• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

flying onto lax... where best to get uberx

hanging in there

I know some of the shuttles have started to wise up. Flying in tues morn. (Tomorrow morn). If anyone wants the trip, pm me. Destination is Upland, you can meet me and my daughter. :-)

hanging in there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would love to see a screen shot of that ride to Upland n how much it costed :rolleyes:
It came to just under $66 and net $6 after my $20 first ride bonus was applied. Can't complain since it would have been 3x as much with a taxi, but...
it would have been less if the newbie driver had any idea where he was going or what he was doing. It should have been about $7-$9 less, without all the "getting lost and confused" part of the trip, as well as the unexplained penchant he seemed to have for NOT using the carpool lane for 90% of the ride even though it would have sped up the trip considerably and lessened my time charges.

The option to use Uberpool would have lowered the ride cost even more, but I knew that by doing that, I would be abusing the system since there was almost no chance of fitting 2 more riders in that little car with my daughter and I along with all our luggage, some of which did not fit in the trunk.

The other option would have been to have my roomie pick me up. When you figure the averaged actual cost per mile for her to pick us up for the round trip (not just gas), it would have been close to $40 since she drives a minivan. It would have been silly to ask her for that favor for such a small amount of net savings. Who in their right mind would ask someone to wake up at 5am, fight traffic for an hour, fight the airport loop traffic, find us, drive us another hour home to save...$6 ??? Ha. I'll take the clueless newbie Uber driver.

hanging in there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wait, how much did you actually pay? Net $6?? Either way, I agree, why not take advantage of it if it's there!? I don't know if you 've driven for that rate though. :smiles:
Well, that's the irony. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that if I got a 55 mile trip that took me to the Inland Empire from LAX, it would basically suck and I wouldn't want to do it as an UberX, especially with a gas-sucking minivan for X rates, not XL. At least my driver had a small fuel-efficient car.
If, as a driver I was waiting for surge I might be waiting quite a while, and I hate waiting as a driver. So I probably would have done the trip, then hoped to get something else in the IE that took me back towards OC or LA.

On the other hand, as the customer, if it started to surge I would have just waited out the surge, I would not have paid it. As a customer I have no problem waiting or making other arrangements. If need be, I could have order UberPool, which would have given me a fixed, non-surge rate, then called the driver immediately to verify that there was room for the two of us, our luggage, and up to 2 more pax, if it was not obvious from the vehicle pic. Then I would have cancelled and reordered if needed.