• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

For the Last Time

BBslider001

Uber and pax, I and we are NOT a @@@@ing medical transport service. That is all.

I picked up my last person from the medical buildings behind Tri-City in Oceanside yesterday. Last week I picked up a lady who had just been through cardiac testing. While she started getting dizzy in my car, I told her I was going to call 911 and she begged me not to because she couldn't afford another 911 exorbitant bill. I was a paramedic for SD county for 5 years and I am currently in the process of getting re certified, but that does NOT mean I want to deal with this horsechit out of my personal vehicle. Now, it isn't entirely Uber's fault. They have no idea the person requesting is a patient from a doctor's office. But the pax got a lesson and an earful form me yesterday about liability and that we are not a wheelchair or a medical van. That's huge liability on us. This last pax needed help lifting his legs to get in my car, needed his walker stowed away, needed to hold onto me to walk the 2 feet from his walker etc, etc....The Good Samaritan law does not always protect those who try to help outside the scope of proper training.

Anyways, rant over for now. I know now to cancel rides anywhere near the hospital and medical facilities. I know I wasn't the most customer service oriented on this ride. I saw the guy as I drove by and should have cancelled, but my conscience wouldn't let me leave him sitting there. And yes, I got a 1 star and a complaint LOL....WTF ever. Lesson learned.

Don't swim in pools

I was new to rideshare when I was burdened with a few of those rides on Lyft, not knowing any better.... but now, I wouldn’t dare take one!

Haha. I have learned to game the system with them. All I will say is ask some detailed questions and play dumb everytime you do it. It's a very dishonest tactic but lucrative if you choose to do it. And the same strategy can be applied to car dealerships. I cant say more or they will fix it or start tracking things better.

However yes, the people using it as an ambulance instead of a normal ride to the doctor need to be kicked off the system. It's in the contract if I remember right that it's not to replace normal emergency medical transport.

BBslider001

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha. I have learned to game the system with them. All I will say is ask some detailed questions and play dumb everytime you do it. It's a very dishonest tactic but lucrative if you choose to do it. And the same strategy can be applied to car dealerships. I cant say more or they will fix it or start tracking things better.

However yes, the people using it as an ambulance instead of a normal ride to the doctor need to be kicked off the system. It's in the contract if I remember right that it's not to replace normal emergency medical transport.
Yup, I no longer will feel sorry for these individuals. Get a med transport van. I am not it.

Don't swim in pools

I live near a dialysis place and get those requests often. It’s from a middle man operation even. F them. They make huge profit and use cheap Uber rides to provide the services. Assholes
Think outside the box to what you just said and you will discover the key. Like seriously think word for word about what you said because it's in there. Haha. I dont mind these rides once I discovered the key.

Transportador

Think outside the box to what you just said and you will discover the key. Like seriously think word for word about what you said because it's in there. Haha. I dont mind these rides once I discovered the key.
If you are talking about cleaning fee claims and long hauling these trips or just driving slow I get it. But I still don’t want them due to the high probability of a medical emergency or worse. I have done my share of ER pickups, Gogo Grandparents trips to know I don’t want them

Don't swim in pools

If you are talking about cleaning fee claims and long hauling these trips or just driving slow I get it. But I still don’t want them due to the high probability of a medical emergency or worse. I have done my share of ER pickups, Gogo Grandparents trips to know I don’t want them
You said middleman. 3rd party. Think about it..... now have fun!

BBslider001

Right there with you....in ALL aspects
Post automatically merged:

You said middleman. 3rd party. Think about it..... now have fun!
Jesus I HATE riddles...move on

Don't swim in pools

Right there with you....in ALL aspects

Jesus I HATE riddles...move on
Not a riddle. It's a clue. Big difference. It's one of those things like you stole something but you cant talk about it or you get caught. If you figure it out its another trick in the tool box.

