1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Full time driver - brake pads lasted only 10k miles?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by werty, Oct 10, 2017.

1. werty

werty Active Member

The brake pads for a full time driver I know only lasted 10k miles. Almost all of it is city driving. Abnormal wear or expected?

I don't know the specific pads but I assume he didn't use crappy pads. I can ask him if needed.

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. Tysmith95

Tysmith95 Well-Known Member

Abnormal wear. Even with city driving they should last longer then that.

tohunt4me likes this.
  3. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Abnormal !
    Im going on 70,000 miles on mine.
    The front ones( 4 wheel disc) are starting to get to the monitoring level.

4. UberDezNutz

UberDezNutz Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Really abnormal , I still was in spec at 70k miles of rideshare driving
    Or this person has no clue how to drive

tohunt4me likes this.
  5. werty

werty Active Member

All of you are full time city drivers? 70k seems really high for heavy city driving.

I've searched around and seen that 10k is normal for lots of sustained city driving, but I wanted real-world examples.

tohunt4me likes this.

6. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

10 k is changing brakes every month driving uber

7. UberDezNutz

UberDezNutz Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Who's driving 10k a month on Uber??
    I typically drive just around 1,000 miles a week around 35-45 hours and net (after tolls, gas and uber/lyft fees) around $1200 . If I drove 10k miles a month I'd be bringing in over $10k a month net . Taking a quick look at my spreadsheet and only twice have I drove over 1500 miles in a week and both those weeks I made $2k

werty and tohunt4me like this.
  8. Doowop

Doowop Well-Known Member

Look for uneven wear on pads: extensive wear on inside pad and minimum wear on outer pad. If so, probably caliper needs replacing.

observer likes this.
  9. R James

R James Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    At 60K I figured I needed new brake pads and so I changed them, only to find they (the Honda originals) still had MORE THAN HALF left! Not sure how long the replacements will last but even cheapies being driven in the city should go way longer than 10K!

10. observer

observer Moderator Moderator

Your friend may want to have his brakes checked by a good mechanic. As DoowopDoowop mentioned, could be a caliper sticking. In my case, I had a bad master cylinder that caused me to brake with ONLY the front brakes.

11. Spotscat

Spotscat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Front or rear pads?

If the mechanic used some off-brand brake pads, or a counterfeit third-world knockoff, and they were on the front, I could see them lasting only 10,000 miles. It is by no means "normal", but under the right circumstances...

12. observer

observer Moderator Moderator

Unless you are at a dealer, 90% (more or less) of brake pads sold are off brand.

13. PrestonT

PrestonT Well-Known Member

There is no worse driving for brake pads than on the Las Vegas Strip during night time. My original pads lasted 20K miles. I can't imagine circumstances where they only last 10K, unless one does rally racing when not Ubering.

14. jspec

jspec Member

Driving:
    UberX
    sounds like the sub $20 autozone pads, mine didnt make it to 20k. Im also a late braker. Ive changed brakes and tires twice in 12 months. Never purchase chinese made tires (most of you probably already knew that).

15. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    For most cars, I would suspect that ten thousand miles is too fast a wear out for the brake pads. The brake pads on some cars will wear faster than others. This can happen even in the same models of cars in different years. Sometimes it is poor design, sometimes it is the vehicle itself that simply is not well suited to this type of work.

If it is not a mechanical problem such as sticking calipers, warped rotors, scored rotors or something like that, it may be that the pads are too small.

I did not drive a cab full time for long, but when I did, the pads used to last about thirty thousand miles. This was on the larger Chryslers in the Capital of Your Nation. The cars had front disc and back drum brakes.