1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Gas should be around $70 per gallon.

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by Bob fox, Oct 30, 2017.

?
  1. free

32 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. $1

47 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. $2

53 vote(s)
    31.4%
  4. $3

8 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. $4

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. $5

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. $10

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. $70

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. $700

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  10. $4900

23 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bob fox

Bob fox Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Gas should be around $70 per gallon. We would use less of it. We would buy prius and possibly even disappear completely up our own a55. We would bike trips that are two miles or less... and that would become 5 miles or less. Fewer needless cars on the road on the way to the gym... you know, to walk on a treadmill and ride a state-of-the-art bicycle that plugs into the wall.. that's powered by "clean" nuclear energy. Health expenses would be reduced. Air quality improved. But instead, people lack long-term thinking and always want the shortcuts, the easy way. Thus the increase in expense comes hidden in our societies. The food quality is reduced. People become less bright with lower quality water. Fatness increases by design until we choose otherwise.

But explain to me otherwise what would happen. Certainly you can teach me something. What if each week gas was increased by 10 cents per gallon? Because I would love to see that happen.

$3.39 $3.49 $3.59 $3.69 $3.79 $3.89 $3.99

We will reach $69.99 within 14 years.

phillipzx3 likes this.
  2. pomegranite112

pomegranite112 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Would be nice but it wont happen overnight. I agree with you. There are alternatives and I am against gasoline cars for people that just want to commute or go from 1 place to the next. We have so much real estate up in the air that we don't take advantage of.

If you flipped the switch overnight, you'll have major i mean MAJOR problems within the economy.

3. Bob fox

Bob fox Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Definately NOT overnight... Mass violence, societal collapse etc. Imagine if back in the day when people used to eat actual food, if overnight it was replaced with Cheez-its, Twinkies, kool-aid, "Wonder" bread, pressurized cheese in a can, etc. People never would have went for it. They would have tasted the difference.

Look at society. Think about it. We're making such a mess, but not everyone and we don't have to simply by being alive. Sociopathic corporations are the worst. The individual seldom does what is best if it's the least bit inconvenient.

tohunt4me and yoyolate like this.
  4. travelhacker

travelhacker New Member

What you are describing has been discussed many times by economists. A tax of bad things forces people to reconsider the bad things in favor of good things. For example, if organic food was cheaper than pesticide riddled food, everyone would switch to organics and the pesticide farmers would switch to growing organics and eventually no one would grow or buy anything but organic.

If we made electric cars cheaper than gas powered cars, no one except a crazy few would buy gas cars. Its a simple formula.

5. pomegranite112

Driving:
    UberX
    Gas cars will still be around. Some people like our sports cars. We like to hear the engine roar. Although for the other 99%, gas cars should not be a thing

6. travelhacker

travelhacker New Member

Yes, totally agree. Gas cars will be here for a while until its impossible to buy gas from a service station. The norm will be electric charging.

blueberrycrunch likes this.
  7. Jcposeidon

Jcposeidon Active Member

Id still drive my big v8 truck and use all my toys like 4weeler and boats. If gas went up that high prices of everything would go up. You need gas to transport goods like the high quality food you want.

UberSchmuber and MoreTips like this.
  8. crookedhalo

crookedhalo Well-Known Member

E85? Any engine with a knock sensor (anything built after 1996) can run it. I get to keep my full size sedan and feel good about burning a renewable

phillipzx3 likes this.
  9. Trafficat

Trafficat Well-Known Member

Health expenses would be reduced? When it costs ten times as much to ship your medicine because everyone has to use electric cars to do it, health expenses would be higher. People working out? Seems doubtful... they'd be riding segways around if it was too expensive to drive. They'd be cutting out expensive fruits and veggies from their diets because the price of fruits and veggies would skyrocket. People would replace such expensive foods in their diet with high fructose corn syrup mainly.

Unless you live in the heart of a big city, there is hardly any place in 2 miles anyway. Where I live I need to drive about 10 miles to get just about anywhere important. About half of the country lives out in suburban or rural areas. You would see a shift from the suburbs back to the cities and cramped living. Rural folks too poor for electric cars and too far from charging stations would probably come up with creative ways to get around like wood burning trucks, using diesel engines with vegetable oil, etc.... none of which is great for the air quality.

