• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

get the heck out of my car

Drive QCA

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to ridesharing. It's been a few weeks and most of my passengers have been just fine, if not enjoyable company. You have the standard work commuters, old people on their way to the grocery store, trips to the laundromat and bar-going crowd. A little goofy, at worst.

But tonight was different. This guy was entirely out of line. I can handle shutting down inappropriate conversation but I was completely at a loss for the unwelcomed physical contact. (I have an emergency kit in case things get really bad...) But all is said and done, I'm safe, he's reported and no longer eligible to ride. THANK GOD THAT SHIFT IS OVER.

But what I'm interested in now more than ever, is how other drivers kick badly behaved riders out of their cars.

TLDR; What's the best way to get people out of my car before they've reached their destination?

Last edited:

Drive QCA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never kicked anybody out. Looking back, there's only one group I would have kicked out if I had it to do over again... a group of young college girls who were completely out of control.
That's why I was so curious. I've been trying to find examples of situations people have been and how they addressed it, but it seems like everyone just tolerates the bad behavior for the most part.
Post automatically merged:

I'm sorry, I was looking for something a little more helpful than this.

Homie G

I've never kicked anybody out. Looking back, there's only one group I would have kicked out if I had it to do over again... a group of young college girls who were completely out of control.
Never had to break out the boot?

doyousensehumor

Just remember that Problem pax become more of a problem when you kick them out. Count on it.

Idealy you lock doors and drive away before the trip.

If not then at the very beginning of trip.

If not that either, use your best judgement. Don't warn them before you do it. Look for public place with witnesses and cameras.

Pull over to that public spot and simply state firmly, "This ride is over. You need to Exit my vehicle" when that doesn't work, "GTF out of my car." The 3rd time just call 911.

There are some senerios where just want to NOT escalate the situation. Use your best judgement.

SFOspeedracer

I have kicked out, in 4 years of driving .. if I had to make a close guess, about 100 riders to the approx 3300 rides I’ve given. 99 of those riders were men.

If at any point the rider becomes a problem, it’s imparative you remind yourself this is your vehicle that you paid for with your money .. and if you want them to exit and they refuse they are now trespassing your property just like a house and you are entitled to using any means to get them out.

I personally give them one warning, get out, I’m not going to say it again. As a prior 1st sergeant the bass and sternness in my voice is threatening as a command, because I’m not negotiating. You will get out of my car, whether I have to physically throw you out or you leave on your own is completely up to the rider.

I’m 6’4 and 240 lbs and physically fit enough to overpower most people, so I understand how different or awkward this might feel to a young lady who’s 150 pounds .. but you have to have confidence in your voice because that will usually be enough, humans like forest animals sense fear and act accordingly on it, if the rider feels like you are not confident, they will easily refuse to get out and play the game.

Pull over immediately, I will pull over on a freeway because I don’t care but if you must, pull over to a 24 hour spot or well lit area or even better, a precinct/municipality building. I’d give them one confident warning to exit, and it should be enough if you specifically say get the @@@@ out. I’d say of the 100 people I’ve kicked out for 90 of them that was the farthest I’ve had to go. if they push past that or ask why? Why! Why? Don’t bother trying to give a full length explanation, let them know you ended the trip and you do not want them in your car and they need to leave, now. This would be the point where I take my keys and wallet and go to the back and physically grab them and throw them out or whip their ass if they try anything, but if you don’t feel you can go that route and If you get the ditz that wants to ride this out at the end, I would then call the police and you need to make it sound like you’re on the verge of being attacked or killed .. because nobody is gonna tell you that 9/10 the police are going to take their sweet dunkin donut time on a dispatch for a rider not getting out of an Uber unless it sounds like the rider has a weapon. I can’t imagine a dumbass who won’t leave at that point unless he or she truly wants to harm you or steal your car.

Which brings me to my next point
Check your local laws and carry something, pepper spray .. pepper gel ... a taser would be good .. I am a fan of guns but only for immediate threats to your life.

Don’t be afraid of giving anyone the boot who doesn’t respect you or your vehicle, and like guy above me said, use your best judgement, there’s another thread on here about following your gut with pings from @reg barclay that is a good read. Your gut will usually try to divert you from a potential problem passenger.

