Gas

onionhead

i never use an entire tank of gas during a night of work. It’s usually about half a tank full when I’m done (avg 6h driving). Should I be filling up every night after my shift to have a full tank for the next day?

To cut down on gas costs, I’m thinking about putting in just $16 in gas per night instead of $18-$20 required to fill it up. I won’t have a full tank usually, but that won’t matter because I always have half a tank left.

What is the downside to this system?

LADriver

i never use an entire tank of gas during a night of work. It’s usually about half a tank full when I’m done (avg 6h driving). Should I be filling up every night after my shift to have a full tank for the next day?

To cut down on gas costs, I’m thinking about putting in just $16 in gas per night instead of $18-$20 required to fill it up. I won’t have a full tank usually, but that won’t matter because I always have half a tank left.

In the limo business it is standard procedure/job requirement to top off the tank before returning the car to base. This assures the next driver starts a shift with a full tank. All professional drivers know this routine.

For rideshare, in which you are the only driver, it's not so critical. But, I always recommend to any driver to top off the tank as a precaution to a possible earthquake. I've been through the major quakes in '71 and '94. The power goes out. That means the gas pumps don't work unless they have an emergency generator. ATMs won't work to get gas money (I keep an emergency $40 in my armrest). Basically, you'll be better off in any kind of emergency because you'll be gassed up.

As for gas costs. I drive a Prius and rarely use more than half a tank (200 miles), $15. To save a dollar a day ($30/month) I stop at $14. To save two dollars a day ($60/month) I stop at $13. This keeps my tank about 3/4 and saves me a couple of dollars that stay in my account.

Last edited:

UberLaLa

Yes of course. Putting only $16-$18 in each night will save you $4-$6 daily.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Different kinda gas don't start getoutofmycar

How's the Turning Japanese going, deadmile ??

WMUber

To cut down on gas costs

It costs the same to keep a tank on full as it does on empty...

This is one of the stupidest questions ever posted. For a "Well-Known Member", boy you are worse than an ant.

If you use $16.00 a night for gas, you use $16.00 a night for gas. It doesn't matter if your tank is full, 3/4, or 1/2 - It is still $16.00 of gas. Fill your tank completely when you are finished. Start the day with a full tank. You never know, you may get that base fare ride to San Diego and have to dead mile it home.

Last edited:

mandreyka

In the limo business it is standard procedure/job requirement to top off the tank before returning the car to base. This assures the next driver starts a shift with a full tank. All professional drivers know this routine.

For rideshare, in which you are the only driver, it's not so critical. But, I always recommend to any driver to top off the tank as a precaution to a possible earthquake. I've been through the major quakes in '71 and '92. The power goes out. That means the gas pumps don't work unless they have an emergency generator. ATMs won't work to get gas money (I keep an emergency $40 in my armrest). Basically, you'll be better off in any kind of emergency because you'll be gassed up.

As for gas costs. I drive a Prius and rarely use more than half a tank (200 miles), $15. To save a dollar a day ($30/month) I stop at $14. To save two dollars a day ($60/month) I stop at $13. This keeps my tank about 3/4 and saves me a couple of dollars that stay in my account.

So what happens when gas prices change ??

Damn how bad has this got that we are worrying about putting $2 less in gas in the car.

If I stop for gas I fill it up, I'm XL so mine burns more and it is why I only go out when I know I can make money.

Driving around on a Wednesday afternoon is a total loss right now for me

Snowblind

I agree with WMUber ....once you are at the Gas Station, what difference does it make to fill it up all the way?
Besides, Gas may cost a few pennies more today.
There's that.
:smiles:

tohunt4me

I fill up 3 times a shift sometimes.
I try to never get below a 1/2 tank.
There is a 26 mile bridge in my market.

Bleach

Where do you get gas at?

(Asking for an UP forum friend...) :wink:

Just Another Uber Drive

I usually fill up at the beginning of shifts. I'm in a Prius so I'm generally good for whatever the job may require. Two gallons will cover me for an Amazon block or a night of extreme anting or preferably a decent ride penetrating deep in to an adjoining county. If gas is particularly low I'll fill up before going home otherwise I'll just repeat the process above.

Sluber

For rideshare, in which you are the only driver, it's not so critical. But, I always recommend to any driver to top off the tank as a precaution to a possible earthquake. I've been through the major quakes in '71 and '92. The power goes out. That means the gas pumps don't work unless they have an emergency generator. ATMs won't work to get gas money (I keep an emergency $40 in my armrest). Basically, you'll be better off in any kind of emergency because you'll be gassed up.