Gas prices up/ Rates need to be up.

MaineMasai

I'm no longer averaging $20 an hour. Sometimes it's more like $13. With surge practically gone and gas prices up and going, Uber need to raise rates to at least $.30 a minute and $1.50 a mile. How can we achieve this?

MaineMasai

By quitting. Only if there is a shortage of drivers will rates rise. It's all about supply and demand.
I heard that most of the 8,000 drivers will be back on the road due to a relaxation of the legislation. Not sure quitting will help you.

john1975

Ok so let's run the numbers. Gas prices are up about .30-.40 per gallon. Let's even use .50. The average full time driver that probably does 120+ trips uses maybe 50-70 gallons of gas. Let's use 70 at .50 so that's a whopping 35 more per week. Or less than .30 per trip. With the average trip around 10 that's less than 3%. Impact on earnings. Let's relax a little folks. The increase in gas prices has little to no effect on earnings.

Tysmith95

I heard that most of the 8,000 drivers will be back on the road due to a relaxation of the legislation. Not sure quitting will help you.
CWOF drivers only. Others will still be deactivated, including the famous poster on here who kept complaining a few months back cause his licence was suspended a few years ago.

tohunt4me

Ok so let's run the numbers. Gas prices are up about .30-.40 per gallon. Let's even use .50. The average full time driver that probably does 120+ trips uses maybe 50-70 gallons of gas. Let's use 70 at .50 so that's a whopping 35 more per week. Or less than .30 per trip. With the average trip around 10 that's less than 3%. Impact on earnings. Let's relax a little folks. The increase in gas prices has little to no effect on earnings.
Uber has allowed NO ROOM FOR A 3% LOSS WITH THEIR CONSTANT RATE CUTS !
Thats 3% less food on my already Bare Table !

The Gift of Fish

Gas goes up by 15-20% and you are trying to make argument that this is no big deal. Imagine how excited everyone would be if rates went up by that %? Numbers never lie until they do
Gas expense for me used to average 8% of revenue. That means that the effect of an increase in gas expense is for me 12.5 times less important than a corresponding percentage increase in pay rates.

Gas has risen here by around 10%. So now my gas expense will be approximately 8.8% of revenue. Or, put another way, for every $100 Uber pays me, I spend an additional 80 cents on gas.

It's not a deal breaker in any way. Gas can go up by 10% or 20% but that does not mean you're earning 10% or 20% less. A little math goes a long way.

The Gift of Fish

In real terms, if you spent $200 on gas a week before now you at $ $220-240. Minimal? You decide
As I said, my gas expense was 8% of revenue. Using your example, if I spend $200 on gas then my revenue for the week would have been approximately $2,500. I would be left with after-gas takings of $2,260 - $2,280 instead of $2,300. Yeah, I'll decide that would be minimal.

Your example doesn't fit my circumstances, though, because I don't book $2,500 per week in revenue. In reality, my weekly revenue is around half that at $1200. My gas cost went up from $96 to $106; my after-gas revenue decreased from $1,104 to $1,094. Very minimal considering gas went up here by 10%.

Would I like to keep the extra 10 bucks per week for myself instead of paying it to the gas company? Sure, but it's not going to put me out of business.

Last edited: