• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

"Gaming" the system, especially Lyft

Isn't it true that passengers "game" the system every time they request a ride from you when you are over 15 minutes away? You are pretty much guaranteed to lose money on such a ride, and I've encountered riders who know it and will cancel the request if they have a short ride and the driver has a long one. They get it. Of course, most riders don't give a shit. And, with Uber, I don't either, and learned on here you can just accept and immediately cancel an Uber ride, and it doesn't count against you. I have a 95% accepatance rate with Uber, I'm not worried about deactiviation. But, with Lyft it's different, if you want your weekly bonus (the only way to make money with their piss poor charges for rides where I am) you have to have a 90% acceptance rating for the week, and if you accept and cancel it's a strike against you. If the same dumb ass rider requests you over and over again after you have cancelled, all the strikes count, and Lyft won't do anything about it. I just confirmed that with a string of emails. So, here's what I do, and I'm sure it's been mentioned before. Accept the ride, then just don't go there, and wait for the rider to cancel. Turn on the Uber app and accept a good Uber request. Don't answer the Lyft call or text, of course. And, here's another way to go about it. There's some nearby small towns in my area, and you'll often get requests to drive 18, 25, hell, last night I got 2 requests for over 45 minute arrival times! For those, accept and wait for rider to cancel. If it's the town nearby and I get a request and take it, and the rider takes a short ride, I rate them a 3, so Lyft will never pair me up with them again. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but it's the only way I see to "Game" Lyft and riders back for them trying to insist that it's always drivers always drivers who get the short end of the stick. Maybe when those riders see their options for drivers and their ratings shrink, they'll star to understand, you don't get to take advantage of drivers every time you want a ride.

Uber Kraus

That should work unless you get a ping that is 45 minutes away in which case the passenger might not even look at their phone again for another half hour

RamzFanz

Um, riders are accepting a service as offered, not in any way taking advantage of you. You are the one taking advantage of them for your gain by entering an agreement, accepting the ping, and not fulfilling your side.

Desert Driver

Isn't it true that passengers "game" the system every time they request a ride from you when you are over 15 minutes away? You are pretty much guaranteed to lose money on such a ride, and I've encountered riders who know it and will cancel the request if they have a short ride and the driver has a long one. They get it. Of course, most riders don't give a shit. And, with Uber, I don't either, and learned on here you can just accept and immediately cancel an Uber ride, and it doesn't count against you. I have a 95% accepatance rate with Uber, I'm not worried about deactiviation. But, with Lyft it's different, if you want your weekly bonus (the only way to make money with their piss poor charges for rides where I am) you have to have a 90% acceptance rating for the week, and if you accept and cancel it's a strike against you. If the same dumb ass rider requests you over and over again after you have cancelled, all the strikes count, and Lyft won't do anything about it. I just confirmed that with a string of emails. So, here's what I do, and I'm sure it's been mentioned before. Accept the ride, then just don't go there, and wait for the rider to cancel. Turn on the Uber app and accept a good Uber request. Don't answer the Lyft call or text, of course. And, here's another way to go about it. There's some nearby small towns in my area, and you'll often get requests to drive 18, 25, hell, last night I got 2 requests for over 45 minute arrival times! For those, accept and wait for rider to cancel. If it's the town nearby and I get a request and take it, and the rider takes a short ride, I rate them a 3, so Lyft will never pair me up with them again. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but it's the only way I see to "Game" Lyft and riders back for them trying to insist that it's always drivers always drivers who get the short end of the stick. Maybe when those riders see their options for drivers and their ratings shrink, they'll star to understand, you don't get to take advantage of drivers every time you want a ride.
Beautiful! I am so glad others are gaining the necessary experience and are becoming resourceful like you. The sad truth is that the only way to make money on U/L is figuring out how and where to game the system to your advantage. Good on ya, Quintessence! The malnourished coyote tips his hat to you.

RamzFanz

I think your avatar says it all. Good luck with that
I assumed nothing less than a personal attack would be the response after the OP was not being honest.

You don't disappoint.

The rider is pressing a button and paying what is asked for a service they have probably never even considered in a cost or profit manner. Do you consider what it costs to make a $5 pizza or just gladly pay $5? They are not taking advantage of anyone. If you assclowns accept a ping and then stiffs the rider, you are the ones taking advantage. You are screwing over a person who has met their obligation in a mutual agreement because you don't like the agreement you made.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Beautiful! I am so glad others are gaining the necessary experience and are becoming resourceful like you. The sad truth is that the only way to make money on U/L is figuring out how and where to game the system to your advantage. Good on ya, Quintessence! The malnourished coyote tips his hat to you.
People who screw over other people aren't "gaming the system", they are screwing over other people for their own benefit. A driver who hoses passengers is no better than Uber. Different sides of the same coin.

Uber Kraus

I assumed nothing less than a personal attack would be the response after the OP was not being honest.

You don't disappoint.

The rider is pressing a button and paying what is asked for a service they have probably never even considered in a cost or profit manner. Do you consider what it costs to make a $5 pizza or just gladly pay $5? They are not taking advantage of anyone. If you assclowns accept a ping and then stiffs the rider, you are the ones taking advantage. You are screwing over a person who has met their obligation in a mutual agreement because you don't like the agreement you made.
I do in fact consider what goes into a $5 pizza and that's why I don't buy crappy pizza. You're so smart "Moron". Thanks for coming in and trolling the site.

RamzFanz

I do in fact consider what goes into a $5 pizza and that's why I don't buy crappy pizza. You're so smart "Moron". Thanks for coming in and trolling the site.
So you consider whether it's profitable for the company and refuse to pay less?

BostonBarry

Most passengers have no idea we make nothing for the ride over to pick them up. If you're constantly rating 3 stars and avoiding pings by accepting and not going then you're just reducing your customer base and making it more difficult to earn. While I wouldn't take any request much over 20 minutes, I do call the long ones and let them know my actual ETA and whether they can wait that long. Also casually mention that I've drove far before only to have passenger no-show or cancel and me losing money because I don't get paid on way there. Half the time passenger chooses to cancel and try for a closer driver, the other half a good portion of them tip me well for being willing to come that far off the meter.

Obviously any driver is able to make their own decisions regarding how they handle their end of their businesss. I just think your approach is one that is hurting you and creating more dissatisfied riders resulting in less business. Half the reason I started taking rideshares over my local taxi was because I would schedule a pickup and the cab wouldn't show on time. How is this any different?

phillipzx3

You don't disappoint.

And they're behaving as bad ( actually worse) than the cabs they claim superiority of.

Uberwagoner

My experience indicates that most drives over 20 minutes in my area of DFW will cancel within 15 to 30 seconds or the length of time for me to load my Google Maps to obtain the fastest route. Given that situation I often am less inclined to drive to those requests unless there is a destination listed so I know that the ride has sufficient compensation to offset my operating costs.

There are a few riders who regularly request then cancel before I can even get my map up, so for those riders I make no effort to drive to them. They are also on the far edge of the DFW coverage area so I presume they have an odd expectation that there will be a driver 5 minutes or less from them anytime day or night. I have no regular demand from those areas so I do not position myself there.

If they are serious about a ride request they will have a destination entered as well as not making a habit of request-cancel.