Frustrated with Uber’s ‘Compensation of Time’ during rides w/ traffic

AdamS.UBER17

I’m writing to publicize my frustrations with Uber’s ‘Trip Fare Equation’ (TFE) that I believe does not fairly adjust for traffic time during rides.

TFE follows an equation with a very low & static ‘cost per minute’ that I say does NOT appropriately compensate for shorter rides with LOTS of traffic.

To recall, TFE is Base Fare + ((Cost per minute x time of the ride) + (cost per mile x ride distance) x surge boost multiplier) + booking fee = Passengers Ride Fare

The cost per minute varies based on city but they are so minimal it does not holistically affect the overall pay to the driver in time spent in slow traffic based rides.

Here in Toronto, I believe it’s 15 cents for the static cost per minute while it’s about 75 cents for distance travelled per kilometre.

Since fee generation emphasis is on kilometres driven, ‘Rides with High Traffic’ yield very low earnings. As an example, I’ve had numerous 35 minute rides : those with no traffic and long distance earn $22+ && 35 minute rides with shorter distance but spent much in high traffic to yield $11.

What are your thoughts on Uber’s static cost per minute fee and it’s effect on high traffic rides? I will be emailing Uber’s head office but unless drivers collectively voice their opinions, possibility of change is futile.

Post Note :: Example attached, rides was quoted $11-12 for a 12.5KM trip that took 38 minutes. It was a pool so $7 from another trip.

Attachments

RideshareDog

I’m writing to publicize my frustrations with Uber’s ‘Trip Fare Equation’ (TFE) that I believe does not fairly adjust for traffic time during rides.

TFE follows an equation with a very low & static ‘cost per minute’ that I say does NOT appropriately compensate for shorter rides with LOTS of traffic.

To recall, TFE is Base Fare + ((Cost per minute x time of the ride) + (cost per mile x ride distance) x surge boost multiplier) + booking fee = Passengers Ride Fare

The cost per minute varies based on city but they are so minimal it does not holistically affect the overall pay to the driver in time spent in slow traffic based rides.

Here in Toronto, I believe it’s 15 cents for the static cost per minute while it’s about 75 cents for distance travelled per kilometre.

Since fee generation emphasis is on kilometres driven, ‘Rides with High Traffic’ yield very low earnings. As an example, I’ve had numerous 35 minute rides : those with no traffic and long distance earn $22+ && 35 minute rides with shorter distance but spent much in high traffic to yield $11.

What are your thoughts on Uber’s static cost per minute fee and it’s effect on high traffic rides? I will be emailing Uber’s head office but unless drivers collectively voice their opinions, possibility of change is futile.

Post Note :: Example attached, rides was quoted $11-12 for a 12.5KM trip that took 38 minutes. It was a pool so $7 from another trip.
Your not new so why are you using a static rate card? uber doesn't have a rate card for its drivers in toronto. I cant believe i have to tell a user whose been on this site since 2016 *shakes head*. The reality with uber is that its actually worse than having a low per min charge to the pax. its that you get a percentage of that per min which means your not actually being paid for being stuck in traffic. you get paid what uber thinks it will take you to get to point b and if its more well then tough shit.
this is where you do make more money on lyft since it is actually a metered rate. again i cant believe i have to explain this

Gone_in_60_seconds

Had a really bad trip on Uber-X once on a weekday morning. 4 km trip that took 25 minutes due to traffic on Adelaide resulted in a measly $7.00. Yeah, I was pretty pissed off.

Gone_in_60_seconds

Your not new so why are you using a static rate card? uber doesn't have a rate card for its drivers in toronto. I cant believe i have to tell a user whose been on this site since 2016 *shakes head*. The reality with uber is that its actually worse than having a low per min charge to the pax. its that you get a percentage of that per min which means your not actually being paid for being stuck in traffic. you get paid what uber thinks it will take you to get to point b and if its more well then tough shit.
this is where you do make more money on lyft since it is actually a metered rate. again i cant believe i have to explain this
I thought Metered trips on Lyft only occur when a stop is added? Otherwise aren't the pax quoted upfront pricing too?

Weekend Warrior

This isn't completely accurate. I had a 35 minute ride yesterday that was estimated at 15 minutes. The fare that I was paid was based on the 35 minutes that the pax was in the car.

RideshareDog

I thought Metered trips on Lyft only occur when a stop is added? Otherwise aren't the pax quoted upfront pricing too?
i really thought we properly explained how lyft works. the driver always gets paid a metered rate on lyft. the metered rate is 25% of the pax metered rate. the stop only affects the passenger not the driver. it becomes a metered rate for the pax rather than the upfront price

i dont understand why you thought that we talked about this extensively on here
Post automatically merged:

This isn't completely accurate. I had a 35 minute ride yesterday that was estimated at 15 minutes. The fare that I was paid was based on the 35 minutes that the pax was in the car.
they probably had a stop or changed the destination

also how do you know it was estimated at 15min?

