Free Association (Unionization)

It is painfully obvious there is much discontent amongst drivers for rideshare services. The cards are stacked in favor of Uber. Uber has invested heavily into robotics with the expressed aim of cutting drivers out of the equation entirely, and later, car manufacturers when autonomously driven Uber cars dominate the roads and no one owns their own car.

But until that day comes, human drivers must work the streets for them to operate. If we, as their workforce, want to hold any sway with the powers that be, then we must organize. We must excersize our American right to freely associate and unionize.

What I propose is a local, web-based organization that we use to express our agenda, organize strikes, and make demands of our "keepers."

If you are frustrated by low fares, exorbitant Uber fees, rude passengers, disrespectful cab drivers, late nights and low earnings, then stand with me against the powerful who exploit us. Fight for equality. Fight for your right to fair wages. Fight for your brothers and sisters behind the wheel.

I will gladly put my abilities as a former journalist to use representing Uber and Lyft drivers.

What do you think? Would you pay nominal Union fees and be willing to strike on a busy Saturday night for a better standard of living? Let me know in the comments below.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, I've posted this under my actual name. I understand that Uber may try to punish me for posting such subversive ideas, but let me make myself entirely clear: If Uber takes action against me for merely excersizing my first amendment right, I will sue the pants off of you and make sure that it is HIGHLY PUBLICIZED. It is a can of worms that is best left closed.

Also, drivers can google me and see that I legitimately was a reporter and I'm not full of shit.

I know my rights and what the legal precedent is regarding unions and free speech. So don't @@@@ with me. I am a coiled snake prepared to strike.

Scuba Steve

I appreciate your interest in standing up for yourself & for other drivers.

The strike thing has been tried many times all over the country with little to no results.

Our best way to increase the rates is already built into the app- Surge pricing

It's hard to convince people to strike for any length of time bc they still need/want to make money.

We should organize a "surge only" weekend where drivers agree not to take any rides below 1.5x surge. It's not hard to do, and if it's done right we all benefit.

Then after a few surge-only weekends when everyone sees how easy it can be, we make it permanent until it becomes impossible to get an Uber in N.O. without paying surge

ubertruther

I said the other day that uber drivers need a national union with local chapters. The sad part is that in the south, a lot of people are content with being boot lickers, which makes it that much more harder for unions to gain any traction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Scuba Steve: That is a good idea. Has it been done.

Nolafan310: That is exactly the self-defeatist attitude that institutes a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure. How can you truly know it will fail until we actually try and fail?

Ubertruther: many drivers have reached out to the Teamsters. I will try to contact them next week.

stevedmc

We organized a strike in Baton Rouge several months ago.

We managed to make the it nearly impossible to get an Uber ride for almost 24 hours.

Despite having very few cars on the road, Uber decided to combat our strike by turning off surge pricing for a week.

You heard me right. The drivers that stayed on the road didn't pick up a single surge.

The only thing that will work is either class action suit or stop driving. If enough people stop driving and put the word out they will need more drivers and have to create bigger sign on bonuses or better rates.
Uber is constantly sending me things to refer people. I'M NOT REFERRING ANYONR TO THIS BS.
uber does not care. They are testing driverless cars in some markets. We as drivers don't matter. I stopped driving for Uber months ago.

LilCajun

I have been driving since Uber started.. I understand everyones frustrations. I too am not happy with the rate reductions. It undercuts the taxis and does not make for a level playing field.. think in the long run, that might hurt Uber.
However.. you need to get out of the mindsrt that you work for Uber. You do not. You are not an employee and do not have the same rights, benefits or protections.
You are an independant contractor. You pay fees to use Uber software to support your own for hire business. This is Uber stance and when you signed up.. you agreed to the policy.
Right, wrong, fair or not... that is the way Uber conducts business. They are a broker for services.. nothing more.
Do I think they need to revamp some of their policies and procedures?? Yes.. very much so... but not sure if Unionizing drivers is the way to go.
All Uber will do is sub out the work to others... just like when the teamsters strike..Scabs pick up the slack. There is always someone willing to work..bottom line.

It is painfully obvious there is much discontent amongst drivers for rideshare services. The cards are stacked in favor of Uber. Uber has invested heavily into robotics with the expressed aim of cutting drivers out of the equation entirely, and later, car manufacturers when autonomously driven Uber cars dominate the roads and no one owns their own car.

But until that day comes, human drivers must work the streets for them to operate. If we, as their workforce, want to hold any sway with the powers that be, then we must organize. We must excersize our American right to freely associate and unionize.

What I propose is a local, web-based organization that we use to express our agenda, organize strikes, and make demands of our "keepers."

If you are frustrated by low fares, exorbitant Uber fees, rude passengers, disrespectful cab drivers, late nights and low earnings, then stand with me against the powerful who exploit us. Fight for equality. Fight for your right to fair wages. Fight for your brothers and sisters behind the wheel.

I will gladly put my abilities as a former journalist to use representing Uber and Lyft drivers.

What do you think? Would you pay nominal Union fees and be willing to strike on a busy Saturday night for a better standard of living? Let me know in the comments below.
Please keep unionization out of Uber. This business model is still evolving. The last thing we need is some pathetic services industry union taking a cut for union dues.

hawk6993

I've given this all a long time to simmer in my brain. I worked for FedEx great union at times. Others they threw drivers under our own vans to make it easy on themselves. The only way a union works with this kind of business is Uber,Lyft,sidecar,Waze,and other ride share drivers to all join one union. Which would never happen but you would need all of them together as one to make a difference. Then healthcare, paid sick time,vacation time and guaranteed minimum pay would be a pipe dream but ya never know....

Ive been interviewed by WWL twice in regards to Uber and I'm down. I'm tired of the automated responses that have crap to do with the issues I email them about. I've been in a position where I felt my life was in danger and I am only left with an email option, but I just made my last ride outside of a 20 mile airport or city radius. A ride from the airport to deep in Mandeville was $39 and a trip to Gramercy was $43. Not only is that ridiculous because its a dead trip back, but these unaccounted for miles are not even calculated in the tax form. Too much. Riders are making less than $8 an hours on airport runs if you calculate the wait time, but what pisses me off the most is riders manipulating the system by walking across from the airport to IHOP and the hotel in order to knock 7 to $8 off of their fare and complaining to Uber is worthless. So count me in

stevedmc

It's your own fault if you pickup people at the iHop. You shouldn't be picking up anyone in Jefferson Parish unless they are at the airport. You are risking several tickets if you pickup anywhere other than the airport in JP.

Shut the hell up! Some Uber drivers are only allowed to pick up in Jefferson Parish due to the year of their vehicle and registration. If it was illegal the. Uber would not be sending emails saying it's ok.

Nolagal71

Ive been interviewed by WWL twice in regards to Uber and I'm down. I'm tired of the automated responses that have crap to do with the issues I email them about. I've been in a position where I felt my life was in danger and I am only left with an email option, but I just made my last ride outside of a 20 mile airport or city radius. A ride from the airport to deep in Mandeville was $39 and a trip to Gramercy was $43. Not only is that ridiculous because its a dead trip back, but these unaccounted for miles are not even calculated in the tax form. Too much. Riders are making less than $8 an hours on airport runs if you calculate the wait time, but what pisses me off the most is riders manipulating the system by walking across from the airport to IHOP and the hotel in order to knock 7 to $8 off of their fare and complaining to Uber is worthless. So count me in
Lol! So YOU are the dummy who's been picking up across the street from the airport?