• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Fort Lee pass permit!!

WhiteCam

Hi all!!
I went today to Lee gate to obtain a pass permit. After about 20 minutes till I got my turn, the officer explained that I can't get a pass till I am actually working, and someone is waiting for me inside the base!!.
That seems a bit confusing. I can't let the passenger wait for me 30 minutes while I am getting the pass.
Anyone could give me some help or experience!!.
Thanks.

backcountryrez

Only advice is to either get the pass in the future to make pickups easier or have the soldier meet you at the front gate.

nam10291

They have basically tried to eliminate Uber and Lyft from coming onto base. They have contracts with certain cab companies now. To make it worse on Lyft and Uber drivers, they require you to obtain a new pass every day. This is how they get away with it.

Abnreb

I have been a driver for over 2 years now with most of my pickups being on base. I am also an active duty soldier. I'd like to shed some light on the corrupt bussiness practices the post has been conducting for the last couple of years. First, according to federal acquisition laws that cover the contract that Airport taxi currently holds clearly states that the post cannot prevent small bussiness from competing for this same bussiness. After fighting how they have treated uber and lyft drivers and pointing out that preventing the drivers from coming on post was an ethics violation, the post officials have decided that they would not say you can't. They have just made it impossible to get the rides. We as a work force can put in a complaint to the garrison commander and show him we are not going away. I strongly urge all the drivers do this. Their bussiness practices are unethical and someone needs to shine some light on it.

I have been a driver for over 2 years now with most of my pickups being on base. I am also an active duty soldier. I'd like to shed some light on the corrupt bussiness practices the post has been conducting for the last couple of years. First, according to federal acquisition laws that cover the contract that Airport taxi currently holds clearly states that the post cannot prevent small bussiness from competing for this same bussiness. After fighting how they have treated uber and lyft drivers and pointing out that preventing the drivers from coming on post was an ethics violation, the post officials have decided that they would not say you can't. They have just made it impossible to get the rides. We as a work force can put in a complaint to the garrison commander and show him we are not going away. I strongly urge all the drivers do this. Their bussiness practices are unethical and someone needs to shine some light on it.
also, the other cab companies are not required to get a special pass for every ride, so what they have done is set up a discriminating profile towards ride share companies.

Abnreb

They have basically tried to eliminate Uber and Lyft from coming onto base. They have contracts with certain cab companies now. To make it worse on Lyft and Uber drivers, they require you to obtain a new pass every day. This is how they get away with it.
Just to clarify, the Provost Marshal for the post (sheriff in civilian terms) has decided that ride share operators will be required to get a new pass for every single ride they drop or pick up from the base. Anyone doing this knows exactly what they just did, they found a sneaky slimy way of preventing us from cutting into Airport Taxis business. To make matters worse, the taxis flat rate to the airport is $60-$65 whereas an uber is no more than $35. Not sure about Lyft as I don't drive for them. Same goes for trips to Richmond, an uber will average you $30-$35 where the taxis flat rate is $65. Not only are they violating ethics laws against the drivers, they are pompously making it more expensive for soldiers who are here for training to get around. I think the news agencies need to be involved soon so this can be brought to light and exposed.

Nad2018

also, the other cab companies are not required to get a special pass for every ride, so what they have done is set up a discriminating profile towards ride share companies.
Hi,

I’m a retired military spouse. After the gate guards on fort lee noticed I do Lyft, I been harassed on a regular when I go shopping at the commissary or even going for appointments to the Kenner clinic. I’m sick and tired of it !!! Today I had a lady come on my screen ,came from AZ for a graduation on fort lee and the MP at the gate gave me ZErO trouble and said I was allowed in with my military ID and the flash light cops (gate guards) need to mind their own darn business.

Just to clarify, the Provost Marshal for the post (sheriff in civilian terms) has decided that ride share operators will be required to get a new pass for every single ride they drop or pick up from the base. Anyone doing this knows exactly what they just did, they found a sneaky slimy way of preventing us from cutting into Airport Taxis business. To make matters worse, the taxis flat rate to the airport is $60-$65 whereas an uber is no more than $35. Not sure about Lyft as I don't drive for them. Same goes for trips to Richmond, an uber will average you $30-$35 where the taxis flat rate is $65. Not only are they violating ethics laws against the drivers, they are pompously making it more expensive for soldiers who are here for training to get around. I think the news agencies need to be involved soon so this can be brought to light and exposed.
How do u handle it? U got a active duty ID card, do u still get a pass?
Hubby is retired military and I have the dependent ID card and won’t mess with the pass. I tried once and it was a true nightmare. I haven’t had that many pick ups or drop offs on Lee due to the difficulties.

Benjamin M

I know that this is an old post but I thought I'd update.

Drove three Marines to the base from about an hour away yesterday afternoon. The gate officer reprimanded me for not having a pass (news to me and my passengers) but let me on base so I could drive them to their barracks.

They're on base for a short period, we saw loads of taxi drivers on the way through. One forgot his wallet so that was a nice $15 for me.

There's a visitors center before the gate, guessing that's where you would get a pass.

Feel for this Marine, he had to pay loads of fees and a taxi ride to the gate. Calling Uber tomorrow to address all but the returned item fees (two fees for wait time, one was because of traffic and a map issue).

Dutchman

A bit more than a year ago, I was in the area (Colonial Heights) after dropping off a passenger from Richmond. I got a ping from Fort Lee and THEN the passenger immediately called me. Apparently, the gentleman had issues with Uber/Lyft before and wanted to "make sure" I had a pass to get onto Fort Lee. Of course, I did not. I asked him if he could meet me at the gate.

He said "no" - so I told him that it would be a 'no go' and canceled the ride. Unless you have a military ID or some other post pass, you should be very insistent that the passenger meet you at the front gate. Otherwise, you will end up wasting tons of time and the passenger will probably cancel on you when you cannot get to them in a reasonable amount of time.

TRB

A bit more than a year ago, I was in the area (Colonial Heights) after dropping off a passenger from Richmond. I got a ping from Fort Lee and THEN the passenger immediately called me. Apparently, the gentleman had issues with Uber/Lyft before and wanted to "make sure" I had a pass to get onto Fort Lee. Of course, I did not. I asked him if he could meet me at the gate.

He said "no" - so I told him that it would be a 'no go' and canceled the ride. Unless you have a military ID or some other post pass, you should be very insistent that the passenger meet you at the front gate. Otherwise, you will end up wasting tons of time and the passenger will probably cancel on you when you cannot get to them in a reasonable amount of time.
I have heard from several soldiers stationed there that use Uber off post, that the base commander was under investigation by the Army for taking money (allegedly) from the taxi companies. They've said that it's impossible to get an Uber on post, so most that have been stationed there a while don't even bother.

Benjamin M

These guys were awesome. The guard balked at the idea of them walking from the gate in the snow, damn near laughed. We were all thankful that I was able to drive them to the barracks.

This area was hot on Uber and Lyft, seconds after going online I had requests from both. But I had to decline because of the lost wallet. Not sure if the pings were on the base.