(For some drivers) Are you not afraid of paying penalty and of paying back all of your already received PUA benefits?

Wildgoose

I know some drivers have been still driving while receiving PUA benefits at the same time. I am worried that IRS and state find out about that when you file 2020 tax return and they will consider it as fraud. And they would be asking the money back and charged big fat penalty or might go to jail. I am concerned about it and wonder if they are not scared of facing with that kind of issue in 2021? Or it won't never happen? The thing is you can't cheat on your income (unless you make considerably less in the whole year) when someone is giving out your income statements in legal form.

Illini

I drive and the state is aware of it. These unemployment benefits are also for the "underemployed". In otherwords, you can work and still get benefits, but there is a limit to what you can earn. In any case, my state (IL) knows exactly what I'm earning.

Wildgoose

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
AS long as your report your 'correct' earnings each time you certify you are covered. Now, if one isn't or is under reporting: UH, oh at some time in the future.
I did work somewhere and reported $240 a week earning for two weeks, then it clarified as I made excessive earning and I didn't even get a penny. 😭😭

NicFit

I didn’t work or earn income while I collected my PUA so I’m not really worried about fraud. Also I plan on maybe working after the $600 runs out but if I do I will report my full earnings, if they say I don’t get money then I’m not going to sweat it. I have enough in the bank so I don’t need to work until next summer anyway

Christinebitg

I've had a couple of assignments from my side gig. I reported my earnings, because I don't want any government agency asking me questions that I'd rather not have to answer.

Yeah, it cost me some benefits. That's just how it works.

In a "normal" unemployment situation, those benefits get pushed out toward the end of when you're running out of benefits to be able to claim. I don't have any reason to think that's the case for this situation though.

DarkBerry

I heard some people are driving full time making 1-2k per week on Uber and still collecting PUA. That may be a problem in the future. That will be interesting to see if they get penalized but that won’t be until some time after tax time 2021. Out of sight out of mind I guess 🤣

Wildgoose

I heard some people are driving full time making 1-2k per week on Uber and still collecting PUA. That may be a problem in the future. That will be interesting to see if they get penalized but that won’t be until some time after tax time 2021. Out of sight out of mind I guess 🤣
That's exactly about when I am thinking of them. All the money came from PUA will gone plus penalized. It will not be a good thing to face with.

NicFit

These gig apps will submit earning to the states, right now won’t be an issue but they will connect the dots. They will have to pay it all back, not worth risking jail time over. California edd site has a list they publish of all the people they charge with fraud. They might not be fast but they will catch up eventually

I know some drivers have been still driving while receiving PUA benefits at the same time. I am worried that IRS and state find out about that when you file 2020 tax return and they will consider it as fraud. And they would be asking the money back and charged big fat penalty or might go to jail. I am concerned about it and wonder if they are not scared of facing with that kind of issue in 2021? Or it won't never happen? The thing is you can't cheat on your income (unless you make considerably less in the whole year) when someone is giving out your income statements in legal form.
According to MCH I am the one who still govern money. I guess those you double dip are fine for him . Go figure 🤔

Invisible

In my state, you’re allowed to work p/t and receive unemployment. I did a part-time job, not R/S, and I reported the earnings I made. Unemployment deducted those earnings and reduced my PUA for the weeks I worked. I haven’t done R/S since middle of March, which unemployment knew.

I don’t understand why you’re concerned about penalties or jail time, UNLESS you had earnings you didn’t report. If you didn’t report earnings while receiving unemployment, you’re going to have big problems in the future.

Wildgoose

In my state, you’re allowed to work p/t and receive unemployment. I did a part-time job, not R/S, and I reported the earnings I made. Unemployment deducted those earnings and reduced my PUA for the weeks I worked. I haven’t done R/S since middle of March, which unemployment knew.

I don’t understand why you’re concerned about penalties or jail time, UNLESS you had earnings you didn’t report. If you didn’t report earnings while receiving unemployment, you’re going to have big problems in the future.
Not for me. I am trying to think of the reason why some drivers have been driving working so hard full time but they would face with big problem in future.
Post automatically merged:

They would also lose driving privileged as well. Why need to risk?