• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

For all those saying Uber is taking more than 50%...

semi-retired

When you claim that Uber is taking more than 50% of the fare, where are they taking it from? What the Rider Pays? From what you Receive? I am curious... are they short trips they are taking that 50% from or long trips?

I have looked at several weeks worth of rides and I notice that if you are thinking they are taking 50% of what the rider pays from the fare then the answer is, yes they are, and this happens on a good portion of short trips. This 50% of the fare is because the Service Fee and Booking Fee goes to Uber. I have rides where Uber actually loses out of the Service Fee because of Long Distance Pickup fees or even subsidized fares, yet I receive what is due to me as the driver.

On long rides what I have seen is if I am foolish enough to speed, or take the short route then I am leaving money on the table for Uber to take. From what I can tell Uber loses part of the service fee when: A long distance pickup is involved or excessive wait time, this is money going into my pocket.

As much as I believe the rates we are paid is below fair market value and they need to be raised to a more reasonable level, I find it hard to believe that Uber is taking more than what they state they are allowed.

Is there anyone here that can show me where my analysis is off? I would like to know what I am missing...

And just out of curiosity is Uber taking extra for Service and Booking Fees during surges? I have only had one surge because I drive during the day and do not know.

Fauxknight

Uber's take has also increased since they introduced up front pricing. Combine that with the increased booking fee and lower rates and the pax end up paying more while the driver is making less. Guess where all that extra money is going?

Old Uber:
$1 Booking
Higher Rates
20% Commission

New Uber:
$2.20 Booking (Here at least)
Lower Rates, but charging more magically due to up front pricing
25% Commission

Even before all the changes people complained about Uber taking too much, but as time goes on they keep taking more and more.

I'm surprised Uber isn't giving upfront pricing to the driver, as in take this trip and you'll make x amount. Nice way to screw the driver over for McD stops or heavy traffic. Then since it's a 'guaranteed' value they can apply the pax's tips to it as well...Kalanick really missed out on that opportunity when he insisted there would be no in app tipping.

Drizzle

They take between 40-86% fo the fare charged to the customer, seems to be worse on longer rides, they pay the driver 10 cents a minute and 50 cents a mile and charge the customer $2 a mile.| 20% or 25% commission is a flat out lie they do not take a commission they charge the customer what ever they want and pay the driver a flat rate of 10 cents a minute and 50 cents a mile.

PLEASE STOP SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION

Fauxknight

Here ya go. Uber is taking up to 100% of the surge and not giving it do drivers anymore. Here they are taking 80%.
That's some crazy S. I mean what driver would drive for a base of $.81/mile and $.15/minute while paying a 25% commission? That is a terrible market to drive in. Not to mention the $2.40 booking, every number possible is worse in that scenario than in any decent market.

Then again, maybe the driver thought he was getting some big time surge. Jokes on him I guess.

semi-retired

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here ya go. Uber is taking up to 100% of the surge and not giving it do drivers anymore. Here they are taking 80%.
I would hope the driver used that screen shot as factual evidence of the rider being in a surge when the ride was requested... and got properly compensated.

I mean did you?

Believe it or not, computers make mistakes, after all they are created by... awe heck, you know that line.

bsliv

Uber is not paying drivers a percentage of the rider's fare. Drivers pay Uber a percentage of their rate.

Uber may present a surge to the drivers in order to get more drivers in an area. This will increase the rate to the drivers.

Uber may have a surge to the riders in areas where riders are less effected by the fares. This doesn't effect the driver's rate at all.

semi-retired

Uber is not paying drivers a percentage of the rider's fare. Drivers pay Uber a percentage of their rate.

Uber may present a surge to the drivers in order to get more drivers in an area. This will increase the rate to the drivers.

Uber may have a surge to the riders in areas where riders are less effected by the fares. This doesn't effect the driver's rate at all.
I am in agreement with what you stated bsliv

So the next question goes to Sickofthissh that posted this pic, I am curious as to what the $93.67 Service Fee was for on this trip. Because I may have misinterpreted what I saw at a quick glance earlier. ((My analytical brain is having a hard time comprehending the discrepancy))

uberwhat.png

Atom guy

I would hope the driver used that screen shot as factual evidence of the rider being in a surge when the ride was requested... and got properly compensated.

I mean did you?

Believe it or not, computers make mistakes, after all they are created by... awe heck, you know that line.
No, Uber is testing flat rate fare bumps for drivers instead of paying them 75% of the surge. So in this case of a huge surge, the driver lost out big.

cratter

The percentage uber takes will only increase with time as they set whatever price they want and have you locked in already at a certain time and distance amount.

Some people here love to talk about how they deliver pizzas, it's like Dominos paying you you're 27 cents a mile and minimum wage, yet they can charge whatever they want for the a pizza (including a high delivery fee).

Mista T

Author
Is Uber paying what we have agreed to? Yes. But "what we agreed to" has changed multiple times, without warning, and without our say.

When I started they had just kicked driver pay from 80% to 75%. The 80s are grandfathered in, which begs the question. .. why can't the rest of our pay agreements be grandfathered in?

The agreement was that Uber would charge the pax $XX and we would receive 75% of that. Then all of a sudden, there is a booking fee, and we got none of it. Then the booking fee increased. And again.

Then Uber decided that they would charge whatever they wanted, but instead of drivers getting 75% of the fare we were to get 75% of time and distance instead.

Some drivers filed a lawsuit, which is still pending. Uber quickly changed the TOS. Drivers saw a message saying We have updated our TOS, please click I Agree in order to continue driving. No explanation, just a 45 page TOS agreement in fine print to read on a cell phone. No options, either take it or leave it.

