[From a user] Are drivers compensated when companies run promos?

JennyKat

I've been using recent Rideshare promotions (Fasten's 7-11 and Lyft's $2.99 Line rides). How do these affect drivers' compensations? I've heard that the "first free ride" promos come out of the Rideshare company's pocket but what about the rest? Do Rideshare companies cover all/some of the difference?

For example, I was the only rider on a Lyft Line and paid $8 for a 25 minute ride during rush hour. This was a jaw-dropping $17 reduction. Although I'd base a tip on the original estimated fare (e.g. $25 and not $8), I'd like to know if I should adjust during promos.

It would be unfortunate to be receiving a great deal at a driver's expense. Lastly, do Lyft/Fasten drivers rate passengers before or after seeing the tip? How anonymous are tips? Can they change a passenger's rating after seeing the tip? It would also be unfortunate if my ratings drop because I didn't adjust my tip accordingly.

I Rideshare frequently and am grateful for the service, conversations, and suggestions that I've gotten. Drivers have great stories and have brightened up many of my days. Thank you for making the world a more comfortable, convenient place!

P.S. I know this is predominantly an Uber forum but I'm posting here because it seems to be the most active Rideshare forum. Most Uber drivers in my area also drive for Fasten and Lyft. It would be nice to hear about the promo compensation structure for all of these companies.

Last edited:

Mars Troll Number 4

Yes... they still pay the driver their cut and the company uber/lyft takes a steep loss.

This is one of quite a few reasons uber lost 700 MILLION in the first quarter of the year.

Promos like that.

MHR

Thank you for tipping on what your ride would have cost.

On Lyft we rate right after we end the ride. I don't rate based on tipping but others might. We are independent contractors so others do what they feel is necessary.

When you tip us in the app it is attached directly to the ride payment info that Lyft provides us. It is designated as a tip for that ride. We see how much was given.

Just please, don't ever say, 'I'll tip you in the app' and then not follow through. If you're not going to tip just don't say anything.

Also, if your arrive at your destination safely, without incident and the driver doesn't creep you out please consider that a 5 star ride. Ride share companies don't really care about a rider's rating but a driver's rating is what keeps 'em on the road.

JennyKat

MHR: Thank you for giving me the driver's perspective. I have a hard time rating anyone below 5 (or a thumbs-up in Fasten) even when I ought to. For example, Driver 1 drove bumpily on a smooth, empty highway at 6am and ran a red light. Driver 2 braked very, very hard and I jumped in my seat. I gave the first a 4. The second got a thumbs-up because he apologized profusely and checked that I was OK. Since both drivers were prompt and got me to my destination in time, I was generous. They had 4.8+ ratings over hundreds of rides. Maybe they were having a bad day. They're human and their livelihoods are affected by these ratings.

Instead, I give constructive criticism in messages for bumpy rides or thank you notes for the great ones! Do drivers read/have access to these? I'd like to think that a constructive message would go further in improving quality than a low rating where the driver doesn't know what went wrong. As long as there's no serious safety issues, I'm generous with ratings. Lastly, I never give a bad rating -- only instructions -- if a driver has trouble finding me.

MHR

I'd like to think that a constructive message would go further in improving quality than a low rating where the driver doesn't know what went wrong.
Yes, we do see the comments left by riders but we don't always know which rider left it. Sometimes the rider might reference something that would directly link it to a certain ride.

'Thanks for the great morning commute' and you only took 1 morning rider is easy to place.

'Thanks for the great conversation' when you've taken 20 rider's that day is a bit harder to designate.

And yes, there are legitimately bad drivers out there that shouldn't be doing ride share and need to be rated accordingly but as you stated sometimes we just made a mistake.

Trafficat

Instead, I give constructive criticism in messages for bumpy rides or thank you notes for the great ones! Do drivers read/have access to these? I'd like to think that a constructive message would go further in improving quality than a low rating where the driver doesn't know what went wrong. As long as there's no serious safety issues, I'm generous with ratings. Lastly, I never give a bad rating -- only instructions -- if a driver has trouble finding me.

