1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

For Tablet Users: A Solution For Randomized Numbers

Discussion in 'Technology' started by steveK2016, Dec 10, 2016.

1. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    So I started my weekend of Ubering yesterday and discovered that yes, they have officially changed the system to randomize the phone numbers to contact pax.

At first, I was upset. That was lessened when all day I was receiving non-stop pings. Didn't have a chance to feel upset!

Once I had a chance to take a break, I looked up solutions and I found one.

Tablet Talk - $2.99
    [​IMG]
    Yes it's a paid app but if you are a tablet user, it's 100% worth it!

What it basically does is when you attempt to make a call with your tablet, it redirects the call to your phone via Bluetooth. This bluetooth connection does not disconnect the phone from your vehicle's bluetooth so you'll still be able to hear and speak with that bluetooth connectivity.

The beautiful thing is, that you just click "Contact" then "Call". It then open ups the Tablet Talk with the number inputted. You hit "Dial" and it starts the call on your phone. It even keeps an overlay on the Tablet where you can end the call from there. You don't even have to touch your phone ever again! Your phone can stay in your pocket!

Text works the exact same way, you click "Text" and it sends you to Tablet Talk. You type your message and it sends the text via the Bluetooth, and when you receive a text on your phone it shows up on your Tablet., Beautifully written software!

Two things to help you with your installation that I had to learn from trial and error:
    1. Connect your devices via Bluetooth natively (through the device's Bluetooth settings). Once they've discovered each other then go into the app and attempt to connect. They'll find each other rather instantly.
    2. Some devices with data plans already allow text messaging, so when you click "Text" in the Uber app it may take you to the default Text Message App. Go into your Settings, then Apps, then the Text App. Open Default Settings and clear out any defaults. Now when you go back to the Uber App and hit "Text" it'll ask you which app you want as default, with Tablet Talk being one of the options.
    Now the tablet will work as if it's a phone, using your phone to actually make the call and text. It basically mirrors your phone's capabilities. The number shown and received will be your phone's number that's registered with Uber.

You only have to buy the app once on one device (as long as the App Stores are linked). Once you buy it on one, go to the app store on the second (both devices need it installed) and go to your "All Apps" option, you should see it available as "Purchased".

2. jfinks

jfinks Active Member

I have found the number change to not be an issue. I run my tablet off my cell's blue tooth. Calls still come in on my cell and I can message using the uber partner app to initiate call/text.

3. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Of course incoming isn't the issue but at least with my tablet, it won't let you initiate calls natively. I can send text as my tablet has it's own data plan but since it has a different number, Uber prevents numbers not registered to sent messages.

Your tablet may already have a built in capability that's similar Tablet Talk, in which case, you are fortunate. For those that do not, this does it for you.

4. jfinks

jfinks Active Member

No, I am saying I don't use the tablet for any type of comm. The Uber partner app will run on the tablet and cell phone concurrently. Just use cell phone for communicating.

5. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You might have something built in that youre not aware of. On my android, if i try to log onto my phone while on my tablet itll prevent me from doing so. Theres no way to get the pax number to make the call or text from on the phone app.

You got lucky if you can run the app on two devices at once.

6. jfinks

jfinks Active Member

Ya order of going online on both device matters, and if you already on a trip it won't let you. So you have to get them both online early. I don't have anything special on either. I generally have my tablet online and then the phone. Sometimes the phone goes online by itself because I rarely touch it through the time online and I will find that it is online sometimes.

7. Smashup

Smashup Active Member

I've definitely seen that happen and it's annoying when it does!

8. Charlie Schwartz

Charlie Schwartz Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Update is good. Since the update I have never had a "welcome to uber. please enter the number associated with your account... (enters number) we are unable to connect your call because you are calling from a number that is not registered on your account... (untrue)"

I was never able to contact pax in-app. Aside from google call forwarding, my phone is simply not connected to my tab. I plan on ditching my phone completely quite soon, but Uber is an obstacle to that.

9. zestymouse

zestymouse New Member

Invaluable info... Thank you! How are you able to log on simultaneously with both devices? I've never been able to... is there a trick? (Android)

10. Rufusruffington

Rufusruffington New Member

Tablet talk is awesome. I couldn't imagine ubering without it.

With tablet talk, you don't need to be online with both devices. your tablet controls your phone via bluetooth, or wifi (your choice). all your contacts, texts, and call history syncs to your tablet and use just use that

11. 781623

781623 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I did not find Tablet Talk in the app store.

12. Rufusruffington

Rufusruffington New Member

I can't link it (new account) but it's right there

Attached Files:

13. Charlie Schwartz

Charlie Schwartz Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
  14. painfreepc

painfreepc Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Tablet Talk is God damn awesome

15. painfreepc

Driving:
    UberX
    ( only criticism I have is it doesn't seem to work for Lyft at all and I do occasionally have to answer the call manually via the cell phone but other than it is fantastic)

This app is so freaking awesome I almost want to cry,

Used to be when a customer send me a text I would have to reach over to my phone and actually open the text messenger so I can see the customers message as I was only giving a notification no chance to actually read the message,

Now a customer's text message is immediately shown right in the middle of my 8-inch tablet and I can send a reply from the same pop-up without having to touch my phone,

Everything is done via tablet, the tablet controlled the phone via Bluetooth, the phone is still transmitted to my Ford auto sync via Bluetooth I do not need to touch the phone, there is the option to use Wifi instead of Bluetooth but I have not tried it or set it up,

Guess a quick reminder:

The table talk app must be installed on both devices your tablet and your phone,

Your Bluetooth setup from your phone to your car or your earpiece device stays the same you do not change that,

You're going to pair your tablet to your phone, make sure tablet talk app are on your tablet and your phone,

On the Tablet Talk app in both your phone and your tablet make sure settings is set for Bluetooth,

Connect your smartphone to your car or earpiece device, like you normally do now,

Now on your smartphone within the Tablet Talk app enable discovery,

Now on your tablet within the Tablet Talk app press connect

The tablet will try to discover your smartphone via Bluetooth and everything should connect,

The are settings within the Tablet Talk app that you may want to tweet to your liking,

If you can't connect 2 Bluetooth devices to your smartphone you are probably S.O.L
    unless you can get the wifi function to work..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  16. Dallas007

Dallas007 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I use and iPad and Blackberry cell ; any apps to try with this (odd, i admit) combination.
    ... in the mean time, I will just keep re-entering the random number into my cell to call pax when necessary

17. painfreepc

Driving:
    UberX
    an iPad in a Blackberry good luck with that