For Uber Drivers, the Key to Making More Money Could Be a Used Toyota Prius

Michael - Cleveland

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've driven a Prius and yes, they have a good amount of torque due to the electric motor. They're not as plain-Jane as some compact cars.

I can easily see why they're fleet cars. Toyota reliability with great gas mileage. Kind of a no brainer. If my career was in Uber then it would be my top choice, assuming I wasn't interested in the higher trim services.

You make $100 in 2-3 hours? Hmmm. You must be in a REALLY good market. $50-$33 an hour.
Generally I only drive a couple of hours at night these days - when it's non-stop busy and a good chance of 'tags" for anywhere from $3-$9... and the rides are just going around the block. You can do that in a city. Not so much in a suburb or in Budunk, ND.

TheDevilisaParttimer

In other words - you want to drive a car for rideshare that can out-run law enforcement.
Brilliant - I hadn't thought of that! <smh>
Hey, it's your choice. Me, I'll earn more than you for every mile I drive, and just obey the law.
My quote was to a cop car that was a Prius.

Prius’s are perfect for rideshare but seeing a Prius decked out for law enforcement was ridiculous.
7351E97C-CEDE-45EA-854A-AB097DC8A1B2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

losiglow

LoL @ arguing about car speed. Obviously it's a non-issue with RS. I like having a car with a bit of oomph but it obviously has no bearing on RS other than using more gas and pushing your overhead higher with more fuel consumption.

Frankly, I simply drive with the car I have. I'm not going to go buy a different car to do RS. I have a 2012 Acura TL, which is a fancy Honda, so it's reliable and parts are cheap. It's fun and can do Select which is icing on the cake. But if I had a Prius when I started RS, that's likely what I'd be driving now :p

TheDevilisaParttimer

LoL @ arguing about car speed. Obviously it's a non-issue with RS. I like having a car with a bit of oomph but it obviously has no bearing on RS other than using more gas and pushing your overhead higher with more fuel consumption.

Frankly, I simply drive with the car I have. I'm not going to go buy a different car to do RS. I have a 2012 Acura TL, which is a fancy Honda, so it's reliable and parts are cheap. It's fun and can do Select which is icing on the cake. But if I had a Prius when I started RS, that's likely what I'd be driving now :p
I was arguing about car speed for law enforcement not rideshare.

losiglow

I don't believe a Prius for any sort of pursuit isn't going to work well. Their high speed acceleration is poor. But the need to quickly pass someone on the freeway isn't likely to be a common scenario in RS. As a cop car however......

Could work fine for traffic cops. And kind of like the British when they need a firearm unit - they have to call it in. If a Prius patrol cruiser needed to pursue a fleeing car, they'd have to call in the Charger, Impala, Taurus, etc.

Cassiopeia

How did you become a moderator, you’re not very bright. My quote was to a cop car that was a Prius.

Prius’s are perfect for rideshare but seeing a Prius decked out for law enforcement was ridiculous. View attachment 358467
Arguing with personal insults is always a winning tactic. I've seen the Prius as a cop car multiple times. It's not like the thing has a top speed of 60mph. 0-60 is only one factor in a car chase. How about the range? Your Hollywood criminal running from the cops is gonna run out of gas!

Michael - Cleveland

A Prius is not a Tesla. They are not the same at all.

I say a slow Nissan Altima is uncatchable by a Prius. Here’s proof for you “experts” ?

View attachment 358466
right - AWD SV - but that's besides the point. You don't drive to CATCH anything when driving rideshare.
Do you not understand that? You also don't seem to understand that the 2.5 seconds difference between the Altima and the Prius is all in those last 2.5 seconds. Up till the city/residential speed limit of 35 MPH the Prius is right there - or ahead of - the Altima.
You may need to 'beat someone off the line' once in a while, in order to get into the lane you want - and you will do that every time in a Prius because the car next to you isn't expecting you to take off.

1568919891714.png

Post automatically merged:

My quote was to a cop car that was a Prius.

Prius’s are perfect for rideshare but seeing a Prius decked out for law enforcement was ridiculous. View attachment 358467
Who, in this thread, ever suggested using a Prius as a 'cop car'? And what does that have to do with the topic of the thread, which is using a Prius to make a profit in rideshare.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

UberX? Are these the rates for you in Louisville?

