Geico would cancel my insurance

Roogy

Just started driving a little over a week ago. Have done about 15 trips. I was examing my insurance policy with Geico and in a section called "Important Notice" there was this statement: "There is no coverage under this policy for any motor vehicle that is operated, maintained or used as part of any personal vehicle sharing facilitated by any personal vehicle sharing program."

So I called Geico and the rep said my policy is still good, but could be void if I continue to drive for Uber, and she recommended I hold off while their underwriters send me a questionnaire.

I was only planning to drive maybe 5 hours a week so I'm going to stop for now. Commercial insurance doesn't make sense for my situation and I don't want to get voided over a $100-150 hr/week side job.

Anyone else have Geico and dealt with this?

Uber Driver 007

I guess you can expect a notice of insurance cancellation. Their underwriters can't help you, Geico doesn't sell commercial auto insurance.

Roogy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That would be an extreme response from them. Seems a more appropriate response would be "your insurance is void if you drive for a rideshare at any point in the future". If that's the way they want to go.

LookyLou

Unfortunately Geico is one of if not the worst when it comes to this. Many get their questionnaire out of the blue when they have never mentioned ride sharing ot inquired about it. They are getting information on drivers from somewhere, but nobody knows where.

None of us want to give up any information about what we are doing voluntarily. We know we are in a very grey area on our insurance. But none of us wan't to lie and commit fraud if asked directly. The Geico questionnaire is exactly what non of us want to ever see. At that point we either have to commit insurance fraud or most likely be dropped by our insurance companies.

Roogy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good point UberRey. I jumped to the conclusion that they were talking about ridesharing. And maybe they were but didn't word it as well as they should have and left a loophole.

Now I'm nervous they're going to cancel my policy, like the guy who first replied stated. Or that the questionnaire they send will implicitly say I have to desist ridesharing or my policy is null and void. In which case if I were to continue, and got into an accident thru personal use, they could dig into it and find out I was still driving and thus have basis to deny my claim.

Older Chauffeur

My auto policy (not Geico) seems to differentiate between ride sharing/shared expense carpooling and for hire driving for companies like Uber and Lyft. No coverage for driving for hire unless it is applied for and specifically described in the policy. I have not asked for any further explanation or interpretation, even though I do not currently, nor do I intend to use my personal vehicle to drive for Uber, Lyft, et al.
Your Geico contact mentioned sending you a questionnaire, but you probably answered similar questions on your original application regarding using your vehicle for business purposes. There are threads discussing the whole insurance issue here, some rather heated.
I agree with your decision to not put your personal insurance at risk. But I'm cautious by nature. OTOH, there are members here who maintain that Uber's insurance covers you adequately when you are actively engaged for them, and your personal policy isn't involved. If I were interested in being an Uber driver, I would have an attorney read both their policy and my personal coverage and advise me where I would stand in case of an accident while so engaged.

floridog

My auto policy (not Geico) seems to differentiate between ride sharing/shared expense carpooling and for hire driving for companies like Uber and Lyft. No coverage for driving for hire unless it is applied for and specifically described in the policy. I have not asked for any further explanation or interpretation, even though I do not currently, nor do I intend to use my personal vehicle to drive for Uber, Lyft, et al.
Your Geico contact mentioned sending you a questionnaire, but you probably answered similar questions on your original application regarding using your vehicle for business purposes. There are threads discussing the whole insurance issue here, some rather heated.
I agree with your decision to not put your personal insurance at risk. But I'm cautious by nature. OTOH, there are members here who maintain that Uber's insurance covers you adequately when you are actively engaged for them, and your personal policy isn't involved. If I were interested in being an Uber driver, I would have an attorney read both their policy and my personal coverage and advise me where I would stand in case of an accident while so engaged.
Uber absolutely positively does NOT cover an Uber driver or their vehicle. That is fact!!!!

grams777

Author
I'm pretty sure vehicle sharing refers to services such as relay rides where you list your car for other to rent it out.

Uber would be some thing different related to livery, taxi, transporting passengers for compensation (except carpool), or vehicle for hire. It should be excluded in the policy too.

Sean O'Gorman

The language that the OP is citing is from an endorsement that ISO (the company that drafts the policy language used word for word by virtually every insurance company) issued about a year ago, and was designed specifically to reiterate the lack of coverage for people who put their cars up for rent on sites like relayrides.com. It's not really anything new, insurance doesn't cover losses that occur when you rent your personal vehicle out to strangers. It would be covered under the policy of the person doing the renting though.

UberBlackDriverLA

You are not SHARING your vehicle at all. You are the only driver, and you're giving your pals a ride. Who cares if they chip in for gas?
Except they are not your "pals," they are complete strangers. And they are chipping in for gas... And your minimum wage... And vehicle maintence... And vehicle depreciation... And billions of profit for Uber.

scrurbscrud

That would be an extreme response from them. Seems a more appropriate response would be "your insurance is void if you drive for a rideshare at any point in the future". If that's the way they want to go.
Good thing you checked, huh? I've noted here many times that Geico, State Farm, Progressive and Esurance all have the same RULE. We've also had drivers report that Liberty Mutual and other personal auto insurance companies have the same rule. If you drive ride share your personal insurance policy is [possibly] VOIDED by ride share activity.

Glad some have the common sense to check before something happens that can ruin their insurance rates for a good long time i.e. an unreported accident to their personal insurance company that only gets reported to their ride share insurance, or worse yet, a serious accident on their personal driving time where accident investigators discover they have a record in the national DOT database for their physical for ride share that is starting to be a requirement in some states. Pretty easy to find out, huh?

No, it probably doesn't make too much sense for part timers to incur the cost of legitmate insurance. You're just one of the brighter bulbs in the chandelier.

So, CONGRATS on keeping yourself out of potential trouble!

scrurbscrud

I might note that it is also a blatant insurance foul to have an accident only reported to Uber and not to the drivers personal auto insurance company. Uber also requires the drivers personal auto company to be notified FIRST in the case of any app time [with no pax] accident so they are going to find out anyway.

Also any accidents reported only to Uber WILL show up as an accident in the insurance company scans at renewal time whether they were reported to them or not, so there is no hiding accidents as an angle to dodge having the personal auto insurance company find out.

scrurbscrud

It's RIDEsharing, not VEHICLEsharing. I'd argue this in court any day of the week.
It doesn't matter what Uber calls it. It only matters what the personal insurance company calls it and they call it commercial driving for hire activity.

Until Uber is able to shove THEIR definition down the personal auto insurance companies throats {which AIN'T gonna happen!} it's LIVERY in the eyes of the personal auto insurance companies, and therefore a higher premium will be paid to obtain suitable coverage.

I'd expect that if personal auto insurance companies even want this type of insurance available, they'll have a HIGHER PRICED PACKAGE available at some time. Until then though, it's commercial insurance time boyz!

Piotrowski

OHHH you can overdo yourself on the FUD soup that is dished out by some people on here on this issue, with others only wanting to see more of it.