FSCO Posts Page Dedicated to RideShare

UberZF

Ridesharing and auto insurance in Ontario

That's the (clickable) title of the new page posted by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario
  • It covers the new UBER insurance
  • It talks about Other Ridesharing platforms
  • The fact you need to inform your Personal Insurer
  • Lists important info for Drivers & Passengers
  • and more.
It does confirm that the Electronic copy of the "Pink Slip" is valid.
And some info on what to do in case of an accident (As Driver, Passenger & 3rd party).

There is also a related posting from Ministry of Finance:
Ontario Modernizing Auto Insurance System to Protect Ride-Sharing Consumers

And of course, the actual change in regulations that allowed UBER to get the type of Insurance it did required updating of the definition for "Fleet":

O. Reg. 252/16: AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE

1. The definition of “fleet” in section 1 of Regulation 664 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is revoked and the following substituted:

fleet” means a group of not fewer than five automobiles that meets the following requirements:

1. At least five of the automobiles in the group are commercial vehicles, public vehicles or vehicles used for business purposes.

2. The automobiles in the group are,

i. under common ownership or management, and any automobiles in the group that are subject to a lease agreement for a period in excess of 30 days are leased to the same insured person, or

ii. available for hire through a common online-enabled application or system for the pre-arrangement of transportation, and insured under a contract of automobile insurance in which the automobile owner or lessee, as the case may be, has coverage as an insured named in the contract; (“parc automobile”)

Last edited:

uber fool

Ridesharing and auto insurance in Ontario

That's the (clickable) title of the new page posted by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario
  • It covers the new UBER insurance
  • It talks about Other Ridesharing platforms
  • The fact you need to inform your Personal Insurer
  • Lists important info for Drivers & Passengers
  • and more.
It does confirm that the Electronic copy of the "Pink Slip" is valid.
And some info on what to do in case of an accident (As Driver, Passenger & 3rd party).

There is also a related posting from Ministry of Finance:
Ontario Modernizing Auto Insurance System to Protect Ride-Sharing Consumers

And of course, the actual change in regulations that allowed UBER to get the type of Insurance it did required updating of the definition for "Fleet":

O. Reg. 252/16: AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE

1. The definition of “fleet” in section 1 of Regulation 664 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is revoked and the following substituted:

fleet” means a group of not fewer than five automobiles that meets the following requirements:

1. At least five of the automobiles in the group are commercial vehicles, public vehicles or vehicles used for business purposes.

2. The automobiles in the group are,

i. under common ownership or management, and any automobiles in the group that are subject to a lease agreement for a period in excess of 30 days are leased to the same insured person, or

ii. available for hire through a common online-enabled application or system for the pre-arrangement of transportation, and insured under a contract of automobile insurance in which the automobile owner or lessee, as the case may be, has coverage as an insured named in the contract; (“parc automobile”)
Thanks good post

UberZF

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for posting. Any idea if my current insurance company can still cancel me for disclosing that i drive for Uber?
Slight chance, still, but They shouldnt .. now that you have full coverage while on the app...

jimmy07

All other companies can still void your coverage only intact, aviva belairdirect, one more company of intact i dont know name it subdizer of intact will not void ur coverage. Best advice is call them with no caller id and ask them

KHITAM

I'm with Intact..
According to Uber, I have to inform my insurer that I drive with Uber..

What I have to answer them when they will asked me: Since when you drive with Uber??

What will be their reaction, if they know that I'm Ubering since September 2014??

Do you think that Uber will inform them about my driving activities??

Thank you in advance for your replies..

Karem

I'm with Intact..
According to Uber, I have to inform my insurer that I drive with Uber..

What I have to answer them when they will asked me: Since when you drive with Uber??

What will be their reaction, if they know that I'm Ubering since September 2014??

Do you think that Uber will inform them about my driving activities??

Thank you in advance for your replies..
Man just tell them you will start ubering next week

All insurance companies have an exclusion prohibiting carrying passengers for compensation. Intact recently changed their wordings to allow carrying passengers for compensation and Aviva has the endorsement. I recommend getting a policy with Intact and avoid any issues with your current carrier. Check out www.ridesharingcarinsurance.ca/ for a quote

Sorry I have copied and pasted this same message on a few different threads. We have been in contact with various insurance companies and so far none have adapted Intact's approach by changing their wordings on carrying passengers for compensation. Be careful do not get in a situation that can jeopardize your coverage