AdamS.UBER17

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for clarifying; I believed riders were ‘Quoted a Fare’ but ‘True Fare’ was based on dynamic wait times and alternative travel distances. Now I know, ‘Driver Fare Compensation’ is worse, as it’s not metered and merely a pre-determined fare calculation. I plan to reduce driving gradually and quit Rideshare altogether by next year, otherwise would consider signing up for Lyft.

RideshareDog

Thank you for clarifying; I believed riders were ‘Quoted a Fare’ but ‘True Fare’ was based on dynamic wait times and alternative travel distances. Now I know, ‘Driver Fare Compensation’ is worse, as it’s not metered and merely a pre-determined fare calculation. I plan to reduce driving gradually and quit Rideshare altogether by next year, otherwise would consider signing up for Lyft.
I wouldn't there is less demand on there. I want to quit too. I can't handle this slowness.

AdamS.UBER17

Driving in traffic sucks. What change would you suggest?
I would suggest metered rates and higher compensation for cost of time per minute.

All that said, even if there are some changes, I don’t think the earning potential will drastically alter for the benefit of the driver.

After years of driving Uber and performing assessments on time-income ratio after expenses, the average is closer to minimum wage rather than the advertised $20+ hour. Apart from few exceptions and drivers who maximize earnings from established profitable driving patterns, generally, the ‘Ride Share’ domain is not a professional long-term sustainable option for most.

I’ll be writing a PSA soon to publicize and alert oblivious drivers about my experience, assessment, and advice on exit strategies with options for moving forward.

Last edited:

AdamS.UBER17

Stop taking pool/shared rides.
I do agree UberPool isn’t efficient in most cases but I’ve had some pretty good rides. In my experience, the key to increasing earnings in a Pool is continuous Rider Adds and long trips. Several pools with this format have yielded high earnings resulting in shifts of $30+/hour gross.

However, no doubt, pool in most cases (short trips, 1 rider, traffic etc) are the worst for drivers.

Underground

I do agree UberPool isn’t efficient in most cases but I’ve had some pretty good rides. In my experience, the key to increasing earnings in a Pool is continuous Rider Adds and long trips. Several pools with this format have yielded high earnings resulting in shifts of $30+/hour gross.

However, no doubt, pool in most cases (short trips, 1 rider, traffic etc) are the worst for drivers.
I have taken few pool rides with 40+ long ride notification hoping additional riders will be added! But most of the cases it's a waste of time! I wrote to uber and they mentioned they dont go by rate card for pool rides!

evad77

I had a pool wed morning 2am from viscount lot at pearson,left got ping as I was leaving,got second rider at same spot,while gent putting in his suitcase,third ping from lady coming down the stairs,one to leslie/7 second to woodbine/major mack 3rd to 9th/14th $140 for my cut for 53 min total,pool works at certain times when theres no traffic

AdamS.UBER17

I have taken few pool rides with 40+ long ride notification hoping additional riders will be added! But most of the cases it's a waste of time! I wrote to uber and they mentioned they dont go by rate card for pool rides!
I’ve been in this situation before; I’m assuming this ‘long trip’ routed you via highway? For long rides, I ask riders if they’re ok taking the road for a bit before joining the highway to ‘add new riders’ so it shares the fare, to which they usually agree.

I had a long-trip pool not long ago 3 riders consecutively for 1.5hr earned around $95. Last week, had 2-riders consecutively long pools 1Hr trip, earned $66 (img. attached).

I had a pool wed morning 2am from viscount lot at pearson,left got ping as I was leaving,got second rider at same spot,while gent putting in his suitcase,third ping from lady coming down the stairs,one to leslie/7 second to woodbine/major mack 3rd to 9th/14th $140 for my cut for 53 min total,pool works at certain times when theres no traffic
There you go, great example. The most I’ve received was $140 + $30 tip 2.5hrs among 4 long pool trips.

Key words for pool efficacy ::
Long Trips - No Traffic - Consecutive Riders

Btw, to make it clear to oblivious drivers or those perusing UP to see Uber driver earnings, these are uncommon and not the average!

Attachments

Last edited:

evad77

no traffic is the reason I only take pool from 2-5am after that not worth the hassle of paxholes going to work

Ahmado

We don't need more pay per minutes
Just charge any trip north Toronto double anytime

Cabbies were right after all for charging all north trips the double

East york just remove them from the app, they got streetcar in every single street

Speedy_Gonzales

To be honest, I believe Uber is fairly compensating the driver pool that exists in Toronto. If anything, a rate cut is in order to fully depict what the drivers are worth, at the moment, Uber drivers are overpaid. Rates should be as follows:

41 cents per KM
7 cents per minute
50 cents booking fee

Ahmado

To be honest, I believe Uber is fairly compensating the driver pool that exists in Toronto. If anything, a rate cut is in order to fully depict what the drivers are worth, at the moment, Uber drivers are overpaid. Rates should be as follows:

41 cents per KM
7 cents per minute
50 cents booking fee
Good rates as long no more Tesla or luxury cars driving for Uber