FormerTaxiDriver♧

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to ridesharing. It's been a few weeks and most of my passengers have been just fine, if not enjoyable company. You have the standard work commuters, old people on their way to the grocery store, trips to the laundromat and bar-going crowd. A little goofy, at worst.

But tonight was different. This guy was entirely out of line. I can handle shutting down inappropriate conversation but I was completely at a loss for the unwelcomed physical contact. (I have an emergency kit in case things get really bad...) But all is said and done, I'm safe, he's reported and no longer eligible to ride. THANK GOD THAT SHIFT IS OVER.

But what I'm interested in now more than ever, is how other drivers kick badly behaved riders out of their cars.

TLDR; What's the best way to get people out of my car before they've reached their destination?

flyntflossy10

seriously you need to stick to your guns. no warnings. no balks. just do it.
you cannot threaten people, and then back down when you get the result you wanted from their behavior.
just do it. pull away for a few minutes. take a breath, and report them to uber
i also start recording with my phone as well. so whats being said can be played back clearly

IR12

Cancel the ride.
1 F bomb I ignore. Every other word an F bomb, ask them to please up the language.

That usually does it. I know they'll 1* me. I return the favor & still maintain 4.96 - 5.0.

Don't put up w/unreasonable BS that violates Terms & Agreement.
Never, ever relinquish control of YOUR car.

Rakos

Great responses so far....

I especially like the 1st Sgt. Response..

As for the monkey....

3600 rides and never tossed one yet...

Butt...if it got to that point...ever...

I would put both my fingers in my ears...

And scream as loud as I could...

By then...

they are feeling uncomfortable...

And should exit your vehicle...

Without much more arguing...8>)

As a last resort you could always...

Let your trunk monkey handle it....

Butt...that can get very messy...8>O

You DO have a trunk monkey...

DON'T you...???

Rakos
PSX_20190325_120843.jpg

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

That's why I was so curious. I've been trying to find examples of situations people have been and how they addressed it, but it seems like everyone just tolerates the bad behavior for the most part.
Post automatically merged:

I'm sorry, I was looking for something a little more helpful than this.
Hell, had an elderly couple just this week.
As I am pulling up they step into the street in front of me and almost die (hyperbole because I wasn't going that fast) so they have already violated one of my cardinal rules. Be at the curb (if no driveway) or off to the side of your driveway so I can clear the traffic lane.
He opens her door, how sweet. I actually smiled at how cute they appeared.

He tries my front door as I am attempted to explain they should have remained on the curb as I would have been able to put the car there. She said there was a puddle (a lie as I can literally see the ground where she is pointing, where my door would have been) with a nasty "how dare the servant speak to me" tone.

As hubby is getting the other back door open the wife, again in her nasty "do as master tells you" tone barks at me "you won't follow that thing you will take my husbands direction.

Swiped End Trip and confirmed cancel ride.
Did the right hand to headrest of passenger seat crank the body around and solid eye contact and in a polite, soothing sweet But firm voice informed her "You may exit my car as you do not get to speak to me as if I am your slave. Your ride has been canceled."
The husband, who had only heard the last part was momentarily confused.
While still holding solid eye contact with his wife I informed him "Your wife thinks it's okay to speak to me as if I was your servant so your ride is canceled. Please remove her from my car. I hope you" (again still holding solid eye contact so she knows this is aimed at her) "figure out how to be polite to your next driver and speak courteously to them. Good day."

That was the best one.

Had another this week.
Go to pull into the driveway and the dude gets this snarky look in his face and proceed to walk through his driveway as if I am not good enough to be on his property.
He tries to open, first the front door and then, the back door while the car is still moving.
Yanks the door open with this huge entitled jerk style ::sigh:: and proceeds to give me "stank eye".
Me, literally out loud, "Nope. Rides canceled due to your unacceptable attitude. "
Now, mind you, this area you cancel before a certain time period and the ride just slides to the next driver willing to accept it.
"No, you can't do this. That's the last of my Uber money and I have to get to Walmart to pickup money my parents sent me." Dude is easily mid 20s early 30s but no judgement from me seeing he is in an absolute panic I inform him he isn't getting in my car but I made sure to cancel such that he won't be charged and to check his app.
Also, "Not my problem. Perhaps next time allow the driver attempting to enter your driveway to safely pick you up and don't catch an attitude with them." The NMP was because he kept doing the "but I gotta pickup the money...ended with I will give you 20.00 after I get the money...confirming the worst part... This guy expected a driver to wait. At Walmart. While he went to get his moneygram... on what would have been minimum fare on the round trip...