So when the minimum ride in my city costs the pax $6.90 and I get $3.75, and I had to drive for free to pick them up, and wait up to 5 minutes for the pax to get in the car, I get a little bent out of shape.

bsliv

Is Uber paying what we have agreed to? Yes. But "what we agreed to" has changed multiple times, without warning, and without our say.

When I started they had just kicked driver pay from 80% to 75%. The 80s are grandfathered in, which begs the question. .. why can't the rest of our pay agreements be grandfathered in?

The agreement was that Uber would charge the pax $XX and we would receive 75% of that. Then all of a sudden, there is a booking fee, and we got none of it. Then the booking fee increased. And again.

Then Uber decided that they would charge whatever they wanted, but instead of drivers getting 75% of the fare we were to get 75% of time and distance instead.

Some drivers filed a lawsuit, which is still pending. Uber quickly changed the TOS. Drivers saw a message saying We have updated our TOS, please click I Agree in order to continue driving. No explanation, just a 45 page TOS agreement in fine print to read on a cell phone. No options, either take it or leave it.

So when the minimum ride in my city costs the pax $6.90 and I get $3.75, and I had to drive for free to pick them up, and wait up to 5 minutes for the pax to get in the car, I get a little bent out of shape.
No options, take it or leave it. It may suck but that's the fact. If Uber had said they'd guarantee the terms for some period of time it might be different. Uber isn't in business to make drivers rich. What was once a good side gig is a bit of a joke now. Given the health risks involved, watching TV seems better to me.

Just so everyone knows this is not my fare it is one I found on here or maybe reddit I'm not sure. It should be noted however check your own because Uber has obviously given themselves a big raise now taking upwards 50% frequently.

I am in agreement with what you stated bsliv

So the next question goes to Sickofthissh that posted this pic, I am curious as to what the $93.67 Service Fee was for on this trip. Because I may have misinterpreted what I saw at a quick glance earlier. ((My analytical brain is having a hard time comprehending the discrepancy))

View attachment 197981
This was not my fair but that is Uber's cut. The driver was mad and emailing support and support told him to pound sand that's just how it is now.

Uber315

When you claim that Uber is taking more than 50% of the fare, where are they taking it from? What the Rider Pays? From what you Receive? I am curious... are they short trips they are taking that 50% from or long trips?

I have looked at several weeks worth of rides and I notice that if you are thinking they are taking 50% of what the rider pays from the fare then the answer is, yes they are, and this happens on a good portion of short trips. This 50% of the fare is because the Service Fee and Booking Fee goes to Uber. I have rides where Uber actually loses out of the Service Fee because of Long Distance Pickup fees or even subsidized fares, yet I receive what is due to me as the driver.

On long rides what I have seen is if I am foolish enough to speed, or take the short route then I am leaving money on the table for Uber to take. From what I can tell Uber loses part of the service fee when: A long distance pickup is involved or excessive wait time, this is money going into my pocket.

As much as I believe the rates we are paid is below fair market value and they need to be raised to a more reasonable level, I find it hard to believe that Uber is taking more than what they state they are allowed.

Is there anyone here that can show me where my analysis is off? I would like to know what I am missing...

And just out of curiosity is Uber taking extra for Service and Booking Fees during surges? I have only had one surge because I drive during the day and do not know.
Here is one crazyone . I don’t get Surge and riders gets raped . Although they take losss on pool trips. And make it up on these fares.

Attachments

Mars Troll Number 4

Just so you know... the cab company i drive for... they get less than 25-33% of my fares every day. They cover the insurance, they provide the car, they provide the call center, they provide the app... the maintain the car, they aren't losing money either...

Uber is taking WAY TOO MUCH for what they are providing, namely dispatched fares, credit card processing, and commercial insurance.

I am getting all of that, plus a car to drive, and the cab company is taking no more than 33%, leaving me with 60% or so after gas/tolls.

25rides7daysaweek

I have noticed they seem to get in a little quicker if i start the trip when i get there. We get paid for time after 2 minutes anyway but at least we can get moving and get the mileage going. The faster we get the job done the faster we can get to the next fare...

Drizzle

Then they push for full automation and self driving cars when they dont even pay the driver $6 an hour, human drivers are much much cheaper. The minimum should be .17cents a minute bc I would like to make at least minimum wage to sit in my car and wait for someone while they go to the store.

semi-retired

The minimum should be .17cents a minute bc I would like to make at least minimum wage to sit in my car and wait for someone while they go to the store.
You're cheap. This should not be about minimum wage, this should be $15 an hour. Com'n Man get with the times! If peeps can demand $15 an hour to flip a frozen meat patty and squirt ketchup on it then an Uber Driver who literally takes the life of their passenger in their hands should be worth at least $15.

Seriously think about this. It should not take long.

You pick up a passenger who has no idea who you are or what your driving habits are like. They do not know if you just sucked down a 5 hour energy drink after driving all night or if you just popped a no doze after being in class all day. Orrrr perhaps you just got pulled over for speeding 20mph over in a school zone.

Are you really thinking that we should be only getting $7.50/hr Federal Minimum wage? Oh to the F@(K NO! You are literally operating a motor vehicle and obeying all the traffic laws and trying to get a person to an approximate location in a relatively appropriate time you are doing far more important work than burger flipping.

There are other things I can throw on this but seriously... STOP! STOP! STOP! thinking minimum wage, think bigger $15 minimum.

So that is $0.25/min but remember that is ONLY if you are waiting or driving... then toss miles on top of that of say $1.50/mi and you would be more appropriately compensated for the medium risk career field you are currently operating in.