• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Fort Collins: Drunk steals Uber

TopperNorth

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2017/02/21/larimer-county-woman-accused-stealing-uber-drivers-car/98222350/

Sheriff's deputies responded to the call about 2:40 a.m. Saturday (4/18). When they got there, they were told that when the Uber driver reached the destination in the 700 block of Glenn Ridge Drive, Meagan Osgood got into a fight with another passenger and refused to get out of the car. When the Uber driver got out to break up the fight, Osgood locked the car's doors and proceeded to drive it through a yard, striking a retaining wall, a tree and landscaping, according to a news release.

So I'm thinking there are several lesson here
1. Pre-screen your riders before unlocking your doors when driving the drunk shift.
2. Whenever you exit your vehicle take your keys and your phone.
3. Don't drive the drunk shift.

I feel really bad for this Uber driver. I drive FOCO all the time. Folks are nice and it's a great place to drive. Poor guy is just trying to make a few bucks and some drunk trashes his car. What a shame.

So I'm thinking there are several lesson here
1. Pre-screen your riders before unlocking your doors when driving the drunk shift.
2. Whenever you exit your vehicle take your keys and your phone.
3. Don't drive the drunk shift.
I'd add the one thing I do is always have "outs".

If picking up downtown stay in the street with your flashers on (late night you generally won't tie up traffic), or pick up at end of block, don't parallel park waiting for a pax. Do a "drive by" to see your pax, and do a quick assessment. Around bars and busy clubs try not to get blocked in by other cars and crowds.

Know which way you can turn to quickly leave, i.e. if you're on the corner of two one way streets downtown, stop on the side that lets you make the turn so you can quickly zoom away (being mindful of pedestrians too.)

If picking up in a neighborhood late at night that's not a grid, (i.e. suburban maze of streets) glance at your map app to see the streets, so you can quickly leave without having to back up, and know which way to turn to get back to the main streets/arterials.

Last edited: