For how long do you keep videos recorded by dash cam?

Seamus

Sometimes complaints come in a week or two after the fact. 3 days isn’t long enough. All rides I kept for 30 days and if there was a problem on a particular ride then forever.

In 3 years I’ve kept 6 in the forever file.

Classified

I don’t use a dashcam. But you should Change settings to loop, so it will overwrite the oldest videos.and only keep the current ones.

And you don’t need to keep any. Uber doesn’t accept dashcam videos. So you can’t use them as any defence, or to save your job, the only footage worth saving is for Insurance. If you are involved in a accident,

keeping footage isn’t wise either. Could get you in trouble or labeled a creep, I’m glad our laws here are good in regards to dashcam footage in passenger vehicles, it’s against the law for the driver to view the content, only the police are allowed to access,

FLKeys

Uber will watch dash cam footage, they may tell you they don't want it however provide it and they will watch it. They watched mine twice. I know this as I sent it as a private video and could tell they watched it twice by the watch count.

As far as how long to keep dash cam footage, well for as long as you are comfortable. My issue came two weeks after the incident supposedly occurred.

I started saving all my footage around the end of January 2019. I have my camera set to record 5 minute clips and only save the clips with PAX in the car. I can go through a days files in 3-7 minutes depending on how long I drove. Delete the ones without PAX and save the rest to a 6TB USB drive. I anticipate filling up a second 6TB USB drive some where around September this year. As I near that date I'll decide if I want to buy a third USB drive or start deleting the older ones. Most likely I'll get a third drive.

SatMan

In the past I have played the audio portion from my dash cam to support… Like I said, in the past. They would probably do the same thing now. And yes they do watch the videos as I’ve had the same thing happen as above.

I probably would’ve been permanently deactivated if I didn’t have a dash cam footage of this incident. It happened about 10 o’clock at night and by 5 PM the next day I was reactivated basically because of my windshield, Not the accident. I had already sent it in and the insurance end of UBER call me And cleared me of any wrongdoing.

Seamus

I don’t use a dashcam. But you should Change settings to loop, so it will overwrite the oldest videos.and only keep the current ones.

And you don’t need to keep any. Uber doesn’t accept dashcam videos. So you can’t use them as any defence, or to save your job, the only footage worth saving is for Insurance. If you are involved in a accident,

keeping footage isn’t wise either. Could get you in trouble or labeled a creep, I’m glad our laws here are good in regards to dashcam footage in passenger vehicles, it’s against the law for the driver to view the content, only the police are allowed to access,
Sorry but that is really misinformed bad advice.
  1. Never loop you will overwrite files possibly on the same shift so the footage becomes useless. At the end of the shift transfer to you home PC. Many accusations come after a few days or even weeks later.
  2. Uber says they don't accept dash videos but they actually do. In 2019 a pax said they were hurt in an accident in my car. There was no accident at all. I sent the video of the entire ride along with my incident report and never heard another word about it. Thank God for dash cam. Didn't even get put "on hold" for investigation.
  3. Wether Uber accepts the video or not who cares? The primary purpose is for your protection from possible legal matters.
You are very misinformed.

SatMan

that's an awful lot of terabytes....https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Portable-External/dp/B0713WPGLL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=JD0FQZGBMOX1&dchild=1&keywords=4t+storage+device&qid=1594734584&sprefix=4t+storage%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-1
Post automatically merged:

WD 4TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0040BBK-WESN
by Western Digital
4.5 out of 5 stars 50,090 ratings

Clothahump

Usually I keep 3 day's videos. How about you guys?
I have the occasional hot babe in the car. I've been known to copy those videos to disk. Or incidents of DWHUA drivers. Otherwise, I don't save the videos and I reformat the chip every couple of weeks.

dauction

In the past I have played the audio portion from my dash cam to support… Like I said, in the past. They would probably do the same thing now. And yes they do watch the videos as I’ve had the same thing happen as above.

I probably would’ve been permanently deactivated if I didn’t have a dash cam footage of this incident. It happened about 10 o’clock at night and by 5 PM the next day I was reactivated basically because of my windshield, Not the accident. I had already sent it in and the insurance end of UBER call me And cleared me of any wrongdoing.

wow.. Yep , Dashcam saved your backside.. you probably lost your stomach when you hit him. Too many people just aren't watching. Assuming he had been drinking? (to be able to get up after hit like that)

City Buses, School Buses ..I always pay extra attention for those passengers exiting the bus and doing the same thing

Boca Ratman

Uber doesn’t accept dashcam videos. So you can’t use them as any defence, or to save your job, the only footage worth saving is for Insurance. If you are involved in a accident,
Depends on the accusation. If the driver is accused of doing something that is deemed worthy of an investigation, they will accept & watch it. They will clear the driver if video proves innocence.

Ask me how I know.