1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Florida | For Uber, loyal drivers and a new fight for unemployment benefits

Discussion in 'News' started by chi1cabby, May 22, 2015.

1. chi1cabby

chi1cabby Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article21599697.html

At the start of 2015, McGillis said he decided to pursue a higher income by entering Uber’s XL program and avoid a commission increase for the UberX drivers. He said he declined Uber’s financing program but borrowed money on his own to purchase a 2015 Outlander for about $30,000.

The trouble came during the Ultra Music Festival in March. An Uber passenger opened his Outlander’s door only to have it whacked by a scooter, according to McGillis’ account. An email exchange between him and the company show that Uber urged him to file a claim, but McGillis wanted the passenger’s address to pursue reimbursement. Uber refused, citing privacy concerns.

“I am going to the passenger’s home tonight to get their names since you won’t provide them,” McGillis wrote in a March 30 email to an Uber executive.

By April, Uber had deactivated McGillis’ driver account, freezing him out from potential fares. It also paid for the damages. He filed for unemployment benefits, saying he was wrongly terminated. Uber has until June 9 to appeal the state’s ruling. McGillis said he’s living off of savings and facing a $600 monthly car payment he can’t afford.

2. chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
  3. UberBlackDriverLA

UberBlackDriverLA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Uber is going to need to change its business model. State by state, they are going to keep losing their independant contrsctor battle.

4. KingJimmy

KingJimmy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't want to be classified as a W2 employee. I don't consider this good news.

Courageous and uberstatecollege like this.
  5. HoverCraft1

HoverCraft1 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX

6. UberBlackDriverLA

Driving:
    Livery
    If this doesn't send a clear message to investors, they deserve all the losses they are going to take!

50 billion my ass

7. UberBlackDriverLA

Driving:
    Livery
    Why?

Minimum wage plus car expenses reimbursed (including auto insurance), unemployment, workers comp, healthcare, the ability to unionize AND you can still work your own schedule.

8. KingJimmy

KingJimmy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you thinking making it more expensive for Uber to do business is going to make it possible for you to make better money, then you should go read a book on Economics.

By the way, a company doesn't have to reimburse you for expenses. People write off UREEs every year.

9. chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Read the Buzzfeed article. It has many more details leading upto the Driver filing the Unemployment Compensation claim against Uber.

In order for Uber to avoid Drivers being classified as Employees rather than ICs, going forward, it would need to change Drivers policies to give Drivers more control on how they do the work, and scrap summary deactivations without cause or appeals.

10. KingJimmy

KingJimmy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I read all of that. Personally, I think Uber turning this into a w2 type of job will hurt part time drivers like me in the long run. Frankly, it seems like some of you guys won't be happy until Uber is just deemed a taxi/limo company, and operates exactly like one.

And I'm not sure why? Because guess what... most taxi drivers aren't happy about their career choice either, in spite of the unions, labor laws and regulations that cover their industry.

Little good can come from pursuing what you guys are chasing after.

UberBlackPr1nce and taximan like this.
  11. Choochie

Choochie Well-Known Member

Love it!

Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  12. UberBlackDriverLA

Driving:
    Livery
    In California, an employer is required to reimburse expenses.

Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  13. UberBlackDriverLA

Driving:
    Livery
    Uber is a taxi company

14. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Spoken like someone considering only their own particular self interest - and someone who doesn't *need* to work those part-time hours driving Uber.

Labor laws exist for a reason: they prevent exploitation.
    Driver's ARE being exploited, whether they know it or not - whether they like it or not - whether they agree to it or not.
    In this country (the USA), companies don't get to paint a rosy picture for the public on the one hand and exploit workers on the other.
    Under the Fair Labor & Standards Act (FLSA) workers cannot even 'waive' most of the rights afforded them (because that leads to exploitation).

A LOT of good can and will come from holding Uber and LYFT to the same standards as other companies.

SydX, Driveronedge, Nooa and 7 others like this.
  15. KingJimmy

KingJimmy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If people want to go work for a legit taxi company, then they need to go do that.

16. Txchick

Txchick Moderator Moderator

Also will have to give up some control how much a driver can charge for a trip

17. KingJimmy

KingJimmy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm speaking of my own self interest, though I'm sure a lot of other part timers would agree with me. The way things work right now make me more than happy. I would rather nothing change, except for possibly slightly higher pay.

And you are right, I don't "need" to work for Uber. I make a pretty comfy living in my professional job. I just do this part time to have a little extra cash and to more aggressively pay off some credit card debt, and to build a bigger nest egg.

And if you "need" Uber, why should that be my problem? Why should my life be negatively impacted? If you "need" Uber, you are looking out for your own self interest just as much as I am mine. Uber works for some people and not others. Why should we shuffle everything just for you?

Nobody has to work for Uber. If Uber is not a good deal to them, then they need to look elsewhere. Uber is a good deal for some of us.

UberBlackPr1nce and BKNY75 like this.
  18. Txchick

Txchick Moderator Moderator

Yep you part time Uber drivers will drive for .30 cents per hour, that's why the flood the markets with drivers. You are not a independent contractor with Uber. The only control you have is when & how long you drive.

19. Casuale Haberdasher

Casuale Haberdasher Well-Known Member

POSTS # 1,2,9 /chi1cabbychi1cabby: "Marooned
    on Marco" Bison is Thrice
    Thankful for St. Comity's Hyperlinked
    Contributions from Casuale's 2nd
    HomeState. "Bottomless Duplicity"
    requires the Only Proven Disinfectant:
    the Harsh Reality of Bright Sunlight!

Well done, "NewsMeister!
    Appreciative Ungulate beaming.

Fuzzyelvis, Courageous and Txchick like this.
  20. UberBlackDriverLA

Driving:
    Livery
    How does being an employee negatively impact you?

Michael - Cleveland likes this.