On Uber I don't think anyone reads the negative comments except maybe Uber. Negative comments are not shown to the driver. 5 star feedback comments are shown to the driver. The driver will see "flags" like cleanliness, etc... some flags like "safety" may be treated seriously by Uber. The driver very rarely knows what he did wrong. Sometimes Uber will tell the driver he needs to improve in areas of "professionalism", "Navigation", "Safety", "Pickup", "cleanliness", but that's about all the details the driver might get. Usually I just see random low ratings pop up and I have no idea what I did wrong. When I do see a flag for something like "pickup" I usually remember a recent trip where a pax wanted me to pick them up in an illegal spot, and I instead pulled into a place where I can legally load and unload 20 feet away.

I highly doubt anyone at Uber reads any of the comments unless the driver is being investigated.

On Lyft, both negative and positive comments are shown to the driver, positive comments at the end of each day and negative comments at the end of each week. Lyft definitely reads some negative feedback comments. I got threatened with deactivation over a comment one of my Lyft passengers made regarding driving safely, even though I got no flags for "safety" on Lyft. "Please note that additional reports of this nature may result in action being taken against your account," the e-mail said. When the week was up I saw the negative feedback saying I broke a traffic rule (which I don't think I did after reviewing my dashcam footage.)

Lyft's flags are for Friendliness, Safety, Navigation, and Cleanliness.

I get flagged for friendliness a lot... but I don't know why. Out of my last 40 rated trips on Uber, only 1 of my 40 trips was rated less than 5 stars, and it was a 4. Out of my last 40 trips on Lyft during the same general time period, 10 were less than 5 star ratings. My Lyft rating correspondingly dropped from 4.74 to 4.64. The deactivation threshold is 4.6. For the next few weeks I'm being very selective with picking up only 4.9+ rated Lyft pax to bring my rating back up to 4.8, due to my theory that pax rating is very correlated with how the pax rates the driver.

Last edited:

NoDay

Thank you for tipping on what your ride would have cost.

On Lyft we rate right after we end the ride. I don't rate based on tipping but others might. We are independent contractors so others do what they feel is necessary.

When you tip us in the app it is attached directly to the ride payment info that Lyft provides us. It is designated as a tip for that ride. We see how much was given.

Just please, don't ever say, 'I'll tip you in the app' and then not follow through. If you're not going to tip just don't say anything.

Also, if your arrive at your destination safely, without incident and the driver doesn't creep you out please consider that a 5 star ride. Ride share companies don't really care about a rider's rating but a driver's rating is what keeps 'em on the road.

Yes, This ^! Well said!

Drivers per our contracts get paid by mile and min. The amount you're quoted on uber and lyft is not accurate to our pay. For example in my city an X ride pays the driver $0.11/mile and $0.76/mile, but the company takes between 20 to 30% of those rates. Uber might charge you $25 for that 25 min ride, but this also includes fees the driver gets no part of. Also the driver does not get paid for their time and milage to get to your pick up location.

The fact that you tip anything, is appreciated.
A tip from me: If your driver drove more than 15 minutes to get to your pick up location, he/she deserves a tip from the get go. That's more time than most of us will dead head for. This person is literally going the extra miles for you.

Yozee

Drivers are PAYING for those promos. How? Upfront pricing, where uber charges you (the rider) $25 and only pay driver $14 instead of $18.05 (20% + $1.95 booking fee).

With upfront pricing uber can take up to 60% of fare instead of the agreed 20% or 25%, uber will then use that difference to offer riders discounted fares and promos.

So in a way, drivers end up PAYING for thousands of trips, uber loses nada!

Perfect scam! Legal too:wink:

https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber-is-cheating-drivers.175574/

hulksmash

Uber and Lyft priorities are to gain marketshare moreso than make profit. The companies will not only offer you a discount, they will also subsidize the driver by offering a boost, of say 1.5 during heavy rush hour. That means the company pays 50% more for a ride without passing on the cost to the customer. They do this to prevent constant price surge that would naturally happen due to supply and demand. They'll still let it surge to a degree, but the purpose is to keep surges down, because they are afraid pax won't want to pay what a ride would really cost.