General Membership Meeting

Inshur

Ryan Price

On July 19th from 10am-4pm the Independent Drivers Guild is hosting two hour Membership Meetings to address the common questions from the drivers we represent. Together, we’ll discuss these questions:

• What is the Guild?

• What’s the Guild going to do next?

• How will workers control the Guild?

• How can workers get benefits?

• How can we win more money for drivers?
Join us July 19th from 10am-4pm in two-hour blocks (10am-noon, noon-2pm, 2pm-4pm). The Guild will only win with worker participation.

Invite your friends here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1733194940295661/

Admitter

I guess after the first HUGE victory by the guild ( $1.00000000000 increase in the fare ) nobody wants to go.

Ryan Price

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea I stopped caring about them when I learned that a fare increase was not on their initial agenda.
So you know, we're working on increasing driver pay (not necessarily just fare), but we need to get enough workers under our umbrella before moving forward on a campaign that massive. If you want us to take on that campaign, get involved. This is going to be a worker-led Guild.

Ryan Price

These guys are uber shills. They are paid by Uber via 3rd party.
We won a contract that requires uber to pay the Guild so we can organize workers, but we do not work for uber. We're affiliates of the Machinists Union working to represent all app-based and black car drivers in the city, which if you're familiar with the black car industry in NYC, you'd know they've been organizing those workers for something like two decades. If you're actually interested in building a Guild that is independent and fights for drivers, come to the meeting. If you'd like to continue talking trash through internet anonymity and not fighting against corporate greed, by all means do so.

Rustyshackelford

There are too many uneducated bodies behind the wheel. Impossible to make a change before they stem the flow of new drivers. The fact that raising fares isn't a priority shows that their interests parallel with uber.

Rustyshackelford

What makes you think that's not a priority for us? It's the fifth bullet point.
Because I spoke to your organization and it wasn't on the list. It should be the first not fifth. Raise rates lower commission. Top priority. Instead you have stupid interests like a tipping option.

As I said many times when a person doesn't have to tip you to your face a majority will not. Take lyft and gett for example. How many of us got tipped ? What percentage?
If the rates were fare and commission lowered no driver would give two craps about tips. But when you're funded by the beast your interests will coincide won't they.

Ryan Price

Because I spoke to your organization and it wasn't on the list. It should be the first not fifth. Raise rates lower commission. Top priority. Instead you have stupid interests like a tipping option.
I think you're conflating the Workers Council Meeting, where drivers met with management, and the priorities of the Guild. I assume you talked with MG, in which case I think there may have been a misunderstanding and I would suggest you have another conversation with her.

As I said many times when a person doesn't have to tip you to your face a majority will not. Take lyft and gett for example. How many of us got tipped ? What percentage?
The vast majority of drivers want a tipping option, and we work for the drivers, so we are working to push for a tipping option.

If the rates were fare and commission lowered no driver would give two craps about tips. But when you're funded by the beast your interests will coincide won't they.
Although I agree that the per-ride take home should be higher for drivers, here's the issue with the argument that tips don't matter: it is illegal for uber to take a cut off the top of tip money. My personal preference would be is to build a flat gratuity charge into every fare, which would both serve to lower uber's cut and increase the fare, however, we need to first get workers together and discuss what the preferred method of increasing their pay would be from the workers perspective. Everything is possible, but staff isn't going to tell the workers what the Guild should do, we're working to be worker-led by organizing first.

Rustyshackelford

I think you're conflating the Workers Council Meeting, where drivers met with management, and the priorities of the Guild. I assume you talked with MG, in which case I think there may have been a misunderstanding and I would suggest you have another conversation with her.

The vast majority of drivers want a tipping option, and we work for the drivers, so we are working to push for a tipping option.

Although I agree that the per-ride take home should be higher for drivers, here's the issue with the argument that tips don't matter: it is illegal for uber to take a cut off the top of tip money. My personal preference would be is to build a flat gratuity charge into every fare, which would both serve to lower uber's cut and increase the fare, however, we need to first get workers together and discuss what the preferred method of increasing their pay would be from the workers perspective. Everything is possible, but staff isn't going to tell the workers what the Guild should do, we're working to be worker-led by organizing first.
Have you talked to a majority of the drivers? Do you know what you're up against? Top and only priority should be is raising the fares and lowering commission. The rest will resolve itself. Until that's the main priority of this organization I won't waste another minute on it.

Second priority is stop the unlimited flow of unqualified drivers. And reduce the amount we have now. We have passed the parity point. There is more supply than demand. Maybe like no more second chances. Your rating is below snuff. Adios.

Spy & Mash

The larger unions are the ones that are usually the most 'crooked' as the people at the top of these so-called 'unions' are being 'paid off' by the organisations they are supposed to be fighting.
They provide minimum input and false stability, silencing and quelling workers disharmony.
Some unions like to control their members as well.
Unfortunately for some people in this world money does the talking.

stuber

Jeeze. Give the guy a break.

If there's disagreement about the particulars, fine. But one thing is certainly true, Uber never going to change until drivers act in unison.

Here's a compromise...Sign up for the Guild on one condition: the Guild shares the member list with any members who request to have it. Then, if you don't like the direction they're going, or they're representation, then you can form another association. That should keep everyone on task.

boricano

No breaks for Ryan and the Guild, a "Union" means one, and they most definitely are not with the driver collective, so Mr. Ryan is not with us all. We are out here busting our ass for a transportation company that does not call it self such. The one and most important subject is not even priority on the list. DRIVER PAY, followed by a ridiculous 20-25% COMMISSION. And yes, caps on the internet is considered yelling. I yell, because all his post sound like the same old shit.

sssteven

No breaks for Ryan and the Guild, a "Union" means one, and they most definitely are not with the driver collective, so Mr. Ryan is not with us all. We are out here busting our ass for a transportation company that does not call it self such. The one and most important subject is not even priority on the list. DRIVER PAY, followed by a ridiculous 20-25% COMMISSION. And yes, caps on the internet is considered yelling. I yell, because all his post sound like the same old shit.
juno ftw is my answer.
%10 plus shares of company. lets not forget tips plus surge :smiles:

Inshur New York