For those who are already receiving unemployment benefits, and to those who likely will be approved, I truly urge you all to use the time productively

Increasing Productivity In Our Down Time.

Time to Rethink
Screenshot_20200515-165653_Gallery.jpg

As I have been reading many of the thoughtful posts across this forum, I have tried my personal best to help and deliver any advice which I feel could help. I wish to speak on an issue I have touched on previously, but with greater emphasis. Author Mark Twain is attributed to saying, "History may not precisely repeat, but it does often rhyme." Driving part time for Uber for years has made it clear that the overall payout and rewards for the driver/partner have been in steady decline. Please note that this is not a diatribe or attack on Uber. I understand that it is my (and anyone's) personal choice to continue to drive, as nobody is forcing me. And driving for Uber has great advantages, such as being able to work whenever you want and wherever you want, full OR part time. (For myself, I do many other part time "gig work" like teaching/tutoring science, buying and selling on eBay, writing books, investing, etc.)

The Good Ol' Days
candy-2367056_1280 (1).jpg

It should be relatively clear that the overall payouts/rewards of being an Uber driver have been on a noticeable and steady decline for years, and I do not anticipate it getting much better in the future. There are many examples of this that I alluded to in previous posts. Just to name a few, in the beginning there was a nice feature where the driver was guaranteed $30/hr in fares (which was nice because you didn't have to concern yourself with your location if a ride brings you far away from the city's "hot zone"). There were many bonuses (at least in Chicago) like the Quest Promotion which could be significant. There were two such Quest Promotions, one for the weekdays and another for the weekends. There were "consecutive ride bonuses" as well.

Surge Multipliers, Remember Those?
Screenshot_2016-07-28-22-45-20 (1) (1).png

Photo courtesy of @SuperWagon

I also recall one where if you did like 8 rides during rush hour, a bonus would be added. Most importantly, there were a LOT of surges (esp. during peak hours). They would be 2x, 3x, sometimes 4x or more, and only one such ride would make a driver's entire day/night. (Now, it surges relatively little, and when it does it simply adds a nominal fee like $1.50 or $2.50). Also, before there seemed to be many more ride requests in years past. All of the aforementioned bonuses/promotions/ride surges of 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. are gone. We can hope and speculate they will all return, but I am not holding my breath.

Proceed With Caution
2020-05-15-17-53-37.jpg

With reasons I and others have outlined before, this terrible pandemic will perhaps worsen (albeit possibly temporarily) the drivers' dilemma. When one sees and observes a trend that is persistent and ongoing, it is not illogical to assume such a trend will continue. Therefore, I believe that caution and care is in order, even while being sanguine that our situation may ultimately improve. I thought about the writing of this post as I considered my friend "D" who is already taking a road trip across the U.S. And he told me he plans a trip to Peru afterwards. There is NOTHING wrong I feel about taking a much needed break from doing rideshare, but what alarmed me was that he has absolutely no regard to what may be coming. If ridership does not return in a timely fashion coupled with a possible dramatic increase in new drivers, his lack of planning may prove costly (as this is his ONLY source of income).

Build Your Knowledge
Screenshot_20200515-175631_Gallery.jpg

I don't feel any need to urge people to quit doing rideshare for U/L, but I strongly encourage the current drivers who will have a lot more time on their hands to pursue other avenues of income by acquiring new skills or building upon those they are already in possession of. I feel actually that ALL workers in the near future should be nimble... and I posit that the rise of the "self employed"/"gig worker" will only increase, as large corporations are not very loyal to their employees in the current day and age. There are so many free or low cost avenues to explore with the ubiquitous presence of the Internet, so I feel it may be wise to pursue such avenues since receiving unemployment will allow them time for self exploration and self improvement which are marketable. For example, for many drivers there is free tuition at Arizona State University (in a partnership with Uber), there are also many free online courses which will teach you how to build a website using HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, and Ruby on Rails, some YouTube video teach you how to work on carpentry, etc. In addition there are many university courses absolutely free to audit on Coursera.

