GA DOL

goobered

GA DOL finally got in touch with me, out of the blue, almost 2 months after I filed my claim. I was totally caught off guard and unprepared for this harried, abrupt conversation. It went a little something like this.

DOL: Did a doctor tell you to stop working?
Me: No.
DOL: When do you think you will go back to working for Uber?
Me: I don't know. I don't feel safe doing that right now due to my lung issues.
DOL: How long have you had those conditions?
Me: I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago.
DOL: Did you inform Uber that you stopped working?
Me: Yes (????)
DOL: Did Uber send a notice out to their employees stating what the process is for stopping work or returning to work?
Me: Um, I'm not an employee. I'm an independent contractor.
DOL: I understand that, but you work for them. Who pays you?
Me: Uber.
DOL: Did Uber send you something saying when you can return to work?
Me: (???) No, I'm an independent contractor so I can either work or not work.
DOL: Okay I'm going to have to reach out to Uber for that information. I will need you to send me your last pay stub from them. I'm not even sure if your earnings will be enough to qualify.

The call ended abrubtly shortly after that. No request was made for pay statements from Doordash or Grubhub, even though I also worked for them during the same period. But I sent those too, along with the disclaimer that none of my earnings from the last week I worked represented my usual or average earnings, since business was way down.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

Invisible

That’s messed up. Did you apply under the PUA and not regular unemployment?

You should be able to prove to unemployment it is not safe to be in an enclosed space wi a stranger (see link below). And you can’t social distance in your car.

I’m still waiting to hear from unemployment as are many in my state. Yet I’ve heard other drivers in various states getting PUA. Good luck!

goobered

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s messed up. Did you apply under the PUA and not regular unemployment?

You should be able to prove to unemployment it is not safe to be in an enclosed space wi a stranger (see link below). And you can’t social distance in your car.

I’m still waiting to hear from unemployment as are many in my state. Yet I’ve heard other drivers in various states getting PUA. Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too! I only do Eats, not X, but still. I have asthma and COPD. In addition to that I am extremely sensitive to chemicals and fragrances, which are in abundance now with disinfectants being used everywhere. I really shouldn't be out there working.

I applied under regular, before they set up the separate application process for PUA. I think I should probably qualify for regular state benefits too, but I'm not sure how they will handle that.

I saw someone on the GA reddit saying they had to file separate claims for both PUA and regular, just to get the wheels turning, because the system is not coordinating properly between the two.

I just wanted to give a heads up that I got the call and how it went, because I was very caught off guard, which I guess is how they like to do it. As in the past it just felt like a barrage of questions...I will have to refrain now from saying anymore about the GA DOL as it might get me in trouble.

I did get SNAP in a more timely manner so at least there's that.

The delivery business was really dead here the last few weeks before I stopped. Even if I was still working, I should still qualify on acount of reduced earnings.

Invisible

Good thing you got SNAP to help. It’s probably why they asked those questions because you first applied under reg unemployment. Hopefully your PUA will get approved

From all I read here and elsewhere, drivers got denied under regular but got PUA. Your health conditions put you at higher risk for complications, so take care of yourself.

Last edited: