in Spanish when he had her cancel, not knowing that I understand Spanish, saying to her "no he'll take me anyway". Another lifehack fail.
Wow! You caught him red handed. Taught him a good lesson.

EphLux

I had the exact same scammer, same Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyJessicaLS430

I’m 6’4 and 240 lbs and physically fit enough to overpower most people, so I understand how different or awkward this might feel to a young lady who’s 150 pounds .. but you have to have confidence in your voice because that will usually be enough, humans like forest animals sense fear and act accordingly on it, if the rider feels like you are not confident, they will easily refuse to get out and play the game.

I would then call the police and you need to make it sound like you’re on the verge of being attacked or killed .. because nobody is gonna tell you that 9/10 the police are going to take their sweet dunkin donut time on a dispatch for a rider not getting out of an Uber unless it sounds like the rider has a weapon. I can’t imagine a dumbass who won’t leave at that point unless he or she truly wants to harm you or steal your car.
I truly marvel your physical superiority that can overpower the general population🥺.

It reminds me of the awful experience not long I started driving Uber. The drunk middle-aged did not set a destination and he scolded at me each time I politely explained that it had to be done with the rider app.

Since every attempt in explanation went futile, I requested him to exit my vehicle by saying 'Sir, the ride is over. No way I can take you to the destination without knowing where it is'.

All he replied was 'You @@@@ just don't want to work'. That left me no choice but to request police assistance. He then said 'Fine, you little rabbit have no idea of what I am capable of'. That is the first time ever feeling my life was threatened. The moment I grabbed my phone he exited my car and slammed the door real hard. He then tried to open the driver door and fortunately all doors had locked themselves by default when put in Park.

Police... On average, it takes an hour before the officers can respond in Houston. Not sure how useful that can be in a life-or-death situation. Having learnt the hard way, I don't drive after 9pm and of course no bar pick up. Rejecting anyone with slurred speech and the inability to walk straight line is my best bet.

What do you recommend for a female driver to prepare for the worst (certainly I can't do your way 😅)? Once I consider to put an AR15 in the trunk but do wonder how practical can that be in the event of an emergency (besides I am never good at that). A close combat defeats the purpose of a rifle, not to mention leaving huge holes on my car if I miss (which is very likely).....

mbd

One Ethiopian driver told me that he would start acting crazy if he felt uncomfortable with a pax,especially if the pax has tattoos,too much beard, or drunk.
He would start talking in his native language or start to make strange noises... then cancel the trip. Pax would gladly accept the cancellation.

EphLux

Sounds like maybe you had it coming to you.
I had fraud and theft "coming to me" as a hard working Uber driver because I am an honest and hardworking American who respects the same in others (regardless of ethnicity)?

Sounds like YOU have something coming to you. Good luck with that.

ariel5466

One Ethiopian driver told me that he would start acting crazy if he felt uncomfortable with a pax,especially if the pax has tattoos,too much beard, or drunk.
He would start talking in his native language or start to make strange noises... then cancel the trip. Pax would gladly accept the cancellation.
I get wanting to get out of trips with drunks, but tattoos and beards? Square.

mbd

I get wanting to get out of trips with drunks, but tattoos and beards? Square.
Lots of immigrants not comfortable with the natives, just like the natives not comfortable with the immigrants... so a overly tattooed person Or a ZZ Top beard guy, can make them uncomfortable 👍
Ethiopians- very high character people...
Not too many Ethiopians running around with tattoos and long beards... they don’t crave attention

KK2929

------------------------
The technique may vary depending on if you are a male or female driver - -
If you have stated that you will end the ride if they do not behave with respect and they continue -- pull over, state the ride is over. please leave. If they refuse to get out of the car or stay and start running their mouth -- stop car, pull keys and phone get out of car get out and walk away while you tell them you are calling the police. Make certain that you leave them at a store or a safe, well lit area.
At that point, you are going to get a low rating. Nothing you can do about it. Do not allow bad behavior or them to damage you car. You are allowed to defend your property from damage.