A Sense of Community
Screenshot_20200515-180307_Gallery.jpg

I feel somewhat a part of a family here, as I believe the vast majority of us on this forum are here to help and support each other. Therefore, I ask humbly that people should use part of their time off (due to receiving unemployment) not to completely use it for pleasure. I repeat I have no issue with that line of thinking. We drivers (full time and part time) have not received ANY paid time off or benefits, so morally there is no consideration I can assess or judge if someone wishes to take a weeks long vacation. And if many do enjoy working for Uber/Lyft, I urge them to continue to do so after the unemployment stops and life endeavors to return to normal. I do not believe Uber or Lyft are unscrupulous companies "out to get us". They are providing us income, and while we may question their some of their practices, they do offer us drivers many benefits of freedom and liberty.

In conclusion, I do advise my friends here to explore and assess any possible new marketable skills (which can be acquired for free or next to no money), to improve and buttress one's future earnings prospects, as the income from Uber and Lyft may likely continue to face dramatic challenges steadily into the future. Thanks for reading, Godspeed everyone! :smiles:

Last edited:

Comments

As I have been reading many of the thoughtful posts across this forum, I have tried my personal best to help and deliver any advice which I feel could help. I wish to speak on an issue I have touched on previously, but with greater emphasis. Author Mark Twain is attributed to saying, "History may not precisely repeat, but it does often rhyme." Driving part time for Uber for years has made it clear that the overall payout and rewards for the driver/partner have been in steady decline. Please note that this is not a diatribe or attack on Uber. I understand that it is my (and anyone's) personal choice to continue to drive, as nobody is forcing me. And driving for Uber has great advantages, such as being able to work whenever you want and wherever you want, full OR part time. (For myself, I do many other part time "gig work" like teaching/tutoring science, buying and selling on eBay, writing books, investing, etc.)

It should be relatively clear that the overall payouts/rewards of being an Uber driver have been on a noticeable and steady decline for years, and I do not anticipate it getting much better in the future. There are many examples of this that I alluded to in previous posts. Just to name a few, in the beginning there was a nice feature where the driver was guaranteed $30/hr in fares (which was nice because you didn't have to concern yourself with your location if a ride brings you far away from the city's "hot zone"). There were many bonuses (at least in Chicago) like the Quest Promotion which could be significant. There were two such Quest Promotions, one for the weekdays and another for the weekends. There were "consecutive ride bonuses" as well.

I also recall one where if you did like 8 rides during rush hour, a bonus would be added. Most importantly, there were a LOT of surges (esp. during peak hours). They would be 2x, 3x, sometimes 4x or more, and only one such ride would make a driver's entire day/night. (Now, it surges relatively little, and when it does it simply adds a nominal fee like $1.50 or $2.50). Also, before there seemed to be many more ride requests in years past. All of the aforementioned bonuses/promotions/ride surges of 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. are gone. We can hope and speculate they will all return, but I am not holding my breath.

With reasons I and others have outlined before, this terrible pandemic will perhaps worsen (albeit possibly temporarily) the drivers' dilemma. When one sees and observes a trend that is persistent and ongoing, it is not illogical to assume such a trend will continue. Therefore, I believe that caution and care is in order, even while being sanguine that our situation may ultimately improve. I thought about the writing of this post as I considered my friend "D" who is already taking a road trip across the U.S. And he told me he plans a trip to Peru afterwards. There is NOTHING wrong I feel about taking a much needed break from doing rideshare, but what alarmed me was that he has absolutely no regard to what may be coming. If ridership does not return in a timely fashion coupled with a possible dramatic increase in new drivers, his lack of planning may prove costly (as this is his ONLY source of income).

