Former Uber contractor gets jail time for taking free rides, food

Uberdancer

A 25-year-old former Uber contractor from Colma has been sentenced to six months in jail and five years of probation for using the ride-hailing service’s internal system to issue more than $25,000 in free rides and food deliveries for himself, his friends and family, prosecutors said Monday.

Bernie Ali Martinez received the sentence Friday after he pleaded no contest on June 26 to felony grand theft charges for a case that was reported to police after Uber discovered the theft and fired him, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office.

Martinez had been given a password to access Uber’s system and he used it to issue $25,543 in credits to himself, friends and family members to pay for rides and deliveries from the UberEATS app, often to Martinez’s home, prosecutors said.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/former-uber-contractor-gets-jail-time-taking-free-rides-food/

luvgurl22

A 25-year-old former Uber contractor from Colma has been sentenced to six months in jail and five years of probation for using the ride-hailing service’s internal system to issue more than $25,000 in free rides and food deliveries for himself, his friends and family, prosecutors said Monday.

Bernie Ali Martinez received the sentence Friday after he pleaded no contest on June 26 to felony grand theft charges for a case that was reported to police after Uber discovered the theft and fired him, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office.

Martinez had been given a password to access Uber’s system and he used it to issue $25,543 in credits to himself, friends and family members to pay for rides and deliveries from the UberEATS app, often to Martinez’s home, prosecutors said.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/former-uber-contractor-gets-jail-time-taking-free-rides-food/
Probably would have made more as a professional hacker

REX HAVOC

He's the dumb one that got caught. I'm sure there are many others that have ripped off Uber for much more and never got caught or punished. Does the name T.K. ring a bell?

Strange Fruit

Probably would have made more as a professional hacker
Cracking a system and being handed a password are entirely different skills.* He didn't even evade detection while using a password.

*Life would have continued alright if that went unsaid, but that's the sort of person I am.

luvgurl22

Cracking a system and being handed a password are entirely different skills.* He didn't even evade detection while using a password.

*Life would have continued alright if that went unsaid, but that's the sort of person I am.
All I'm saying is that he should put in a little more effort elsewhere.Anything else is better than this.