• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Freakanomics Podcast: What Can Uber Teach Us About the Gender Pay Gap?

Pizzaburrito

I'm a nerd, and get all excited about data. So, earlier I was listening to this podcast, and it had some interesting info about Uber drivers. Many of you probably know this, but I was surprised that 60% of drivers quit before 6 months. I guess that makes me a super veteran. Also, Sunday afternoons are one of the best days, and Women disproportionately take advantage of it.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/what-can-uber-teach-us-about-the-gender-pay-gap/

Slim Pete

I'm a nerd, and get all excited about data. So, earlier I was listening to this podcast, and it had some interesting info about Uber drivers. Many of you probably know this, but I was surprised that 60% of drivers quit before 6 months. I guess that makes me a super veteran. Also, Sunday afternoons are one of the best days, and Women disproportionately take advantage of it.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/what-can-uber-teach-us-about-the-gender-pay-gap/
While that link did not work, a simple Google search revealed that it is just yet another garbage article. As expected, it says that women get paid less than men, about 7% less.

Every freaking article has to make it look as if women are victimized and being discriminated against. Disgusting!

Dug_M

The link does not work for some reason but copy and paste and it's ok...

Edit: I just read the actual report not the podcast interview and it's really interesting. What surprised me was that Uber actually worked with the researchers and supplied their data.
Here are the people who complied the report:

SOURCES

Last edited:

PorkRollUberAndCheese

Here's the reason why they are paid less:

The most profitable hours to work Uber is last call. Women are less likely to be working those hours for safety reasons. End story

Dug_M

Here's the reason why they are paid less:

The most profitable hours to work Uber is last call. Women are less likely to be working those hours for safety reasons. End story
That's a real good off the cuff response...

The report was using Uber as an example of a gender neutral business. It was using that as an example of how data can be misrepresented. "Uber pays women 7 percent less then men" When you got to the example of two people who both got jobs at major law firms and started out at the same salary (I'm sure you read that far...) it went on to explain why women lawyers make less then men. It's because of choices in their career path, i.e. children, home life etc...

That's not to say women are paid the same as men. Examples are Movie actors or even software engineers (I was in IT for 40+ years and I did see women getting paid less then men doing the same job).