I don't feel any need to urge people to quit doing rideshare for U/L, but I strongly encourage the current drivers who will have a lot more time on their hands to pursue other avenues of income by acquiring new skills or building upon those they are already in possession of. I feel actually that ALL workers in the near future should be nimble... and I posit that the rise of the "self employed"/"gig worker" will only increase, as large corporations are not very loyal to their employees in the current day and age. There are so many free or low cost avenues to explore with the ubiquitous presence of the Internet, so I feel it may be wise to pursue such avenues since receiving unemployment will allow them time for self exploration and self improvement which are marketable. For example, for many drivers there is free tuition at Arizona State University (in a partnership with Uber), there are also many free online courses which will teach you how to build a website using HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, and Ruby on Rails, some YouTube video teach you how to work on carpentry, etc. In addition there are many university courses absolutely free to audit on Coursera.

I feel somewhat a part of a family here, as I believe the vast majority of us on this forum are here to help and support each other. Therefore, I ask humbly that people should use part of their time off (due to receiving unemployment) not to completely use it for pleasure. I repeat I have no issue with that line of thinking. We drivers (full time and part time) have not received ANY paid time off or benefits, so morally there is no consideration I can assess or judge if someone wishes to take a weeks long vacation. And if many do enjoy working for Uber/Lyft, I urge them to continue to do so after the unemployment stops and life endeavors to return to normal. I do not believe Uber or Lyft are unscrupulous companies "out to get us". They are providing us income, and while we may question their some of their practices, they do offer us drivers many benefits of freedom and liberty. In conclusion, I do advise my friends here to explore and assess any possible new marketable skills (which can be acquired for free or next to no money), to improve and buttress one's future earnings prospects, as the income from Uber and Lyft may likely continue to face dramatic challenges steadily into the future. Thanks for reading, Godspeed everyone! :smiles:
A breath of fresh air. Someone advocating improvement of job situation through marketable skills, without being gloaty or condescending.

Beautifully written post and I agree with you. I’m sure most are taking advantage of the time off or hustling to make ends meet. You used the word sanguine in a sentence +1.

That's where you're wrong bucko.
I would argue they're not out to get us, they just see us as a means to an end. It's like someone eating chicken: They're not "out to get" the chicken as far as feeling any ill will toward it, most don't even think about the chicken as a living being at all.

We're just meat. We're around to make them fat, and they don't think about us except when we do something annoying, like the chicken who gets off the conveyer belt as his head is about to be chopped off. Then we get attention, but it's not good and it's not for OUR benefit.

Time to Rethink
View attachment 462364

The Good Ol' Days
View attachment 462366

View attachment 462367

Proceed With Caution
View attachment 462368

Build Your Knowledge
View attachment 462371

A Sense of Community
View attachment 462372

I feel somewhat a part of a family here, as I believe the vast majority of us on this forum are here to help and support each other. Therefore, I ask humbly that people should use part of their time off (due to receiving unemployment) not to completely use it for pleasure. I repeat I have no issue with that line of thinking. We drivers (full time and part time) have not received ANY paid time off or benefits, so morally there is no consideration I can assess or judge if someone wishes to take a weeks long vacation. And if many do enjoy working for Uber/Lyft, I urge them to continue to do so after the unemployment stops and life endeavors to return to normal. I do not believe Uber or Lyft are unscrupulous companies "out to get us". They are providing us income, and while we may question their some of their practices, they do offer us drivers many benefits of freedom and liberty.

In conclusion, I do advise my friends here to explore and assess any possible new marketable skills (which can be acquired for free or next to no money), to improve and buttress one's future earnings prospects, as the income from Uber and Lyft may likely continue to face dramatic challenges steadily into the future. Thanks for reading, Godspeed everyone! :smiles:
Great words of advice. As I posted a few days ago, I believe by next year (Jan.) or maybe before that rideshare drivers will be back to pre-covid earnings. However, you're right, better to be prepared. My grandfather use to say "plan your work. and work your plan".

• Article Author Article Author
Great words of advice. As I posted a few days ago, I believe by next year (Jan.) or maybe before that rideshare drivers will be back to pre-covid earnings. However, you're right, better to be prepared. My grandfather use to say "plan your work. and work your plan".
Indeed, there are good reasons to be optimistic. I believe in the resiliency of our great country, and the divine traits of patience and fortitude. Earnings may return to normal in time... And your penultimate sentence reminds me of my Boy Scout days' motto, "Be Prepared." Hence the reason for my post.