Air quality improved? Maybe in city centers... overall we'd just burn lots of coal instead of gas. The leftists hate nuclear power and solar costs too much. Maybe locally your air quality would improve a little bit, but the powerplants would be on overdrive converting lots of coal into electricity to run the Teslas for the rich people who could still afford to drive and for the electric powered big trucks and coal powered trains that would be used to fill in the gap when gasoline was mandated by law to cost $69 a gallon. The cost of coal would also go up.

The only thing that would come from increased gas prices is increased costs of living for everyone.

bsliv, Kembolicous, Duber12 and 6 others like this.
  10. rman954

rman954 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Liberals live in a fantasy world where everyone on the planet lives in a big city like they do.

11. swingset

swingset Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Awesome idea! The costs of goods and services would soar out of control, energy and transportation would sky rocket. The working poor, the dependent, the fixed-income elderly would be instantly cast into life-threatening poverty, and the productive people would be lucky to afford food, let alone help anyone out of that condition, the rich would probably be ok if the mobs of starving and angry people didn't kill them all first.

It would be a wonderfully simple and elegant society killer, this $70/gas you imagine.

This kind of Utopia isn't even that hard to imagine, just look at the Ukraine after the Bolcheviks came to town. Paradise! *by paradise, I mean mass starvation and death.

It's true, economists, really stupid ones with no experience in the real world, have advocated things like this. It's a simple formula, that doesn't work.

Price controls just lead to shortages and misery.

If mass farming and pesticide/GMOs' are taxed out of viability, you'd get a lot less food....and press vastly more ground into less productive farming techniques, making food prices soar and people in developing nations starve to death.

But, yeah, other than that.

BTW, organic doesn't mean pesticide free or healthier. In fact, it can often be the opposite.

12. nickd8775

nickd8775 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Gas should be $12 a gallon and cars should be free. That way, you pay the true cost of driving as you fill up.

13. pomegranite112

Driving:
    UberX
    Thats too high unless your paying 30% interest

14. Bob fox

Bob fox Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    I am well aware of that. We can also have more locally sourced foods, products and services. That's kinda the point. We're eating apples from six thousand miles away. Food sits in warehouses for weeks and months... filled with toxic preservatives, waxes, wastes from other industries added. The whole thing is insanely wasteful. Gardens are a simple solution. Neighborhood gardens, people knowing their neighbors again, community. Accountability. It goes hand-in-hand. Artificially cheap gas has allowed urban sprawl to totally undermine community and sensible logistics.. The stupidity of infinite growth models in finite systems...

This may come as a surprise, but I voted in the above pole for $4,900. Glad to see a full third of our population here agrees! I'm not saying you can't drive your truck around, I just want to know your ride-sharing secrets that would allow you to afford to :)

15. Seahawk3

Seahawk3 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    you apparently have never lived somewhere cold or off the beaten path. I live in both those areas. to bike or walk everyday would be near impossible and more likely dangerous

Dug_M likes this.
  16. Bob fox

Bob fox Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    the "true cost"... I know that's a thing in the monetary analysis by the experts, but I also offer that the REAL true cost should be mathematically calculated to assess the effects and damage. Do this on a per-gallon basis. Assess the effects all the way from the politics to the wars to the spreading of freedom and freeing the savages from all that extra oil... to the refining, production, distribution... air and water pollution, corresponding medical costs. It's a lot more than twelve bucks on a per gallon basis. Compare that to a bicycle. Yes, the rubber tires may be oil based, but uses a lot less. It uses a fifth as many calories per mile compared to even walking. So many things to consider.

I'm in sunny california. I have however lived all over the country. Grew up on the east coast, running and biking in the snow and ice for many months out of the year. So it's not so much that I lack the experience only that I chose to do it anyway even though it wasn't the most convenient. That was cold. How about the warmth? I was in arizona a half decade+. Biked 400-500 miles a week, every week for six years. 90-112 degrees. Realize if you think that sounds impossible that the world record for most miles biked in 24 hours is around 339 miles... if you're visiting the year 1879. Now it's between 557 miles for a regular old bike and 757 miles for an aerodynamic recumbent bike. That's a single day. My point is this: people say, "It's ridiculous to think that everyone can just go out and bike 5 miles." I think it's ridiculous to think that your everyday person can't do even seven tenths of one percent of that.

Meanwhile we got a third the human race that can't even see they're nuts.

17. Jcposeidon

Jcposeidon Active Member

And what about the areas that cant produce such products with extreme climate we just say tough luck? I didnt say i would still do rideshare either although the pay would increase also there wpuld still be a demand for it. Everything would increase in prices and people would probably get let go from companies that couldnt afford those prices. Now we have an even bigger homeless problem. Price for gas has gone up and in my area jumped big time with the storms what did people do bought more gas and did more ride sharing. Prices has continued to climb but the gas powered vehicle has yet to disappear.

What about those of us who were disabled from their work. Im a disabled vet who sure as hell cant ride a bike out the driveway so am i just up **** creek?

Kembolicous likes this.
  18. Bob fox

Bob fox Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    You know.. about this starving to death thing.. In the USA and other very obese countries, people are being fed to death. Literally. Cut an animals' food supply in half, it lives twice as long. Holds true for every animal every tested. Life extension foundation found that every calorie in excess of what it takes to meet the minimum requirements for nutrition has a corresponding 30 secs less of longevity. This has do to transcription errors during cell replication. Fasting cleans up cellular debris and lessens the biological age (measurable via biomarkers). What we're doing in this society is the opposite. E pluribus, unum. Name of the game. People are over-fed and undernourished with artificially cheap food from thousands of miles away.

Not everyone is within 2 miles of a grocery store. Of course. But It's about 81% of the US that lives urban. What we should do is a combination of efforts. Gardens. Bikes. Carpooling. Companies being allowed to only produce what is 100% biodegradable. Cradle-to-Cradle design by architect William Macdonough. Full circle mindedness. Begin with the end in mind.

19. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    I guess that rules out my 1957 DeSoto Adventurer.

20. Bob fox

Bob fox Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Not at all. I think we should as a society look after each other. The vast majority of people can ride a bike for instance. So for them that would be a good thing to do. I do not know you but I'm sure you have talents. I'm also sure that exhaust from vehicles isn't helping you either. Perhaps you uber and are an awesome car-pooler. Sounds like a win to me! Let's say gas is $5/gallon. And now most people are carpooling. On a passenger mile basis there would be more people going places even cheaper and faster. A 3% reduction of number of cars on the road corresponds to a 10% reduction in transit times. It is a nonlinear relationship.

What we have here in SF I noticed is a lot of very self-important people in such a rush to get to their fancy shmancy managerial meetings that you have 80,000 too important to share people sitting in traffic next to each other (sharing each inch of the street instead) and everyone is doing 6 mph average. But WAIT! that's after spending time ORDERING a ride (2min). waiting for the driver(4min). getting in the right car haha(1min)! funny times we live in. All said and done it took 27 minutes to complete two miles. It's almost negligible the 6 minutes of work it took these important people to make the $12 for the ride. Add that in though, we got 33 minutes to do two miles... Add in the tax dollars for the roads... the 5 AM trip to the gym to walk on the treadmill.

I digress, sorry Pseidon. I feel you, dude. We have quite a situation on our hands. I'm looking at this from a few angles pertaining to the health of the environment as a priority but also it not having to be at the expense of the individual. Automation is probably the biggest killer of jobs. Gas prices high or not. What I'm proposing is that we use the extra $0.10 per gallon per week (numbers are flexible. this is a loose, hypothetical model for conversation) to subsidize things other than killing the earth, and grandchildren and communities. Let's put that money into small businesses that offer actual solutions to the mess we have made instead of making a bunch of garbage. Like if you build furniture out of reclaimed wood, I'll distribute it with my pedicab. Goods and services may get more expensive if we continue to do just what we've done. I got a pedicab. Others do also. Have you looked at the crap we buy? Packaging that takes up 2/3 of a products volume due to selfish marketing? Imagine one eighteen wheel truck instead of three! I'm suggesting the highly advanced technological design of Pringles (r).

Part of the problem is that we've created cities in the dumbest way possible. I.E. Phoenix. Cheap gas can only bring you so far. Hundreds of Millions of people can be without water worldwide in only a few hours if infrastructure crumbles. Did you know that in all the supermarket in the USA we have such a "lean inventory" that there is only 3 day food supply? The prep people call this "nine meals from anarchy" That might be the flick I saw on you tube.. its like 45min. Peek it. MESSAAAAAAGEEEE!!!!! Cheap gas won't provide security. It's just a lube in a very delicate system. I'm saying it makes a lot more sense to take care of what little lube we have less, aggressively build sustainable alternatives and have a better quality of life in and after the process.

opposite how? i ask sincerely