• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Free at last! Thank God almighty Free at last!

touberornottouber

(With apologies to the great Martin Luther King Jr.)

I'm finally away from having to do rideshare Full or near full time as I did for the last three years. It never used to be that bad but over the years the pay has got worse and worse while the amount of drivers in my area tripled. I enjoy the "job" itself but it became a constant grind to pay my bills. A good day was always near $10 an hour and it never got much better than that. A bad day was often around $5 an hour. I found myself working a week straight 10-16 hours a day trying to pay my bills! In 2016 and early 2017 I often made $15-$20 an hour in comparison.

I drove a little today for about two hours but it was just on my terms and I wasn't doing it in desperation for paying my rent. It felt totally different. I'll still drive off and on but it really does feel that in getting away from full time rideshare I have basically been freed from slavery!! I am so thankful!

I truly wish everyone out there who was stuck in my situation luck. I hope you too can get out!

Last edited:

RideshareUSA

I'm finally away from having to do rideshare Full or near full time as I did for the last three years. It never used to be that bad but over the years the pay has got worse and worse while the amount of drivers in my area tripled. I enjoy the "job" itself but it became a constant grind to pay my bills. A good day was always near $10 an hour and it never got much better than that. A bad day was often around $5 an hour. I found myself working a week straight 10-16 hours a day trying to pay my bills! In 2016 and early 2017 I often made $15-$20 an hour in comparison.

I drove a little today for about two hours but it was just on my terms and I wasn't doing it in desperation for paying my rent. It felt totally different. I'll still drive off and on but it really does feel that in getting away from full time rideshare I have basically been freed from slavery!! I am so thankful!

I truly wish everyone out there who was stuck in my situation luck. I hope you too can get out!
I am on a similar path myself. F/T driving for 2.5 years and now just drive casually on MY terms!

nouberipo

Congrats.. I agree about the pay. I aim for 6.00 per hour if I drive at this point, down from about 30.00 per ho bur just a couple years ago. I now do it just to get out of the house

kevin92009

i was in a similiar sitsuation doing it for full time for 3 years , i took the shackles off a month ago and got a real job to pay the bills . congrats for the change you made . you will feel the new sense of freedom with out exploitation

Galveston

I am desperate to get out I’m not making any money and all my shit is in pawn

Invisible

I am desperate to get out I’m not making any money and all my shit is in pawn
Check out the trades. Go walk into any trade union hall, and ask about apprenticeships, like Electrical, Carpentry or Construction. Or apply to be a county worker. I dated a guy for 10 years who did road construction with the county. He had a great pension and became president of his union.

Here they desperately need people, and many trades are starting at $18/hr with no experience needed. Good luck to you!

25rides7daysaweek

Good luck man!!!
You'll need better than that
To get out of here TOO !!!

Ringo

Check out the trades. Go walk into any trade union hall, and ask about apprenticeships, like Electrical, Carpentry or Construction. Or apply to be a county worker. I dated a guy for 10 years who did road construction with the county. He had a great pension and became president of his union.

Here they desperately need people, and many trades are starting at $18/hr with no experience needed. Good luck to you!
This is actually very good advice, I myself have been in a trade union for 24 years and anyone with enough ambition and perseverance can get in and make a career of it. Sign on an apprenticeship list and eventually you will get the call and then just work hard and be dependable and everything will be much better from then on.

7Miles

It’s gonna take a while to switch from driving part time to not driving at all, speaking from my own experience. Because unless you’re lucky , first job you’ll take will be a low paid one. So struggle is not over yet.
But in a year it will be easier I hope!