You think you can do and act as you please for what amounts to 3.43 paid to the driver?
FFS not even if I was getting the entire 7.65 they charged you.
40.00 an hour is my base rate for doormat level service and that still requires you to be more Bruce Wayne and less Lex Luther about it.

GTFOOMC homie don't play that.

doyousensehumor

I think it is important to take your keys and phone and get out of the car before you tell the passenger to. It sends all the right messages.
Nope. The only message it sends to them is you want to fight em, or assault them.

Unless they are swinging a knife around, or you are a really fast runner, or LE is on scene, the safest place for you to be is your drivers seat.

CJfrom619

In 5 years of driving I’ve had to kick out around a dozen riders. It’s very easy you just tell then that your not continuing the ride and to get out of the car. Ive had none of those riders refuse to leave. Most of those instances I reported them for behavior. I will give them a verbal warning before I kick them out though...it normally goes like this “ your making me very uncomfortable and if your behavior doesn’t change then I’m going to pull over and end the ride.” That normally makes things quiet but some choose to continue and leave me no other chose. It better to kick someone out before a situation escalates.

Atom guy

I have kicked out exactly 2 passengers in my over 13,000 trips with Uber/Lyft. Neither time was a problem getting them to leave. I have been very lucky. I would also say I have a high tolerance for people being their idiot selves.

touberornottouber

Basically an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Ideally you never let such people in your car in the first place.

- Don't drive at night.
- Definitely don't drive at bar closing (the pay isn't there anymore anyway)
- If the passenger has any negative or entitled attitude at all then cancel the trip and drive off!
- If the passenger has open containers, are too many passengers, are fighting, etc. as you approach them then simply cancel the trip and drive off without making any contact at all.
- Be slow to start the trip once the passenger is in the car. If they show themselves to be a problem then cancel the trip and firmly eject them.
- If the passenger calls and asks rudely where you are, "why is it taking so long", etc. always cancel the trip and move on!
- If you mess up in some major way in picking up the passenger (such as you took a wrong turn which added five minutes to the wait time) then just cancel the trip and move on.
- This one may be controversial but if I greet the passenger and they do not respond then unless they are deaf or have headphones on I will cancel the trip and call it an "app error". I find that people like that are trouble. If nothing else they will downrate you for no reason.

doyousensehumor

This mostly applies to Night shift where the drunks and tweakers are more likely to be out.

Some of it is because we have less tolerance for BS at 60 cents per mile... other times it is obvious that the trip will result in a 1* or complaint.

Lecturing pax is about as good as a 2 star. I skip that. If the lecturing "works" you just earned yourself a 1* and a false complaint.

To be clear, kicking out a pax is very rare. I do more nights than days, and it is about 1 in 300 to 500 rides.

Most problem pax give away telltale signs as they walk up, or before you start driving. We want to avoid kicking pax out midtrip at all possible, as it is the most dangerous senerio driving. Pax will get angry.

Atom guy

Basically an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Ideally you never let such people in your car in the first place.

- Don't drive at night.
- Definitely don't drive at bar closing (the pay isn't there anymore anyway)
- If the passenger has any negative or entitled attitude at all then cancel the trip and drive off!
- If the passenger has open containers, are too many passengers, are fighting, etc. as you approach them then simply cancel the trip and drive off without making any contact at all.
- Be slow to start the trip once the passenger is in the car. If they show themselves to be a problem then cancel the trip and firmly eject them.
- If the passenger calls and asks rudely where you are, "why is it taking so long", etc. always cancel the trip and move on!
- If you mess up in some major way in picking up the passenger (such as you took a wrong turn which added five minutes to the wait time) then just cancel the trip and move on.
- This one may be controversial but if I greet the passenger and they do not respond then unless they are deaf or have headphones on I will cancel the trip and call it an "app error". I find that people like that are trouble. If nothing else they will downrate you for no reason.
I'm not that aggressive about cancelling, but yes, prevention is the best cure for bad passengers.