UberX
Base Fare: $1
Per Minute: $0.15
Per Mile: $0.95
Cancellation Fee: $5
Service Fee: $1.60
Yeap, UberX in Louisville, KY - Some include surge that aren't marked.

Here's what I see:
Base Fare: $0.75
Per Minute: $0.1125
Per Mile: $0.7576
Cancellation Fee: $3.75
Service Fee: $Variable - Changes every time
Booking Fee: $Variable - Changes every time

Michael - Cleveland

Why? What does that have to do with the thread?
If you want to make that case (and I'd likely agree with you for most cases) do it somewhere other than the NEWS section. You are Hijacking this thread with irrelevant nonsense.

Michael - Cleveland

Actually I was only responding to what Cassiopeia posted. He brought up Prius’s as cop cars
I'll leave it local LE to determine what works for them.

lol... yeah - back on track now due to cooperation from ALL.

I get what you're saying - but you're ignoring that cops use all kinds of transport, including horseback, bicycles and Segways.
The right tool for the job (and here comes the relevant part...) The very reason that many police Dept's use Priuses as part of their 'fleet' of vehicles is because they cost less to operate, saving the dep'ts a lot of money... just as they do rideshare drivers.

Last edited:

mikees3

For sure. Didn't read the whole article but anything to reduce overhead is good :thumbup:

I enjoy driving a car that's a bit more fun and comfortable. That costs me more in overhead. But it's worth the added cost for me. And Select rides make up for some of that. I couldn't drive a Prius around for more than a couple hours before I went crazy. Props to you that can.
If it’s that your car in the dp I wouldn’t really say a TL is “fun” car but I get what ur saying Prius is for the FT guys

Michael - Cleveland

I don't believe a Prius for any sort of pursuit isn't going to work well.
Hey, in my Prius I have have caught up with 8 of the 10 joggers I was chasing.

If it’s that your car in the dp I wouldn’t really say a TL is “fun” car but I get what ur saying Prius is for the FT guys
I bought mine to use so I could X rides again (was doing only XL & Select) - but I have never driven FT. I ended up liking the Prius so much I sold my minivan (XL), sedan(Select) and SUV (XL & SELECT) - and bought a second Prius. I now drive the Prius for nearly all of my personal driving (except when it's time for top-down or 'track' driving, lol). It's been a year and I've said over $200/mo in fuel compared to driving my 16 MPG Acadia. I'm just now looking to get another cheap minivan (for XL). So, I'm not sure that a used Prius os ony for FT. At least for me, it's for 'anytime'.

Last edited:

TheDevilisaParttimer

Challenge accepted......Here's my data from Friday and Saturday night.

Average cost of rider is $4.56/mi. Average paid to driver is $2.48/mi (Average 44.53% take rate by Uber). Gotta think this is on the high end of markets worldwide, but who knows. This is a small sample of 34 rides.

View attachment 358463

Couple interesting points there.....Ride #4 on the 14th....Uber paid me more than it collected. No idea why. Also noticed a few times that a "minimum fare supplement" was paid as well as surge pricing. Seems counter-intuitive, but I'll take their money.

I'm working on putting my entire Uber Career into this spreadsheet. I might toss this on Google Sheets so it's easier to share.....we'll see.
Sorry I missed this post some how ?

Your numbers look to be a about typical to me but I’m not sure how this offers evidence of a cost of $1.40/mile to driver(if that was your intent)

Anyway like the spreadsheet.

2kwik4u

Sorry I missed this post some how ?

Your numbers look to be a about typical to me but I’m not sure how this offers evidence of a cost of $1.40/mile to driver(if that was your intent)

Anyway like the spreadsheet.
That was the intent. However, upon thinking about it more this isn't really a cost per driver it's closer to Ubers income per driver per mile. I was thinking backwards earlier.

Cost per driver is different. Interestingly enough though if you take the articles $1.90/mi driver earnings and compare it to the $1.45/mi cost.....it shows that same ellusive 30% take rate they keep claiming.

Even my data shows that to be incorrect.