Freeway Ramp Closures

What would you do?

• Ask passenger for directions

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Wake up sleeping passenger and ask for directions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pull over and stop - open up standalone waze, get some route choicess

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Wing it, just drive around aimlessly until you find a street you know.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Jennyma

How do you handle it - when you cannot get off the freeway at your exit, you have no idea where you are and the GPS keeps directing you back on the freeway.

About a month or so ago, I had an airport pick up and we went all the way up on the 405 to the 210w but the 210w ramp was closed. I had no idea where we were or how I was going to get to the 210 freeway. My pax had been on the phone the entire ride ripping someone a new @@@@@@@ that set up her flight and problems from her business trip. I was scared of her. I got off the exit following the closure and my gps was directing me back on it, I thought maybe get on the east 210 and take it till I can turn around on it. She stopped me and said don't get back on it and without pushing her personal shit onto me directed me the way to her home, without 'tude.

However, this was about 12:30am. and not wanting to deadmile back, I caught a LINE ride back into westwood. (This was only partial help to get me back home, but was grateful) Okay, I should have known to just cancel it after, I was at the pickup destination, it was pitch black, cannot see any addresses, she calls and tells me she is up ahead, passed the tree on my left. She is diagnal accross the street about 20 feet away, and summons me to come there, making no effort to meet me. Now, to get to the chase, I am on the 210 with directions to switch onto the 405. Of course the 405 ramp is closed. I asked her if she could help. She says she just move here, she doesn't know where anything is, and that I'm driving... And had a put out tone of why don't you know where the @@@@ you're going. I stopped and pulled over and was able to see on gps where Sepulveda Blvd was and took that until I could get back onto the 405 South. We stopped for maybe 90 seconds max. Dropped her the @@@@ off and the next day my rating dropped and I got this scathing weekly review, about having a disorganized car and not feeling safe because I didn't know where I was going. I still don't know what a disorganized car means. Nothing was in it but gum and phone charger cords. Now, she didn't feel safe from that but would take line, when someone else could join us, in the middle of the night, in a city she is new to.

Sorry for the long story, wanted to give a little backstory. Anyway, last night, I had another ride up to the 5 to the 2 to Glendale and then to the 210, and my heart raced when I saw a sign that said 210 closure. My pax was sleeping (yes, picked him up from the airport) and all was great until CLOSURE. But luckily the 210 East was closed and we were going to the 210 West.

What do you do not to have any of these issues. I know many of you are so fabulous you know every street in every area of LA. But some of you have to have had a time where a ride brought you to god only knows where the @@@@ you are. How do you handle these unexpected obstacles.

Asking pax for directions gives you a 50/50 chance of getting a Navigation flag, but is it better than getting lost and then asking the pax for directions or having them say, where are you going? I googled lane closures just to make sure I know all that is to be expected this weekend. I know the 105 and 405 have some closures. Tips?

Kay1661

How do you handle it - when you cannot get off the freeway at your exit, you have no idea where you are and the GPS keeps directing you back on the freeway.

About a month or so ago, I had an airport pick up and we went all the way up on the 405 to the 210w but the 210w ramp was closed. I had no idea where we were or how I was going to get to the 210 freeway. My pax had been on the phone the entire ride ripping someone a new @@@@@@@ that set up her flight and problems from her business trip. I was scared of her. I got off the exit following the closure and my gps was directing me back on it, I thought maybe get on the east 210 and take it till I can turn around on it. She stopped me and said don't get back on it and without pushing her personal shit onto me directed me the way to her home, without 'tude.

