Get Me App

JimS

There are a bunch of individual threads on most of the other rideshare apps in Austin, but the only prominent Get Me threads are about getting paid late. Other than that, how is the hunt and peck app working out for y'all? Is it getting any better? Still Zip Code based?

tcc83

Hard to work long shifts with the hunting and pecking. Technology isn't great. Better rates but longer drives to the pax because it doesn't ping the closest driver. Not sure how wide of a net it casts, but I can be at the Capitol and get rides to show up from south of the river to north of ut. I have had pretty good quality of pax although tipping has become less common than it once was.

Klimber

It is feast or famine. I get rides often with GM but you really have to be stationary to get the quick peck needed to get the ride. Shame cause the pay is good. I see tons of rides that are there and gone in tenths of a second.

I find it shocking that GM is still using my this broad spectrum approach to their app. The only thing these people have changed about their app since April is reining in the zone that you will see the requests. Originally the entire city, now a 3 mile boundary. Crazy they are not even trying to make their app better. Crappy app still crashes at the start of every other pickup.

I actually got a trip from 10 miles out (round rock) ride.

El Gato

Yeah. I've been keeping track of rides via a 3rd party app (thanks ziggy for that tid bit) and noticed lot a of mileage calculations with GetMe. Had to email for adjustments more than once. I've also seen mileage errors in my favor as well. It's really weird.

JimS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They need to get their act together.

Any word on if any of these start ups are actually making any money or hemorrhaging like U/L?

tcc83

Drove for getme all evening and was pretty dang busy. Got home and it looks like a new app. Not sure what is different yet other than the styling.

Ziggy

According to the Google Play (Android) page ... says what's new:
  • improved communication between drivers & members
  • performance improvements
Haven't seen the iPhone updates yet ... forgot to plugin the iPhone last night :frown:

Honestly doesn't seem like they did much ... they've been thumping their chest for months talking about the new app ... this is a let down. And where's the Lux (VIP) option that they've been promising for months?

Ziggy

Any word on if any of these start ups are actually making any money or hemorrhaging like U/L?
Fare has been making money ... enough that they moved their HQ from PHX to AUS; I think they said that they did more rides in the 1st 2 weeks in Austin than the previous month in Phoenix ... of course they are competing with U/L in PHX.
GetMe has been hemorrhaging money ... but that was due to their own stupidity, as they were giving pax an unlimited 50% discount and were paying drivers as if they collected 100%. Anyone with basic math skills would realize that was a scheme that was doomed

Jay Dean

It is funny watching the get me app now that college students are back, people requesting a ride less than a mile with 4 stars in middle of campus lol it stays on the board for a long time

Ziggy

It is funny watching the get me app now that college students are back, people requesting a ride less than a mile with 4 stars in middle of campus lol it stays on the board for a long time
I saw a trip 2 months ago that stayed on the board for 2+ hours ... pax had 3 stars

These days unless someone puts in their destination (longer than 5 miles), I'm not gonna pickup anything less than a 5* pax

tcc83

Pax ratings actually work with getme unlike uber. People were always willing to pick up low star pax within a minute. Even if the first two drivers turned somebody down the third or fourth would pick it up.

Ziggy

GetMe app buggy lately 3/5 trips had wrong pickup address; some were off by a few miles

vnphantom

I've had this problem too but most of the time it is user error.

If your phone has been idle, when you first start up any location based app, the location that is reported at first is only an approximate based on cell signal triangulation and WiFi. It takes a good 5 seconds for the phone to get a GPS lock and pinpoint the exact location.

So you see, when people fire up the app they don't check whether the pin is at the correct location or it's just an approximate.

So if you see a request that just says st like "1, Austin, TX" or "3000-3999 E Riverside Dr", it is most likely off by at least a few hundred feet. If it has an address, the user actually typed it in so it's good.

Just my observation.

FARE actually had more problem with location back when they used Nokia HERE mapping service. It has been better after they switched to Google Maps but still not perfect.

Last edited:

El Gato

GetMe app buggy lately 3/5 trips had wrong pickup address; some were off by a few miles
Had an issue like this today. I called the pax to let him know that I had arrived and when he said chase bank I was confused as I was at an old folks home in Westlake. When I told him where I was he said that was the drop off location. Oops. Think though that may have been user error, but who knows.

Ziggy

Had an issue like this today. I called the pax to let him know that I had arrived and when he said chase bank I was confused as I was at an old folks home in Westlake. When I told him where I was he said that was the drop off location. Oops. Think though that may have been user error, but who knows.
None of mine were remotely related to either p/u or d/o address ... they were just flat out wrong.
  1. GM app showed p/u on Hwy 290 ... actual p/u was Hwy 71 ... pax was going downtown
  2. app showed p/u at Rudy's on 360 ... actual p/u was West Lake Blvd ... pax was going to domain
Worked out that on both of these trips ... the trip was longer than the original trip ... but I had to submit a ticket for each error; still waiting on my account to get updated with the correct fare.