Further evidence of ATO witch hunt

fields

I have said for some time there is an ATO witch hunt going on against Uber and Uber drivers. Its on a scale never seen before in Australia, with a number of bizarre ATO rulings.

People who make money out of driving for popular online meal ordering and delivery platforms such as UberEATS and Deliveroo will not have to register for and pay GST, unlike their counterparts at Uber, if they fall under the GST threshold.

And while UberEATS charges a service fee for each delivery to the cafe or restaurant it collects food from, it doesn't have to pay tax on that service fee.

Take note especially of the last sentence and compare it to how the ATO views the UberX service fee, it views this as income for drivers. All of a sudden this

Then there is the GST threshold which for some inexplicable reason does not apply to taxi drivers. I do agree the way I am driving for Uber, you could indeed classify me as a taxi driver for GST purposes. Those drivers who do Uber commute, to and from work or where ever they may be going using the destination feature, are most definitely NOT taxi drivers. Yet the ATO still wants these people to pay GST.

Where to Mister?

That’s hardly reason to believe there’s a witch hunt on Uber Drivers. The GST ruling for taxi drivers has been there for many years, and pre-dates Uber’s arrival in Australia.
UberEATS is a delivery service, not a taxi service, so it’s understandable that different rules apply.
Uber doesn’t have to pay tax on the service delivery fee because the restaurant pays it (in much the same way that Uber rideshare drivers pay the tax on their Uber fee).
There is no such business as “Uber Commute”. Rideshare is rideshare.

Who is John Galt?

In keeping with Rudi Zarzoff 's post and my promise , I would like to thank you so much for the opportunity, fields. :smiles::smiles:

Without question, this is another visit to Groundhog Day.:smiles:
And so, here is another picture of the gorgeous Andie.

andie macdowell 03 resized to 550.jpg

huxtee

I have said for some time there is an ATO witch hunt going on against Uber and Uber drivers. Its on a scale never seen before in Australia, with a number of bizarre ATO rulings.

People who make money out of driving for popular online meal ordering and delivery platforms such as UberEATS and Deliveroo will not have to register for and pay GST, unlike their counterparts at Uber, if they fall under the GST threshold.

And while UberEATS charges a service fee for each delivery to the cafe or restaurant it collects food from, it doesn't have to pay tax on that service fee.

Take note especially of the last sentence and compare it to how the ATO views the UberX service fee, it views this as income for drivers. All of a sudden this

Then there is the GST threshold which for some inexplicable reason does not apply to taxi drivers. I do agree the way I am driving for Uber, you could indeed classify me as a taxi driver for GST purposes. Those drivers who do Uber commute, to and from work or where ever they may be going using the destination feature, are most definitely NOT taxi drivers. Yet the ATO still wants these people to pay GST.

ATO hunts us because we're an easy target, a low hanging fruit. All our transactions are electronic and given by Uber to the ATO, so a simple data matching program can automatically audit us all.

Once we move to a cashless economy (with cryto currencies and bartering banned) the ATO should be able to hunt us all more fairly.

Also our political elites have promised to tax multinationals making profit here:

"...The Diverted Profits Tax (DPT) / Google Tax laws are aimed at multinationals with global revenue of more than $1 billion and Australian revenue of greater than $25 million. They will be hit with a 40 per cent tax on all profits - that is 10 per cent higher than the 30 per cent company tax rate..."

fields

That’s hardly reason to believe there’s a witch hunt on Uber Drivers. The GST ruling for taxi drivers has been there for many years, and pre-dates Uber’s arrival in Australia.
UberEATS is a delivery service, not a taxi service, so it’s understandable that different rules apply.
Uber doesn’t have to pay tax on the service delivery fee because the restaurant pays it (in much the same way that Uber rideshare drivers pay the tax on their Uber fee).
There is no such business as “Uber Commute”. Rideshare is rideshare.

I always have difficulty understanding people who argue against their own self interest.

The reason we have to pay GST on the Uber service fee is because the ATO in its wisdom decided the Uber service fee is part of the fare. But lo and behold when it comes to food, the Uber service fee is suddenly completely separate. It the ATO treated food and X in the same manner, the restaurants using Uber, Deliveroo, Foodora would have to pay GST on the Uber service fee.

Why the difference? I say its because for decades the ATO has been trying to get taxi drivers to pay even something remotely resembling their fair share of tax. The ATO completely failed and some bright sparks at the ATO have gone completely overboard in ensuring UberX drivers pay their share of tax and then some.

Dr. Pax

Those drivers who do Uber commute, to and from work or where ever they may be going using the destination feature, are most definitely NOT taxi drivers. Yet the ATO still wants these people to pay GST.
Thank you fields for fighting for my best interests. You're a legend! :smiles:

"...The Diverted Profits Tax (DPT) / Google Tax laws are aimed at multinationals with global revenue of more than $1 billion and Australian revenue of greater than $25 million. They will be hit with a 40 per cent tax on all profits - that is 10 per cent higher than the 30 per cent company tax rate..."
Wow, what a load of crap! :eek:
We'll have fun in Australia when Google, Uber, Amazon, etc. decide to leave Australia altogether because of this anti-competition bullsh*t.
Yes, they should pay their taxes, just like their competitors (should) do, but 10% extra? That looks like a penalty to me... :rolleyes:

Mojo210516

[QUOTE="Once we move to a cashless economy (with cryto currencies and bartering banned) the ATO should be able to hunt us all more fairly"[/QUOTE]

Does that mean i will no longer be paid in bitcoin?

UberDriverAU

The reason we have to pay GST on the Uber service fee is because the ATO in its wisdom decided the Uber service fee is part of the fare.
As of the 1st of July 2017 I can claim a GST credit for all of Uber's fees because of the "Netflix Tax" amendments to the GST laws. If Uber doesn't want to pay the GST on their fees, that's a matter for the ATO to sort out directly with Uber.
Yes, they should pay their taxes, just like their competitors (should) do, but 10% extra? That looks like a penalty to me... :rolleyes:
A penalty is exactly what it is. It's an incentive to be honest and declare their Australian income upfront rather than try to "divert it" and hope the ATO won't find out.

Max Arnold

What pisses me off is that taxi drivers are able to hide most of their income and we can't, yet they still consider us the same as them.

Mate, Taxi drivers can hide it, as they get cash.
Don't see why you are pissed of with the ATO.
It is because of this loophole they had to bring in the 10% GST on the very first $ you make.
Get pissed with the Taxi drivers, because if they did not try an hide they cash income, they would not have to pay GST until they have $75,000 in sales like all other businesses.

Mate, Taxi drivers can hide it, as they get cash.
Don't see why you are pissed of with the ATO.
It is because of this loophole they had to bring in the 10% GST on the very first $ you make.
Get pissed with the Taxi drivers, because if they did not try an hide they cash income, they would not have to pay GST until they have $75,000 in sales like all other businesses.

Thats not our fault. Maybe if the government planned it a little better we all wouldn't be in this mess.

Uber isn't a full time gig for me, so im not hurting as much as alot of others but i still have sympathy for the full timers that work 80+ hour weeks to make $2000+ only to end up losing close to half of it.