Gas Prices!!

Brokendown

Jesus H! Gas prices are killing me! Something needs to be done- if only temporarily we are all taking a major hit right now. Maybe we could start a driver email campaign to the new CEO....raise prices to reflect recent gas hikes?

mattadams

Dude, gas used to be like $3+ a gallon... and uber rates weren't drastically lowered when it went down to $2.20 or so. Most I've seen around town are in the $2.40-2.50 range... is the extra 20-30 cents/gallon really killing you?

Smunson87

Yeah plus it's a holiday weekend. Also gas always goes up in towards winter and always goes down in the summer.

UberDez

Yesterday I screwed up on my fill up strategy and ended up having to fill up at $3.14 a gallon that's after a 5 cent discount . I have been paying around 91 is usually around $2.75 Denver I don't know why the Belmar area gas is so much more expensive . Ohh well I didn't fill up threw 8 gallons in and called it good for the day , today I'll go back to driving my Explorer which takes regular .
Gas is going to probably be going up more with the Hurricane . I'd expect Regular to hit over $3 for a bit , if you're driving a diesel the price of diesel is now lower then regular

We get spoiled in Denver with gas prices as ours are usually well below the national average .

We get spoiled in Denver with gas prices as ours are usually well below the national average .

Yeah you can hear me curse filling up a rental in California.

Anyway I go to Costco, filled up on 144th for about $2.20 a gallon. Usually they're between 5 and 20 cents cheaper. I live near downtown but usually wind up near one doing rides.

Last edited:

UberDez

Yeah you can hear me curse filling up a rental in California.

Anyway I go to Costco, filled up on 144th for about $2.20 a gallon. Usually they're between 5 and 20 cents cheaper. I live near downtown but usually wind up near one doing rides.

Yeah I've got a Shell Rewards card that gives me 10 cents off every other fill up and 5 cents off the rest , also memberships to costco and sams but the best gas saver is Kings and Safeway fuel rewards . I do a shit ton of Amazon Shopping so I buy gift cards when they're 4x points usually $200-$250 will give me a full buck off I then will run my Tank empty on my Explorer around 19 gallons and fill it and my 5 gallon just up so I save $24 . I don't always remember the jug but I try to . I have two Kings rewards cards that almost always have 20-50 cents minimum on them . I won't fill up my BMW at Kings and Safeway but the Audi and Ford are fine . Costoco and Sams gas quality is actually pretty solid

Frontier Guy

I tweeted both Uber and Lyft asking them what they planned to do to help drivers with gas prices spiking for the next few months, this was after gas jumped $.20 over night. Neither one responded. I think we know their answer. When regular hits $3.00 gal., I suspect a lot of drivers might park it for a few weeks. I know most trucking companies have already implemented an 18% FSC.

mattadams

I tweeted both Uber and Lyft asking them what they planned to do to help drivers with gas prices spiking for the next few months, this was after gas jumped $.20 over night. Neither one responded. I think we know their answer. When regular hits $3.00 gal., I suspect a lot of drivers might park it for a few weeks. I know most trucking companies have already implemented an 18% FSC.
So out of curiosity, what is your expectation of uber to do when gas prices go DOWN? Should they lower our rates to compensate? Or do you want to have your cake and eat it too. Gas prices fluctuate. They aren't going to adjust their rates every time, good grief! Our rates aren't tied to gas rates either... maybe if gas shot up like double, to like $4/gallon, and it was so expensive that all the ubers stopped driving, I imagine they'd adjust the rates accordingly. Until then, suck it up. The difference on my end over the weekend was probably about $6 more than I'd have paid a few weeks earlier for the same amount of gas, and that was with filling up about 2 1/2 times.
Prices fluctuate all the time, for all kinds of inputs. Starbucks won't change the cost of a cup of coffee every time their beans go up 1 cent.

Duber12

So out of curiosity, what is your expectation of uber to do when gas prices go DOWN? Should they lower our rates to compensate? Or do you want to have your cake and eat it too. Gas prices fluctuate. They aren't going to adjust their rates every time, good grief! Our rates aren't tied to gas rates either... maybe if gas shot up like double, to like $4/gallon, and it was so expensive that all the ubers stopped driving, I imagine they'd adjust the rates accordingly. Until then, suck it up. The difference on my end over the weekend was probably about $6 more than I'd have paid a few weeks earlier for the same amount of gas, and that was with filling up about 2 1/2 times.
Prices fluctuate all the time, for all kinds of inputs. Starbucks won't change the cost of a cup of coffee every time their beans go up 1 cent.
I don't expect Uber to raise prices due to rising gas prices however:

It’s becoming a summer ritual for Starbucks sbux : price hikes on many of its most popular drinks.

The café giant on Tuesday raised the price of some items as much as 30 cents as it contends with rising coffee costs.

UberDez

If gas goes up you could potential make more money as it's possible a lot of drivers would stop working which would in turn cause more surge and more rides . Just a thought , like Matt said as long as they have enough drivers willing to drive they won't change pricing . Adjust your driving style , work on getting fuel rewards or buy a diesel

Frontier Guy

There should already be a fuel surcharge in place, the cabs do it, every other transportation company on the planet implements a fuel surcharge of some sort when prices spike. When my father ran his pest control company, towards the end, gas was hitting $4.00/gallon, he had a 15% fuel surcharge. The guy who bought out his company when he retired, any time gas or diesel (since he has both types of trucks) exceeds $3.00/gal, he implements a fuel surcharge. The railroads and trucking companies typically run a FSC all the time, anywhere from 8% to 25% depending on the price of diesel.

MoneyMyths

There should already be a fuel surcharge in place, the cabs do it, every other transportation company on the planet implements a fuel surcharge of some sort when prices spike. ...

Absolutely agree. If Uber was paying for the gas you know there would be at least one surcharge for it. Since we are the ones paying, I doubt anything will change.

mattadams

well, as always if you don't like uber's policies, you are welcome to not work for them. More business for the rest of us. They aren't going to implement a fuel surcharge unless drivers stop working, and it seems with most markets being oversaturated as it is, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Your father added a surcharge because he was concerned about fuel costs cutting into his profit margin, which is completely understandable. Uber doesn't care about our profit margin unless it affects them.
FWIW, I've taken a lot of cabs over the years, even when gas was north of $3.50/gallon. I was never charged a "fuel surcharge", unless htey just work it into their rates.

Last edited:

UberDez

Matt is right people @@@@@ about stupid crap too much. People are losing their homes and someone is @@@@@ing that gas is 20 cents higher. Grow up

Archie Nelson

Matt is right people ***** about stupid crap too much. People are losing their homes and someone is *****ing that gas is 20 cents higher. Grow up

I agree but he uses the same line every single time someone complains. He is literally being a hypocrite. I think it's stupid to be whining a complain ing over the price of gas when it's not even $3.50 a gallon. I don't get it