Fraudulent request...Case Study

Diamondraider

Date: Sunday, September 25
Time: approx 3pm
Place: Chelsea

SUMMARY
Uber driver accepts “stacked” request, ignores a “prank” call from “Uber tech”, and then notifies Uber Support upon confirming the ride request is fraudulent.

I received a call from someone claiming I was going to get a bonus after confirming the ride request information. I stated the information the caller wanted “would be in the Uber system. Call tech support for additional assistance. “

Since the pick up location was very close, I confirmed arrival as quickly as I could. Once at the address, I waited until “cancellation eligible” should have appeared in the window

I got a text stating that the riders dad had picked them up please cancel the ride.

Called the rider repeatedly and got voicemail. I left a message for the alleged father

Then I called support and told them I had a fraudulent ride that was still active and I was at the location where the request originated from assuming it was not rerouted somehow. Huber could not see the ride until I closed it. I insisted the support person manually log all of the rhyme details along with a mandatory instruction to call me back with the results of their investigation. Since I lost a cancellation fee, wait time, and potential revenue, I was not prepared to issue a verbal report with the follow up. I initially requested that the police being called while I waited did not want to involve the authorities.

I clearly stated to the Support rep I required a call back within 24 hours from a live person explaining what steps were taken and any that were still going to be taken. I have received several of these fraudulent requests which usually results in a cancellation with no fee and no data that Uber can provide to source the person responsible.

We have this fraudster dead to rights and over did not want to help their driver at that time. In two hours I will be contacting them to escalate if I have not heard back.

My info:
6 months, Uber only
2700+ rides with 1100+ rated.
UberX and Pool
High accept/low cancel ratio
Currently 4.90

I apologize for some spelling and grammatical errors. I use voice to text

PrestonT

SUMMARY
Uber driver accepts “stacked” request, ignores a “prank” call from “Uber tech”, and then notifies Uber Support upon confirming the ride request is fraudulent.

I received a call from someone claiming I was going to get a bonus after confirming the ride request information. I stated the information the caller wanted “would be in the Uber system. Call tech support for additional assistance. “

Since the pick up location was very close, I confirmed arrival as quickly as I could. Once at the address, I waited until “cancellation eligible” should have appeared in the window

I got a text stating that the riders dad had picked them up please cancel the ride.

Called the rider repeatedly and got voicemail. I left a message for the alleged father

Then I called support and told them I had a fraudulent ride that was still active and I was at the location where the request originated from assuming it was not rerouted somehow. Huber could not see the ride until I closed it. I insisted the support person manually log all of the rhyme details along with a mandatory instruction to call me back with the results of their investigation. Since I lost a cancellation fee, wait time, and potential revenue, I was not prepared to issue a verbal report with the follow up. I initially requested that the police being called while I waited did not want to involve the authorities.

I clearly stated to the Support rep I required a call back within 24 hours from a live person explaining what steps were taken and any that were still going to be taken. I have received several of these fraudulent requests which usually results in a cancellation with no fee and no data that Uber can provide to source the person responsible.

We have this fraudster dead to rights and over did not want to help their driver at that time. In two hours I will be contacting them to escalate if I have not heard back.

My info:
6 months, Uber only
UberX and Pool
Currently 4.90

So you know that the pin on the map doesn't have to be where the scammer is, right? You can drop a pin anywhere, even in another city or country.

I did get a great chuckle out of your Barney Fife-like handling of the case, though.

Diamondraider

Hi Preston,

I did not know the range was that large for setting the pin.

That does not change the core fact pattern though.

Kevin, the point of the post was to demonstrate for anyone that is interested how is active support call in the new and improved Uber environment will be handled in support of drivers during our 180 day project

B - uberlyftdriver

this has been going on for at least a year on both apps.
the key is, the apps very rarely call you and will never ask you for info that they already know

i have had these scammers call me on both apps,i try to go to the pin and f with them on the phone until the timer runs out for a cancel fee.
then contact support with the trip details

uber and lyft are well aware of this and i guarantee they are trying to close the doors on it.

my question is, would you give your credit card info or personal info to somebody that called YOU on the phone?

if yes, you can blame nobody but yourself for falling for it

AuxCordBoston

SUMMARY

My info:
6 months, Uber only
UberX and Pool
Currently 4.90

Seems like a lot of work for one ride. What exactly is the scam?

Shmo313

I called a few months ago when this happened to me. I knew the scam so I told the rider to screw when they called me, but when I called help, they said they have a department that handles this, and they don't have phone access so I couldn't speak directly to the department that handles it, I could just tell this person what happened and that's it. I was baffled when they refused to shut down this person's account immediately, and allowed this rider to stay active and continue to try and steal money from drivers, while they do an investigation. I was told someone from uber would be in touch about the issue and nobody every got back to me. I worked for a major retail pharmacy for 15 years and it was the same there. Whenever i would bring up issues of refund fraud, coupon fraud, or whatever else, corporate could care less and just told us to take care of the customer until finally they realized the people on the front lines, the ones running the stores, might have a little more insight than someone sitting behind a desk 100 miles away, and the company was losing millions a year to fraud that the stores had been reporting for years. These companies are worried more about upsetting a fraudulent customer over their hard workers.

john1975

I called a few months ago when this happened to me. I knew the scam so I told the rider to screw when they called me, but when I called help, they said they have a department that handles this, and they don't have phone access so I couldn't speak directly to the department that handles it, I could just tell this person what happened and that's it. I was baffled when they refused to shut down this person's account immediately, and allowed this rider to stay active and continue to try and steal money from drivers, while they do an investigation. I was told someone from uber would be in touch about the issue and nobody every got back to me. I worked for a major retail pharmacy for 15 years and it was the same there. Whenever i would bring up issues of refund fraud, coupon fraud, or whatever else, corporate could care less and just told us to take care of the customer until finally they realized the people on the front lines, the ones running the stores, might have a little more insight than someone sitting behind a desk 100 miles away, and the company was losing millions a year to fraud that the stores had been reporting for years. These companies are worried more about upsetting a fraudulent customer over their hard workers.
What's funny is if a pax reports a driver for something they act first and ask questions later.

Diamondraider

UPDATE.

48 hours since the deadline. 2 reminder calls to support (T&W).

Heading to green light Friday. Just for fun. We all knew where this was headed.