Transportador

Not a riddle. It's a clue. Big difference. It's one of those things like you stole something but you cant talk about it or you get caught. If you figure it out its another trick in the tool box.
Easy cancellation fee on 3rd partt rides especially with sick riders. Kinda mean though

We can sure talk about it

DirtyRead

Malcolm in the middle was a pretty steady show and helped a lot of careers.

Going back to what Transportador said about emergencies and liability I seem to remember an issue in 2016 one of our San Diego drivers had. If I recall it was something simple like he opened the door or something and the person fell and cracked their head. The drunk pax then sued him. Anybody remember this? Anyway point is we really have to be careful. Nurses get sued for giving aide to people in accidents on their way to work all the time. Sucks but it happens

BBslider001

Yup, the first they teach you in Paramedic school is the Good Samaritan Law....and DON'T be a Good Samaritan

Declineathon

Uber and pax, I and we are NOT a @@@@ing medical transport service. That is all.

I picked up my last person from the medical buildings behind Tri-City in Oceanside yesterday. Last week I picked up a lady who had just been through cardiac testing. While she started getting dizzy in my car, I told her I was going to call 911 and she begged me not to because she couldn't afford another 911 exorbitant bill. I was a paramedic for SD county for 5 years and I am currently in the process of getting re certified, but that does NOT mean I want to deal with this horsechit out of my personal vehicle. Now, it isn't entirely Uber's fault. They have no idea the person requesting is a patient from a doctor's office. But the pax got a lesson and an earful form me yesterday about liability and that we are not a wheelchair or a medical van. That's huge liability on us. This last pax needed help lifting his legs to get in my car, needed his walker stowed away, needed to hold onto me to walk the 2 feet from his walker etc, etc....The Good Samaritan law does not always protect those who try to help outside the scope of proper training.

Anyways, rant over for now. I know now to cancel rides anywhere near the hospital and medical facilities. I know I wasn't the most customer service oriented on this ride. I saw the guy as I drove by and should have cancelled, but my conscience wouldn't let me leave him sitting there. And yes, I got a 1 star and a complaint LOL....WTF ever. Lesson learned.
I hear ya mate, this job appeals to many, drivers for various reasons.

But, one common denominator is that we like helping people.

On the flip side, U/L empowers passengers to decry discrimination and immediately get one of us fired and the rest of us scared.

Most of us have been taken advantage by pax by now, and have set up some boundaries.

I think its great that the OP shared this all too familiar scenario, and hopefully fortified and emboldened us to draw that line in the sand between our desire to earn money helping our community, and refusing to become part of the problem.

Last edited:

kevin92009

Lyft encourages using our personal cars as medical transport that’s why they signed us up with gogo grandparent and that’s why they push Medical / Medicare programs in their Business campaigns .they actively encourage doctors offices to sign contracts with lyft.

Transportador

I have had a 90 year old lady fell and hit her head while her 80 year old friend and I were helping her with her walker. She just let go of the handles for some weird reason. She was "fighting" with her friend! That ride made me $15 and took 1 hour because of that fiasco. And I'm glad she wasn't hurt, God bless.

I have had a drug abuser looking for a half way house in the middle of the night in Oakland! The ER dumped him out, and I was his last hope to get to that house that night. We both could have been shot and killed.

I have had guys that have been in a brawl and the police told them to take an Uber home before they get arrested. They were so glad I picked them up, the guy kept tapping my shoulder while talking on the ride. I got home with blood all over my white shirt and car seats! He did tip $20 but it was crazy.

I have had a drunk guy dumped on me by an ER nurse. He was calm for the first 5 minutes if the ride, then woke up in the middle of the freeway asking in a freaked out manner who the hell I was and where was I taking him. I calmed him down while doing 70 MPH on I-280. I feared he might jumped out of the car or beat me up. He was kinda psychopathic.

Seriously folks, DO NOT do these rides. Not worth it. Very risky to say the least.

BTW, I work in medical device. We know that on weekend nights, the cops dump the drunks and drug heads on the ER nurses, the ER nurses dump them on Taxis, and now U/L drivers. Stay away and stay safe.