• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Gamification of Work: Guardian Article on Gig Economy

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Not news, but still worth discussing in terms of all the ratings threads, and manipulation from Uber/Lyft in this regard.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/20/high-score-low-pay-gamification-lyft-uber-drivers-ride-hailing-gig-economy

"Simply defined, gamification is the use of game elements – point-scoring, levels, competition with others, measurable evidence of accomplishment, ratings and rules of play – in non-game contexts. Games deliver an instantaneous, visceral experience of success and reward, and they are increasingly used in the workplace to promote emotional engagement with the work process, to increase workers’ psychological investment in completing otherwise uninspiring tasks, and to influence, or “nudge”, workers’ behaviour."

Reactions: i_k

NORMY

99/100 driver do not know what the hell is GAMIFICATION including me. This not university pffft
Just tell us what you put on your shawarma

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
99/100 driver do not know what the hell is GAMIFICATION including me. This not university
This is the part of your day, where you learn something! Embrace it.
(It's hardly university here, we're talking The Guardian. Sheesh.)

One Star

Boo! Sorry, I posted the same link in the ratings forum just a short while ago.
I did a search before posting but maybe misspelled. Anyway feel free to delete that one if you like. My Bad!

Yam Digger

Not news, but still worth discussing in terms of all the ratings threads, and manipulation from Uber/Lyft in this regard.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/20/high-score-low-pay-gamification-lyft-uber-drivers-ride-hailing-gig-economy

"Simply defined, gamification is the use of game elements – point-scoring, levels, competition with others, measurable evidence of accomplishment, ratings and rules of play – in non-game contexts. Games deliver an instantaneous, visceral experience of success and reward, and they are increasingly used in the workplace to promote emotional engagement with the work process, to increase workers’ psychological investment in completing otherwise uninspiring tasks, and to influence, or “nudge”, workers’ behaviour."
(yawn)

Gone_in_60_seconds

99/100 driver do not know what the hell is GAMIFICATION including me. This not university pffft
Just tell us what you put on your shawarma
Glad that your not reading any peer reviewed scientific journal, like Science. The article was definitely written at grade 11-12 level. I would say the jargon / vocabulary and syntax were probably at the level of what is written in the Globe and Mail or a magazine like "the economist".

Ashoor

Not surprised Uber is using gamification to make this gig more attractive to drivers and keep them coming for more. I remember reading an article in 2009 in Mashable.com about this concept and how websites, apps and other online properties would start to adopt this more often in the future as it ensures people stay loyal and come back for more.

Gone_in_60_seconds

And BTW, i don't fall for any of Lyft's games. Those ride challenges do NOT entice me to drive for them exclusively, to hit their target and be given another $1.70 bonus per ride. The only metric that matter is either how much I make per hour, when driving within the GTA. Or if it is within the downtown core, how much I make per km, taking into traffic conditions which are an earnings killer. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i_k

The reason I never get any promotions is because I don’t work for Uber, I make Uber work for me. If they ever give me promos I’ll ignore them. An algorithm will never manipulate me..

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The reason I never get any promotions is because I don’t work for Uber, I make Uber work for me. If they ever give me promos I’ll ignore them. An algorithm will never manipulate me..
Well, less than most, anyway...

i_k

Well, less than most, anyway...
Some may work out, and in the short term that’s a positive but by then you’re hooked, and then there’s no turning back without grimacing and scratching.

The sacrifices we make benefits them more than us, individually. They always win, but individual greed is a mutha..

dmoney155

Here is another interesting article on the lure of incentives, and other gamification tactics inside various GIG ECONOMY algoritms:

YES! for me it's more about beating the high score (where score is the money!)... the ratings I couldn't care less... wish you could convert those to money.

Yam Digger

The writer could have replaced Postmates with UberEATS and there would have no difference.

“I attended two of the best universities in North America, graduated with honors, and had access to both Canadian and U.S. job markets as a dual citizen. The answer is simple: I couldn’t compete with H-1B visa workers and the tech world’s outsourcing trend.”

And this is why I thoroughly discourage any young person contemplating a career from going into IT.