There is always time and room for gaining knowledge, even while doing rideshare. For example, when I work, I have a "collar Bluetooth" where I have my left earbud on and listen to informative YouTube videos and podcasts (my right earbud is always off so I can hear the passengers and sounds of traffic). Since I also teach, I listen to novel university lectures in Physics and also channels on the financial markets. There, I gain greater knowledge of subjects that help me in my other "gig work". You can download for free many "YouTube floating apps", where you can minimize the screen so only the audio comes through. For example, if you are interested in math or history, you can type in the subject in the small window of the app. Then you can minimize the screen so only a tiny button remains, as to not distract you from your vision. This is just one tip that I use to always be improving my knowledge base. Be well my brothers and sisters. I send everyone so much love and light... 🥰

Good advice to keep productive. I've been home for 2 months now (still waiting for unemployment to come through), but I've been keeping myself busy. I've finally gotten some home improvement projects done that have been waiting for a long time, and have been working daily on refinishing old furniture, which has been a slow hobby of mine. In my travels as a driver, I see all the furniture people throw out, and for the last few years I've been grabbing furniture out of people's trash piles to bring home, refinish, then sell. So now I'm doing that all day. Not really making any money at it, but my goal is to make enough to pay my property taxes in July. I also finally started an Instagram page for my furniture and have been working to gain followers.

Dear Atom guy, I simply respond to you the way a proper Brit would, "Brilliant!":wink: If you work on and refine your talent fixing furniture, I believe it WILL become a profitable and fulfilling "side gig" (make sure to post on free sites like Craigslist). I too always had the same mindset as you are demonstrating. Even as a young child, I would think of (and do) "side gigs" like selling magazines, seeds, etc. door to door. And both in college and then in medical school, I figured I was learning didactic methods anyways, so I enjoyed teaching college prep, and then in grad school more advanced subjects. Since I am always working due to the sheer joy of it, I thought of Ubering part time sort of as continuing adult education in a course in "urban anthropology" (and I also can listen WHILE driving to podcasts on finance, investing, and math to buttress by knowledge in those "side gigs"). I even learned to cut hair from watching a YouTube video on my couch and was paid to cut friends' hair later!

If one searches within, there is a universe of potential (and vast free knowledge available on the Internet for cultivation). It is not solely about the money, at least for me. If one is being freely paid by another member in society, it could be considered as a measure that the action is serving others. I applaud you again in your actions. Be well! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Dear Atom guy, I simply respond to you the way a proper Brit would, "Brilliant!":wink: If you work on and refine your talent fixing furniture, I believe it WILL become a profitable and fulfilling "side gig" (make sure to post on free sites like Craigslist). I too always had the same mindset as you are demonstrating. Even as a young child, I would think of (and do) "side gigs" like selling magazines, seeds, etc. door to door. And both in college and then in medical school, I figured I was learning didactic methods anyways, so I enjoyed teaching college prep, and then in grad school more advanced subjects. Since I am always working due to the sheer joy of it, I thought of Ubering sort of as continuing adult education in a course in "urban anthropology". I even learned to cut hair from a YouTube video and was paid to cut friends' hair!

If one searches within, there is a universe of potential (and vast free knowledge available on the Internet for cultivation). It is not solely about the money, at least for me. If one is being paid by another member in society, it is a measure that the action is serving others. I applaud you again in your actions. Be well! :thumbup:
😂 The main way I've been finding my furniture is to be driving around ubering. So now I have to make special trips out to go looking lol

Now, we're talking MAX productivity. I'm very impressed my brother! You made my day!:roflmao:

Time to Rethink
View attachment 462364

The Good Ol' Days
View attachment 462366

View attachment 462367

Proceed With Caution
View attachment 462368

Build Your Knowledge
View attachment 462371

A Sense of Community
View attachment 462372

This is a lecture.