Frankie's Holiday Down Under

ftupelo

Les Ants,

As some of you may recall, Frankie was planning on summering on the Spanish Riviera this year. Flights were booked, exclusive hotels were booked, every detail was ironed out. I was supposed to be researching locales for an eventual retirement pied-à-terre. Unfortunately, sweety had to switch jobs right in the middle of when we had our vacation planned. The search for my villa by the sea will have to wait at least another year.

That said, Frankie and Sweety are still looking to take time off from our stressful, yet lucrative careers this year. It appears that the ideal time for our annual international foray will be over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I travelled with Sweety to South America over Thanksgiving a couple of years ago - we visited Santiago - Chile, Buenos Aires - Argentina, and Montevideo - Uruguay. Although a little rough, South America was splendid and our accommodations were certainly top-notch. I prefer travelling to the southern hemisphere that time of year because there is still plentiful sun for my gorgeously tanned body to absorb.

I am now thinking a trip to Australia might make the most sense for spending ~10 days on fun and relaxation. Any Ants have experience travelling down under? Any locations you recommend outside of Sidney and Melbourne? Any interesting activities or sites to be seen? Any Michelin starred restaurants that cannot be missed?

Toodles,

Frankie

Who is John Galt?

Les Ants,

As some of you may recall, Frankie was planning on summering on the Spanish Riviera this year. Flights were booked, exclusive hotels were booked, every detail was ironed out. I was supposed to be researching locales for an eventual retirement pied-à-terre. Unfortunately, sweety had to switch jobs right in the middle of when we had our vacation planned. The search for my villa by the sea will have to wait at least another year.

That said, Frankie and Sweety are still looking to take time off from our stressful, yet lucrative careers this year. It appears that the ideal time for our annual international foray will be over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I travelled with Sweety to South America over Thanksgiving a couple of years ago - we visited Santiago - Chile, Buenos Aires - Argentina, and Montevideo - Uruguay. Although a little rough, South America was splendid and our accommodations were certainly top-notch. I prefer travelling to the southern hemisphere that time of year because there is still plentiful sun for my gorgeously tanned body to absorb.

I am now thinking a trip to Australia might make the most sense for spending ~10 days on fun and relaxation. Any Ants have experience travelling down under? Any locations you recommend outside of Sidney and Melbourne? Any interesting activities or sites to be seen? Any Michelin starred restaurants that cannot be missed?

Toodles,

Frankie

Tell me a little more of Sweety’s needs and I may be able to help you with more than just information. :smiles:

ST DYMPHNA son

Les Ants,

Toodles,

Frankie
...if you are in Sydney by any chance take opportunity to see Sydney from the Bridge,views are spectacular,but don't go with official Bridge Climbing Company, it cost probably over $300.00 per person... use this,the best kept secret in Sydney :

Who is John Galt?

Fantastic suggestion. Maybe a trip to the Barossa Valley to visit Penfolds is in order.

I’m going to have to come back to this at a later time, but Penfolds is in the Magill Estate a mere 8 kms from the city centre of Adelaide - the hub of sophistication and the bosom of savoir faire of the antipodes.

From the estates of Magill, I would recommend the wasting of several afternoons amongst the vines of McLaren Vale and other southern vales. Once again the proximity to Adelaide is a breeze at only 40km and 40 mins.

More to come.

ftupelo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m going to have to come back to this at a later time, but Penfolds is in the Magill Estate a mere 8 kms from the city centre of Adelaide - the hub of sophistication and the bosom of savoir faire of the antipodes.

From the estates of Magill, I would recommend the wasting of several afternoons amongst the vines of McLaren Vale and other southern vales. Once again the proximity to Adelaide is a breeze at only 40km and 40 mins.

More to come.

Would love to hear more when you have the time. Some background on you would also be helpful to frame the conversation - did you live in Australia for a period?

Toodles

Funky Monkey

I would go inland and check out the aboriginal caves (art), footprints etc dating back 80,000 years but that's just me. Watched a program on it, Amazon or Netflix can't remember, said based on footprints very tall aborigine was chasing prey and covering ground as fast as Usain Bolt, literally. Here's the kicker, one of his pals was running alongside him on ONE leg with a pole to propel him held in his opposite hand. God willing, my greatest hardship today will be my legs sticking to hot leather car seats on the way to a nice seafood restaurant. I'll make sure to complain about it!

Last edited:

ftupelo

Les Ants,

The time has come. Frankie is sitting in the Admiral's Lounge at DFW on my way to Sydney via LAX. I just had the worst UBER ride with Sweetie to the airport - of course, being the skinflint that I am, I ordered an X. Guy was nice enough - an older gentleman - career marine now retired. Poor guy couldn't see the app 3 feet in front of his face, so missed multiple turns. Feels great getting on the freeway knowing a blind ant will be hitting 70mph at the wheel. Beyond all that, the car was filthy, reeked of urine, and the trunk was so cluttered our luggage barely fit.

With that behind me, I can now look forward. I can tell you I am not looking forward to the 15 hour flight from LAX to Sydney, particularly because Sweetie wasn't able to get us upgraded to first class. Unfortunately, it looks at though we may experience rain and inclement weather for the duration of our trip, except for perhaps a slight reprieve that luckily corresponds with our Great Barrier Reef dive. Outside of two Michael Buble concerts and the reef dive, we have no other plans. I prefer not to plan ahead too much and determine the itinerary one day at a time. Will do my best to update the ants on my adventures.

Toodles,

Frankie

ftupelo

The lounge here at LAX is 💯. They do have Glenlivet 12, but craft beer it is for now
975F19C7-2A11-4D9A-9D04-BE9D991896DA.jpeg
FBA56812-0ADD-4757-93A3-3AB93229610B.jpeg
D310B598-67E5-444E-93F5-2F8FEDA91ABF.jpeg
AFCDCB8F-C3E4-454B-BA1E-BC55014F46A5.jpeg

Post automatically merged:

Upgrade update. Sweetie and I are now number 2 and 3 on the waitlist with 4 seats available. Should mean we get an upgrade. When you see the pics, you will know the outcome.

Last edited:

ST DYMPHNA son

1DS_9561_01.jpg

...have fun...good fishing as Australia is an island...

1DS_9563.jpg

...but be careful as we drink too much and like to have a good fight...

katu3 008.jpg

...girls can have a fun too...

_MG_7440.jpg

...some people would not mind to be death to be in the most beautiful graveyard in the world...Bronte Cementary...

_MG_7448.jpg

...and that's what one can see from there...Coogee Beach...

ftupelo

The eagle has landed! I am well rested and ready to take on Sydney. Will head out soon to circle quay. Floor seats at the Buble concert this evening, and mass tomorrow morning at St. Mary’s Cathedral. If anyone needs me, we are staying at the Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park. Weather is crappy, as anticipated.
16898F6C-A645-4DC2-BE5C-21DBC265BFEE.jpeg