1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership.

Flex full time??

Discussion in 'Flex' started by Lori S, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Lori S

Lori S

New here. Is there anyone who is able to deliver for Amazon Flex full time in the Chicago-Lisle area? Is it possible??

BostonTaxiDriver likes this.
  2. Maybe. But if you are so lazy that you can't even figure that out by searching through this forum... There is no way you will ever achieve it.

TXqwi3812 likes this.
  3. I''m not in your area but Flexing full time is a losing situation. I've done it full time for over a year and when it's all said and done with all expenses accounted for people working at McDonald's make more than us.

4. ScubaMark

ScubaMark

I am about to get RIFed at my 9 to 5 job and plan on using Flex and maybe Uber while I job search. I thought about making this my full time job until I retire. I’ve run the numbers and the earlier poster is correct. You won’t make that much after expenses and wear and tear on the vehicle. I tried many different ways to justify it as a full time job. Can’t make it work out.

5. Also Just to give you an idea of expenses. You will roughly have 17-18k worth of expenses per year if you work full time. That includes gas - car maintenance - repairs - tolls - tickets - tires/tire repairs and other incidentals.

These are expenses BEFORE TAXES are even accounted for. not to mention other things like a car payment or car insurance if applicable.

Use Flex to earn some cash but try to find a real job with some kind of benefits.

6. oicu812

oicu812

I think any gigs can be full time if one knows how to make it work to their advantage. But it's best to have backups.

7. Any way you slice it, the Gig economy is a bad idea.

No med benefits, no 401K, less than min wage, etc.

Tank_Driver likes this.
  8. Lori S

Lori S

Thank you all so much! I’ve been looking into a number of options to be more available for my kids. Are there any other flexible jobs that you can think of where having a child present isn’t a dealbreaker? I’ve been doing some research but I’m just not sure what direction to go in...

9. ScubaMark

ScubaMark

Do you mean having a kid “Ride”with you while you do the job? Definitely NOT Uber, and I would not suggest Flex either. I have a 6 year old grandchild I keep a lot of days, he could not/would not sit still for the amount of time it takes to run a route. And the chance of an accident where they could get injured is too great.

Just my opinion.

10. Lori S

Lori S

My son comes with me to do volunteer work and he does well. I would never drive Uber in general. My initial understanding was that flex driving was just picking up and dropping off packages near my home. However, since I have been reading this forum it seems that there’s a lot more to it and he may have to sit in the car for extended periods of time without me present, so I don’t know about that anymore.

11. IF you do Flex and want to have your son with you sometimes that is usually OK. Drivers do that all the time. However, it all depends on the size of your car.

IF you are in a regular sedan and doing dot com package blocks you can't have your son with you since the car will be too full. I've seen drivers in big suv's like a 4runner etc.. Have kids while doing dot com blocks with no problem though.

If you only do Whole Food deliveries your son will be fine.

Majority of Prime Now deliveries another person will be fine.

Fresh deliveries are too large and heavy to do with other people if you have a small car.

WIth a reg car Your best bet is the Whole Food flex deliveries since the routes are usually in nicer neighborhoods with fewer packages.

If you have an SUV you will be fine with any kind of block but the level of difficulty will range depending on what kind of block you accept.

Easy = Whole Foods
    Physically difficult = Dot Com
    High Mileage/Heavy = Fresh
    Mix of everything = Prime

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 1:07 PM
  12. oicu812

oicu812

Best gig with someone in the car is any of the food deliveries gig: Doordash, Grubhub, Postmates, UberEats.

Z129 likes this.
  13. When I was at the Anaheim DS, which is in Buena Park CA. , There was a woman with a Ford Flex, two kids in there car seats and was loading up. I wanted to say something but thought you got a do what ya got a do. Anaheim is really a truck dock so no driving into a warehouse.

14. oicu812

oicu812

There will not be any Flex going out of DLA2 this year. They are doing bulky pkgs now.

15. Bygosh

Bygosh

Lmao at these losers. OP its definitely profitable full time. Lots of people are just lazy, enjoy whining, are lying to you for less competition or they just suck at math.

Drive a fuel efficient (40mpg+) reliable car, diy your fluid changes and brakes and your expenses will come out to around 1.75-2.50/hr. You will pay 2-3x less taxes then an employee making 16/hr because of the mileage deduction.

16. Lori S

Lori S

Interesting. I’m not sure what city you are working in but have you been successfully driving full time? What other challenges do you run into? Also, do you use an accountant for your taxes?

17. ScubaMark

ScubaMark

I’m Not lazy, so stop labeling people you don’t know. I was deliberate in saying it did not work for ME. Stop being an a$$hat.
    You may be right, but for me the numbers don’t work for full time. I Don’t have a 40+ mpg car, and I don’t mind working, been doing 1 a day for the past 15 days straight. I found in DFW it’s hard to get consistent blocks (2 a day) especially on the Dallas side, I know there are senarios that work, and if I had a more fuel efficient car it might for me. LMAO at the a$$hat losers. To the OP, it might work for you, be sure and check the numbers. It doesn’t work for me right now. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:30 AM
  18. Bull****. This isn’t a profitable gig full time. You don’t value yourself that is why you think you are making a profit. LMAO

I do all my own car maintenance beyond just oil and brakes too. But 99% of flex drivers won’t.

Also if you factor in the opportunity cost to just get a block this is less than min wage. You’re an idiot.

You will drive 5k plus miles per month full time. You will need to do a synthetic oil change every month. You will need to change your brakes and rotors 2-3 times per year esp if you are a good driver since your driving style will be fast and more aggressive. You will change tires once a year. You will repair multiple tires per year. You will have to replace cv axles every year. Ball joints, shocks etc etc. there is a reason ups has on site mechanics fixing trucks everyday when drivers return. You suck at math. UPS has a checklist that drivers fill out when their shift is over for any issues the trucks are having and will be fixed by the next day. I haven’t even got into all the other expenses you aren’t accounting for.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    uberbomber, OJL, LauraC and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bygosh

Bygosh

Some people know how to make it work and others prefer crying on Facebook and other internet forums.

oicu812 and Flex89 like this.
  20. LMFAO. Bunch of whiny losers. Rent a car and get as many blocks as you can, but again, if you're so stupid and lazy that you just cant't do a bit of research... This Gig is not for you... Go work at a fast food place for minimum wage.