However, this was about 12:30am. and not wanting to deadmile back, I caught a LINE ride back into westwood. (This was only partial help to get me back home, but was grateful) Okay, I should have known to just cancel it after, I was at the pickup destination, it was pitch black, cannot see any addresses, she calls and tells me she is up ahead, passed the tree on my left. She is diagnal accross the street about 20 feet away, and summons me to come there, making no effort to meet me. Now, to get to the chase, I am on the 210 with directions to switch onto the 405. Of course the 405 ramp is closed. I asked her if she could help. She says she just move here, she doesn't know where anything is, and that I'm driving... And had a put out tone of why don't you know where the &%[email protected]!* you're going. I stopped and pulled over and was able to see on gps where Sepulveda Blvd was and took that until I could get back onto the 405 South. We stopped for maybe 90 seconds max. Dropped her the &%[email protected]!* off and the next day my rating dropped and I got this scathing weekly review, about having a disorganized car and not feeling safe because I didn't know where I was going. I still don't know what a disorganized car means. Nothing was in it but gum and phone charger cords. Now, she didn't feel safe from that but would take line, when someone else could join us, in the middle of the night, in a city she is new to.

Sorry for the long story, wanted to give a little backstory. Anyway, last night, I had another ride up to the 5 to the 2 to Glendale and then to the 210, and my heart raced when I saw a sign that said 210 closure. My pax was sleeping (yes, picked him up from the airport) and all was great until CLOSURE. But luckily the 210 East was closed and we were going to the 210 West.

What do you do not to have any of these issues. I know many of you are so fabulous you know every street in every area of LA. But some of you have to have had a time where a ride brought you to god only knows where the &%[email protected]!* you are. How do you handle these unexpected obstacles.

Asking pax for directions gives you a 50/50 chance of getting a Navigation flag, but is it better than getting lost and then asking the pax for directions or having them say, where are you going? I googled lane closures just to make sure I know all that is to be expected this weekend. I know the 105 and 405 have some closures. Tips?
Shit happens.
Part of the job.
I sometimes have to explain to the pax that I am human.
I do t have superpowers that will magically navigate me to where they want to go.
Don't freak out and stay calm. Forget about the rating.

lvesq1906

Yeah I was on a 550% lyft trip from Forum yesterday. Didn’t believe signs that 110 south express ramp was closed. It was. Ended up adding 20 min and 7 miles to the trip. Very embarsssing. Waze kept trying to route me back towards the closed Ramp. Had to take a moment, compose myself and figure out a new route. Tough when you have pax and they are wondering what the F you’re doing.

FreakOfNature

News headline.....(picture l.a. marathon) automated uber holds passenger hostage driving in circles while waiting for navigation system to figure out it needs alternate route

UberLaLa

Whenever this happens, which isn't an 'if' but a 'when' in L.A. I point out to passenger the closure and wait for my navigation to do it's Reroute then decide if there is actually a problem (most of the time it's not a big change). If there is, and the problem is I am in an unfamiliar area - been in L.A. 45 years, so not much too unfamiliar - but it is a big azz place, so there is always some places that have those weird situations, then I simply tell passenger, I'm from Pasadena (which lets them know immediately I am not from that exact area e.g. Torrance etc.) and not completely certain just yet how I'm going to get us back on course, but we will. If they are from the area they chime in on what to do. If not, they are always understanding and appreciative of the heads up.

Yeah I was on a 550% lyft trip from Forum yesterday. Didn’t believe signs that 110 south express ramp was closed. It was. Ended up adding 20 min and 7 miles to the trip. Very embarsssing. Waze kept trying to route me back towards the closed Ramp. Had to take a moment, compose myself and figure out a new route. Tough when you have pax and they are wondering what the F you’re doing.

Totally feeling you on this...lol!

Btw...Sometimes the 'Routes' tab will give an option that overrides the constant of Waze trying to send us back to the same closed street/ramp.

Yellowmamba24

Just get off on the next exit n look at the map n start driving towards the destination until Google Map navigates u :eek:

Lonely Planet

1. Get off next exit.. Look at google map and use local street to destination.

2. Look for detour sign and follow it.

3. Ask for direction.

Bart Reed

The real truth is still need to use Waze. I know all the Freeway mentioned and this still can be difficult. Sometimes you need to exit the Freeway and get the map to recalibrate locally.

Involve the passenger. Sometimes they know and other times they are clueless.

Navigation is an on the fly issue sometimes where you, the driver have to figure out the puzzle.

nostrils

What I do is simple, if the ramp is closed I look to see in which direction I need to go, east, west etc.
Then I just get off at the ramp before the closure and head in the direction I need to go, knowing full well I can most likely get on at the next ramp